Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59754899

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been charged with a further count of rape.

The French international, of Prestbury in Cheshire, is now accused of seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault relating to five women.

The 27-year-old was charged last week with the latest offence but it was subject to reporting restrictions.

These restrictions were lifted earlier as Mr Mendy appeared at Chester Crown Court for a hearing ahead of his trial.

The latest charge relates to a new complainant and is alleged to have taken place in July this year.

The earlier charges are alleged to have happened between October 2020 and August 2021.

The footballer, who has been in custody since his arrest in August, appeared alongside his co-defendant Louis Saha Matturie, 40, of Eccles in Greater Manchester.

He is accused of six counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

Both men were remanded into custody at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool after the 40-minute hearing.

Their trial, which was scheduled for January, was also put back to later in the year.

Mr Mendy has played for last season's Premier League champions Manchester City since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52m.

20 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Youd like to think with the amount of players, managers and staff generally complaining about the amount of games they're forced to play that they'd combine their voices and speak up about it a bit more. Like you said as well no fans here are asking for this. So it'd surely be easy enough to combine player and club voices with fan voices. 

The only people asking for it are the people around the globe who dont interact with football as much as we do. Without the national games really I'd imagine. That's the market for it. More eyes to see ads on TV. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59750312

More and more needs to be made of this subject imo. Its just getting fucking silly and I dont see them slowing down. 

9 hours ago, number37 said:

It was always a bone of contention before the World Cup was expanded in the 90s (I think) that the whole of Africa would be allocated maybe 1 or 2 places but the UK alone was and still is allowed to enter 4 teams that could all qualify. No wonder we're sometimes accused of arrogance but it's a legacy of when we joined FIFA, they were so keen for legitimacy by having British involvement that they gave into our demand of four entries or no entries. Germany at the time weren't keen as they gave examples of having Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria, etc as members but such cold logic was discarded. 

Saxony, Bavaria, etc. were not independent nations, nor did they have a tradition of having separate national teams.  It wasn't arrogance, it was a political fact.  The composition of the UK is/was fundamentally different from that of Germany. A better analogy would be Austria-Hungary, which like the UK was a united kingdom, and which, prior to its dissolution, recognized the national sides of Austria, Hungary, and Bohemia. Austrian and Hungarian sides competed independently in the Olympic Games.

Germany and Italy, Spain, and Russian Empire/Soviet Union did not acknowledge the independence of its constituent states or state FAs. It  wasn't politically viable. I don't think France recognized or allowed for an independent Algerian side either. And the same was certainly true of any the newly (relatively) independent African nations in the 20th century. National identity was/is a preeminate goal. Nigeria was't going to recognize/allow for a Biafran national side any more than Spain would a Basque one. Independent national sides would be viewed (rightly, I think) as the first step towards independence. The Soviet Union was never going to countenace the existence of independent Baltic FAs (Lithuania, etc.) either. They had their own nationals sides prior to occupation. (or, at least Lithuania did, unsure of the others)

But you do see that in Denmark (the Faroes) and, somewhat surprisingly to me at least, China  (Hong Kong & Macao). And the Netherlands allowed for an independent Indonesian side: World Cup (1938?), Independence (1945?).

Guest Biggsbond14

Think the chronicle Newcastle united feed on the app has the worst set of writers ever ,chronic (excuse the pun) articles generally using people with zero connection to us and stories dredged off stories from betting sites and talkshite, losing Chris Waugh was the beginning of the end and guess they have about 20 writers working from home and no wonder most of the comments are slagging it off or the unwashed trying to wind fans up 

It’s the absolute pits. I remember a few years ago they ran an article with the headline of something like “You”ll never guess what Tammy Abraham said when he hit the post”.

underneath there was a picture of Tammy Abraham, and underneath that was the article which said “oh damn”. Like that was it those two words were the entire article. The headline was

literally longer than the article :lol: 

Edited by Rafalove

11 minutes ago, duo said:

Danny Murphy is an awful pundit - just watching a snippet from Talksport and he's saying it's the fans fault we're not shutting shop to nick a point as it's not what we want to watch.

Another one with a good agent and enough friends to stay busy. Shame as his reinvention as a deep lying midfielder was fun to watch.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Guybrush said:

Eh? Why are they targeting Shearer?

Probably did a video or something to tell people to get the vaccine.

1 minute ago, Guybrush said:

Eh? Why are they targeting Shearer?

He released a video on behalf of the Premier League saying the best thing we can do to make sure live sport with spectators continues is to get vaccinated. Something like that anyway. Good guy Alan, even if he wasn't as good a player as Rooney.

What the fuck is wrong with these jobless cunts, absolute fucking knackers the lot of them. If they turned up at my door they’d get shit thrown at them, and some 5G!

1 hour ago, carpetman1 said:

Have you not come across the same types that are sovereign citizens, “auditors”, that wander about prison and police stations ‘because we can’?

Yep. Come across them in my line of work. Feel like they can just walk into any public sector building and film what’s going on to then put it on YouTube. They demand to know people’s names but won’t give their own and often have their faces covered or obscured. Absolute weirdos.

This past weekend Barça held a referendum for refurbishing Camp Nou and the adjacent area. It passed, and work will begin next season and last two years.

I voted yes, because the stadium is really old and it shows, but the €1500 million pricetag gives me pause, given our current situation.

Edited by Village Idiot