Southampton vs. Newcastle United - 6/11/22 @ 2pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

18 hours ago, Disco said:

Anywhere decent in Glesga city centre to potentially watch the game? 

Im in Glasgow mate , can catch it in the usual chain places walkabout / O’Neill’s etc ,

coopers is great just outside the centre

The ark is good in the centre loads of screens 

waxy o Connor’s 

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/every-word-ralph-hasenhuttl-newcastle-7782272

This is the last home game in the Premier League you have before the World Cup, how important is it to take points?

"It's very important and a very tough game against a strong side. They have conceded ten goals in all the games so far and we've conceded 20. They have [a goal difference of] 14 I think and we've scored 11 or something like that. You see that, with clean sheets, you can achieve a lot. They've done it in a fantastic way. A strong side."

They're fourth in the table, do you think they have what it takes to stay there?

"Absolutely. That is the target I think for them. They want to become a top six club and I think this is the goal and they are in a good way to do this because they have a strong side."

Do you look at them with envy when you see what they've been able to do in the last couple of transfer windows?

"No. We look at our chances and on our level and I think it's not the club we want to compete with."

It's a very different transfer strategy, isn't it?

"A different potential, maybe from the money they can spend. But they have different targets and you have to have money to do this."

How much have you been impressed by Eddie Howe at Newcastle United?

"This is only the one side - the other side is that you have to work with the players you have and I mean Eddie was very long in Bournemouth and in the end he struggled with this team and then had no other job until he went to Newcastle and in Newcastle he showed immediately that he knows what he does with a team and this was, for me, not a surprise that he will be successful with his team."

Have you kept an eye on Matt Targett after you worked with him at the start of your time here?

"You have all the former players that have been with you in your game in your sights - you have them in your mind - and you watch them and you see them how they're doing when they're going to other clubs. This is normal, I think."

How do you cope with the ferocity of Newcastle's team?

"It's impressive to see how they're doing and I think they definitely have the players to do this and not every player is playing in the moment. Allan Saint-Maximin was not playing all the time and he [Howe] is now going more for the players that give you this. This intense game, lots of high-speed running, especially against the ball.

"And we all know that this can be a very nasty way of setting an opponent under pressure. But we also have been a team with this style, as you said, and we know teams like this. I think when we do it really well we can still cause them some issues. Sometimes you don't get a lot of chances against this team, that's for sure I think, but when we have a good evening we have shown we can break their rhythm. Especially with our ground and with our fans in the back, I think we should be able to cause them some issues and this is the goal for this Sunday."

Do you see quite a few similarities between you and Eddie Howe in your style of coaching and the way your philosophies are?

"Maybe you know more about him and how he's working. I cannot say about his total philosophy. What do I do worse and such. But I think he's one of the of the young managers in England that has a lot of experience in the Premier League. He had a long time working in Bournemouth and finally got now a club where he can show how he deals with a bigger side and this is fantastic to watch."

Honestly I'm not entirely convinced by Maxi off the bench as an impact player. For all he has great pace and dribbling ability he's a player who often seems to need to work his way into a groove in a game. I'd be tempted to start him and have Murphy being the one to come on against tired legs after an hour.

24 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Honestly I'm not entirely convinced by Maxi off the bench as an impact player. For all he has great pace and dribbling ability he's a player who often seems to need to work his way into a groove in a game. I'd be tempted to start him and have Murphy being the one to come on against tired legs after an hour.

In his previous appearances he has looked up more when in possession.Without our main defensive midfield player,ASM cannot be a like for like replacement surely.Could Anderson not fill in for Big Joe?

3 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

In his previous appearances he has looked up more when in possession.Without our main defensive midfield player,ASM cannot be a like for like replacement surely.Could Anderson not fill in for Big Joe?

Or we could just play ASM in his best position on the left instead of Murphy. Would probably make sense given he’s about ten times the player.