Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest HTT II
6 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/20296093.watford-man-gosling-ranieri-hodgson-changes-edwards/

Weirdly candid interview with Gosling here. Not very often you see a current player digging out recent teammates and managers so openly.

Great read, it’s obvious how much a player like him got out of working under Howe and then when that wasn’t replicated at Watford, he wasn’t happy. He seems an obsessive, studious, workaholic type player, it wouldn’t surprise me if he goes into coaching and would aspire to be another Howe type coach. Watford are a strange club, I hope they stay down, along with WBA they have been one of the most boring of all all-time PL clubs. 

44 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Great read, it’s obvious how much a player like him got out of working under Howe and then when that wasn’t replicated at Watford, he wasn’t happy. He seems an obsessive, studious, workaholic type player, it wouldn’t surprise me if he goes into coaching and would aspire to be another Howe type coach. Watford are a strange club, I hope they stay down, along with WBA they have been one of the most boring of all all-time PL clubs. 

The only thing of interest Watford do are mind bleeding managerial appointments while simultaneously burning through them. Look at this shit:

https://www.transfermarkt.us/fc-watford/mitarbeiterhistorie/verein/1010

:lol: 

22 hours ago, 80 said:

Bearing in mind he grew up supporting them, was there never any serious talk about Howe going there?

Honestly, they likely thought he was beneath them.

Barcelona selling off another 15% of their TV rights to continue funding their current spending spree.

They've been able to launder their reputation vis a vis the whole “Mes que un club”, but the mask is really slipping.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

23 hours ago, The Butcher said:

wat

This one is way better👇🏻 Good old one. Gallea got this👌🏻 superb👍🏻

Edited by maze

Without getting all doom and gloom, who is the player if he left would make you the most gutted ? 

I love Bruno and ASM, Trippier is a total class act,  but mine would be big Joe, proper player, totally committed and he just seems to love to be part of Newcastle United 

Good question, @Ben and was thinking that myself recently. Adore Joe as well but I think if someone were to come in and rob Bruno from us then I think it would probably indicate that there's no hope of ever actually breaking down the established elite. We've made some good signings but he is stardust. Of everything that's happened since October, so far it's him being him here which dares you to think that something really special could happen. Botman might be another but I guess we dunno yet. 

7 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Good question, @Ben and was thinking that myself recently. Adore Joe as well but I think if someone were to come in and rob Bruno from us then I think it would probably indicate that there's no hope of ever actually breaking down the established elite. We've made some good signings but he is stardust. Of everything that's happened since October, so far it's him being him here which dares you to think that something really special could happen. Botman might be another but I guess we dunno yet. 

I don't think that's true. I agree with the whole of the rest of your post, and Bruno is my answer to that question too, but there's no use in letting yourself get despondent about something like that happening, the pessimism is self-fulfilling.

If he ever left, there's a decent chance it would be for £100m+, so the question to ask is what we could achieve with that money. Again, I think your description of him as stardust is spot on, but it was dreamy sentiment that saw Robson blocked from selling an ageing Shearer to Liverpool and future-proofing the team, and the rest is history.

If the club wants to be bigger than an iconic player, it needs to act like it's bigger than an iconic player.

Fair points but I took Ben's hypothetical question to refer to the present day; i.e. if someone left right now. I don't believe for a second it would happen but if, for eg, Chelsea came in and whacked something ridiculous down like £80-100m for Bruno and he left - having only been here six months - it really would make you wonder why we're bothering at all. Forget anyone other than the ESL chums having a player of that calibre. Reinvest all you like, sure, but don't get used to the idea of having a superstar - they're not for you in this day and age.  

Like I say, this is all hypothetical and I don't believe that would actually happen; just responding to the question. Providing we ascend in line with his ambition, I can see the likes of Bruno going on to be legendary for us. I believe our future is truly in our hands: which is why it would be so galling if the above did happen thereby confirming it actually isn't. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Fair points but I took Ben's hypothetical question to refer to the present day; i.e. if someone left right now. I don't believe for a second it would happen but if, for eg, Chelsea came in and whacked something ridiculous down like £80-100m for Bruno and he left - having only been here six months - it really would make you wonder why we're bothering at all. Forget anyone other than the ESL chums having a player of that calibre. Reinvest all you like, sure, but don't get used to the idea of having a superstar - they're not for you in this day and age.  

Like I say, this is all hypothetical and I don't believe that would actually happen; just responding to the question. Providing we ascend in line with his ambition, I can see the likes of Bruno going on to be legendary for us. I believe our future is truly in our hands: which is why it would be so galling if the above did happen thereby confirming it actually isn't. 

Oh, leaving right now? Ok, you might be right, I would be gobsmacked :lol: Yeah, it's pretty easy to make the argument he's worth more than £100m to us today because he's talismanic to people outside our club of where we're going. Lose that and what are we?

Going away on my honeymoon and hoping for some football book recommendations. I’ve done the standards (Inverting the Pyramid, Among the Thugs, Miracle of Castel Di Sangro, etc) so looking for something more current or off the beaten track

1 hour ago, woody said:

Going away on my honeymoon and hoping for some football book recommendations. I’ve done the standards (Inverting the Pyramid, Among the Thugs, Miracle of Castel Di Sangro, etc) so looking for something more current or off the beaten track

Harry Pearsons "The far corner"

Karl Ove Knausgaard and Frederik Ekelund "Home and away"