Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

20 minutes ago, jdckelly said:

not as of yet but he has Portuguese and Isreali citizenship as well so seems complicated 

But then there's the "Where does your wealth come from " test thing which I know the Government will be loathe to use but its hard to see how they'd get out of it.

Was listening to a bit of Talkshite at work yesterday and they said that Kante was the best CDM they had ever seen and I agree with them. It got me thinking, who’s the best box to box midfielder of all time. For me, it’s Yaya Toure during that Man City period.  I thought Paul Pogba and Dele Alli would raise the standard but they’ve stagnated quite drastically. Yaya was something I don’t think I’ve ever seen before or after his retirement, someone who could drive up the field, skip challenges and finish exquisitely within stride. Gerrard was great but not Yaya level. I’d probably put him at the top of that Gerrard, Scholes Lampard debate but what Yaya did has yet to be equaled IMO. 

Pre takeover, I wanted Joe Aribo from Rangers. Think he has drive within him and is evident with two goals vs Brazil. Is it a position that stands out like it used to or has everyone just become a scurrying #6? 

Edited by Astroblack

7 hours ago, Astroblack said:

Was listening to a bit of Talkshite at work yesterday and they said that Kante was the best CDM they had ever seen and I agree with them. It got me thinking, who’s the best box to box midfielder of all time. For me, it’s Yaya Toure during that Man City period.  I thought Paul Pogba and Dele Alli would raise the standard but they’ve stagnated quite drastically. Yaya was something I don’t think I’ve ever seen before or after his retirement, someone who could drive up the field, skip challenges and finish exquisitely within stride. Gerrard was great but not Yaya level. I’d probably put him at the top of that Gerrard, Scholes Lampard debate but what Yaya did has yet to be equaled IMO. 

Pre takeover, I wanted Joe Aribo from Rangers. Think he has drive within him and is evident with two goals vs Brazil. Is it a position that stands out like it used to or has everyone just become a scurrying #6? 

Kante is the best I’ve seen in that position, before him it was Makelele. Box to box? Lampard for me, he was (IMO) underrated in many ways, he could pass like Gerrard or Beckham, score goals as if he was Alan Shearer, cover the pitch as if he was Kante, press as if he was in a LFC front 3, defend/jockey/track back/cover/intercept as if he was a Big Joe and he was consistent. Gerrard was more dynamic, but less of a player technically for me. Scholes was great, especially technically, but I think today he’s somewhat overrated or his actual abilities have been exaggerated somewhat. Toure is a great shout, but he was Pogba on speed basically and off the ball didn’t do as much as he could and should. 

Edited by HTT II

46 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Kante is the best I’ve seen in that position, before him it was Makelele. Box to box? Lampard for me, he was (IMO) underrated in many ways, he could pass like Gerrard or Beckham, score goals as if he was Alan Shearer, cover the pitch as if he was Kante, press as if he was in a LFC front 3, defend/jockey/track back/cover/intercept as if he was a Big Joe and he was consistent. Gerrard was more dynamic, but less of a player technically for me. Scholes was great, especially technically, but I think today he’s somewhat overrated or his actual abilities have been exaggerated somewhat. Toure is a great shout, but he was Pogba on speed basically and off the ball didn’t do as much as he could and should. 

Lampard was the attacking player in that trio though, Ballack was more of the box to box player

1 hour ago, 54 said:

And Ukrainian and Russian clubs playing in UEFA competitions are forced to play in neutral venues until further notice.

Russian teams should be banned from all European or International sports competitions.

4 hours ago, HTT II said:

How are we classifying Vieira in this mix?

As good as any midfielder the Premier League has seen

23 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Vieira is the best midfielder I’ve seen in the premier league. 

6 hours ago, tgarve said:

Lampard was the attacking player in that trio though, Ballack was more of the box to box player

I’m basing it more on his overall career at Chelsea rather than a spell with certain players.

2 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Joelinton for me, but Vieira is certainly up there.