Manchester United vs Newcastle United - 16/10/22 @ 14:00 (No UK TV)

Shelvey has played his most consistent football under Howe. Under Benitez he was patchy at best but he's never stood out in a match as being terrible like he used to since Howe took over. He sits deeper in the midfield 3 and allows Bruno further forward more often.

Still though like Vlad has said above ideally we get a better defensive minded midfielder than Shelvey within the next 2 windows.

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

I'm far from his biggest fan and even when he was better and fitter under Howe, I still wasn't convinced.  I think he is better than Longstaff and more suited to that deeper role than he is.  Longstaff is still pretty crap on the ball and don't think he offers much.  Just fairly decent at pressing at times, whilst not exactly being quick or mobile.  I 100% get why people want him back.  As an option for certain games, at the very least. 

Ideally, we will get someone to play the DM role.  That said, I'm not sure if if that is what Howe will go with long term.  Or if he will have a more fluid 3 and there will still be place for Joelinton in his hybrid role on the left. 

I just don’t see who he get's in ahead of if everyone is fit, I get the Bruno is wasted sitting deep argument but it’s working at the moment, so why change until we get a suitable DM. All the metrics are better without Shelvey i.e. running and keeping possession. We always look exposed at the back with Shelvey holding and nobody will ever convince me he’s anything more than a 1 game in 10 player. 

Totally disagree. We are a better football side with Shelvey in the side over someone like Longstaff. Willock is edging himself ahead in the pecking order but that's because he has dynamic running which noone else in our squad has.

Shelvey is going to be crucial when we have European football and we need to rotate the squad. 

33 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Massively underrated under Howe and would have him all day ahead of Shelvey. 

I agree he's underrated but he's still average and doesn't posess any key attributes like Shelvey does with his passing and vision.

4 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’m (genuinely for a change!) going to be overseas (Copenhagen) any ideas where/how to watch it? 

Try The Globe Irish Pub in Nørregade, close to Nørreport Station. Nice pub and as central as you can get in Copenhagen.

When I lived there, it used to be the place where the local Newcastle fans meet. Don’t know if they still meet there, but I’m sure the game will be on. 

1 hour ago, La Parka said:

I think there's argument for playing a right footed lb vs Antony. Bit like tomiyasu did vs Salah. 

Quite surprised by Antony being identified as the main threat by many in here. I know he has scored in every game but that's pretty much all he has done and his generally play has been quite underwhelming.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

Quite surprised by Antony being identified as the main threat by many in here. I know he has scored in every game but that's pretty much all he has done and his generally play has been quite underwhelming.

Thought he was the best winger in the world or something?

Just looked at the table .

Win this and we catapult ourselves in with a top 6 real feel chance , spine tingling. Draw and 7th becomes doable imho.

Big test this for EH and the lads to see where we are as a group , wish we were 100% full strength . 

Our record going to Old Trafford is shite, if it was at St James's I'd be more confident. 

It worries me that Murphy has faced a Fulham side down to 10 men and a Brentford side who didn't know their arse from their elbow, yet, Murphy has suddenly become a player? For me he did ok, better than usual against those sides under the circumstances. 

We can't go into this naive playing Murphy, Longstaff, even Burn......

Joelinton, ASM, and Target must be restored (imo)

If Isak was fit I'd even drop Willock and have Miggy as a 10 and Isak right inside forward or move ASM to the right and Isak left inside forward. 

Literally gung ho Keegen!

Edited by mighty__mag

7 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Our record going to Old Trafford is shite, if it was at St James's I'd be more confident

Exactly my feelings. I'd really fancy us to get something at SJP, away I'm not so sure.

That being said, we don't have anything to fear. They do look better recently and still have a hugely talented squad.

Approach it like we did against Man City at home and the first half at Anfield and we have nothing to fear. I'm sure we will.

The first time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to watching us at Old Trafford. Good test to see where we are.

22 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Our record going to Old Trafford is shite, if it was at St James's I'd be more confident. 

I feel that it is no longer relevant to "look back on our record" for anywhere or anything, prior to last October.

We are a new club, a brand new club, with new management and a new team situation.

Nothing prior to October last year is of any relevance, so no point in "looking back" at trends prior that date!

Edited by manorpark

49 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

If Isak was fit I'd even drop Willock and have Miggy as a 10 and Isak right inside forward or move ASM to the right and Isak left inside forward. 

Literally gung ho Keegen!

No chance. Silly to move Miggy inside when he’s been playing like he has at RW, Willock will be needed vs their press to. ASM starts if fit enough, Isak bench for me.

Edited by Nine

6 hours ago, Nine said:

No chance. Silly to move Miggy inside when he’s been playing like he has at RW, Willock will be needed vs their press to. ASM starts if fit enough, Isak bench for me.

Isak should start on the bench because he might not be fit but he needs to start when he is fit.  We haven't seen much of him but what we have seen he looks great, I think he was probably carrying that injury as well.  He also scored 2 in 3 and had one disallowed that was just fucking exceptional play by him.

1 hour ago, relámpago blanco said:

Isak should start on the bench because he might not be fit but he needs to start when he is fit.  We haven't seen much of him but what we have seen he looks great, I think he was probably carrying that injury as well.  He also scored 2 in 3 and had one disallowed that was just fucking exceptional play by him.

Start him over Wilson? Or out wide?