Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

Personally think Man Utd are very good side, one or 2 short of competing for prem. Varane, Martinez and Casemiro are all world class players, probably put Fernandez in that category too.

Reflecting on the match now i'm not pissed i think a new number 9 is needed, wilsons lost a yard of pace it seems. Like to see Targett get a run of games too

Edited by NUFC91

7 hours ago, Rafalove said:

This is a terrible take.

God forbid anyone should enjoy anything in their lives at the moment. :lol: It doesn't even apply. As Bruno put it, he's proud but he's not happy, I think that sums it up.

It's being said as if it's some kind of controversial 300-esque rallying cry, but it just comes across as emotional immaturity from a pure misery who can't think beyond good or bad.

4 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

To say the club has “failed” is an insult to players, staff and the owners.

Never liked the bloke since he tried to tell me that Nicky Butt was in our top 5 CM of all time. He can fuck right off. 

He said what?

Hard disagree with Martin about this weekend, but also disagree with the idea the fans have no impact on players, both in the short term, in a match, and in the long term, about how a player feels about their prospects if they join or stay at a club. Surprised it would be controversial actually. This would imply Sean Longstaff was unaffected by historic criticism, or that Bruno Guimaraes's reception has had no impact upon how he feels about staying to try and achieve success here rather than at A.N.other English club. It seems pretty Ashley-esque to be honest. The spectacle impacts the spectating players who impact the result, surely?

Players read the room when assessing whether a club is there to win things or roll over and die, just like we do. But totally agree that getting petulant at the first time of asking, after the 18 months we've had, would be totally the wrong tone. The final was about announcing and consecrating the fact we're back.

Edited by 80

26 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Personally think Man Utd are very good side, one or 2 short of competing for prem. Varane, Martinez and Casemiro are all world class players, probably put Fernandez in that category too.

Reflecting on the match now i'm not pissed i think a new number 9 is needed, wilsons lost a yard of pace it seems. Like to see Targett get a run of games too

Yeah, that's fair.  They have spent fortunes of late, they now have a proper manager and after their shaky start early on.  It has really clicked for them this season. 

It's also not spoken about enough how fine the margins are in elite sport.  Casemiro was onside/offside by a gnat's cock.  Rashford's scuffed shot is going wide, hits Botman and then loops over Karius.  Could have easily deflected straight into his face or something and it'd still be saved.  

I know that argument can be used both ways, as they had plenty of chances second half on the counter.  But it felt like a really tight game for 30 odd minutes or so.  Then 2 goals in 5 minutes absolutely ended us.  

Clutching at straws but it was also a valuable life lesson for my two sons...

We have not gone and bought the best players, silverware etc but we are growing the club on an upwards journey.

And when we do win everything Amanda says and winning becomes boring as it seems to do for the big clubs... At least my boys lived through the pain and joy, good times and bad.

Edited by RobsonsWonderland

Got back at about 8 last night from London, still absolutely fucked now.

Others have probably touched on it but it was genuinely fucking amazing at how London was black & white more or less everywhere. No matter what bar I went in and no matter what time of the day or early hours it was, there was at least a decent amount of NUFC in there. Walking through side-streets, down the tube at midnight - B&W all over, amazing. 

The match itself was obviously disappointing but like Bruno, I'm gutted but proud. Lets just make sure it isn't another 20 years, I'm sure it won't be.

As for the atmosphere inside Wembley, I agree it was pretty shit and flat, but not going to whinge and being a miserable bastard about it. It's hard to motivate yourself to jump up and down like a lunatic when it's essentially over by 37 minutes. But it is what it is.

Overall I can honestly say I'm so proud to be a Geordie after this weekend. It really did feel like the start of the new NUFC, despite losing. I've had a few texts off Mackems and other fans trying to take the piss. Let them, the reality is that they're fucking shitting it. They know what's coming and theres fuck all they can do about it.

PS please, please, please stop signing we've got bruno in the middle 297451535286251 times a game. Christ almighty man. I can still hear it now. 

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I thought the Man U squad pre-ETH was good and Ralf was holding them back. Now they've got rid of Ralf, got a competent manager in and made 3-4 great signings they look like the business.

I don't know if they'll become a 90+ point team but 85 points next year? Sure.

Some perspective for us in terms of squad values .... Man United have spent £1.3 Billion on transfers over the last 10 years, more than any other team in Europe.  There current squad cost £863 Million, the 3rd highest across Europe.  In the top 10 most expensive transfers in Premier League history, they've had 5 ( 4th Pogba, 6th Antony, 7th Maguire, 8th Lukaku and 10th Sancho ).  They sure have spent a lot of money !

1 minute ago, CM1961 said:

Some perspective for us in terms of squad values .... Man United have spent £1.3 Billion on transfers over the last 10 years, more than any other team in Europe.  There current squad cost £863 Million, the 3rd highest across Europe.  In the top 10 most expensive transfers in Premier League history, they've had 5 ( 4th Pogba, 6th Antony, 7th Maguire, 8th Lukaku and 10th Sancho ).  They sure have spent a lot of money !

Which squads are more expensive? PSG & Chelsea?

Yep we started really well, Maxi was rinsing Dalot and Bruno and Joelinton started brilliantly. Just pure bad luck we conceded from that set piece. Think Schar lost out on that header so not sure if he was still a bit dazed or just simply out jumped. 

22 hours ago, Wandy said:

Old Wembley was a dump but, dear me, the new one is absolutely soulless.

Fan park with a queue not worth waiting in despite looking quite empty inside the fan park. Someone said it was because there was too few staff on the bars. Queues for my turnstile were way bigger than you'd expect at premier league games. Once inside had to queue for ages once more to pay £15 for a beer and a hot dog. It's London I know. The occasion was massive and I hope we're playing there every season but new Wembley is shit IMO. Epitomises modern stadia.

Edited by Scoreboard82

22 hours ago, Wandy said:

I'm hearing more and more stories of our lot being abused on the tube and on the journey to the stadium by their wanker fans. Absolute scum, they are just a horrible fucking club. I will piss myself laughing if the Glazers fuck them over.

Broke our journey at Kilburn and they were everywhere. Same old shit. Cheer up Alan Shearer. "We've won it all". Heard them singing the one about the 2 Leeds fans killed in Turkey. Said to one of them that they put more into winding up opposition fans than supporting their own team. I agree. Horrible.

33 minutes ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Broke our journey at Kilburn and they were everywhere. Same old shit. Cheer up Alan Shearer. "We've won it all". Heard them singing the one about the 2 Leeds fans killed in Turkey. Said to one of them that they put more into winding up opposition fans than supporting their own team. I agree. Horrible.

Wondered where they all were because there were none around the rocket, Euston flyer like you would expect pre match. 

Got all the glory hunting Man Utd fans I went to school with eons ago coming out of the woodwork to celebrate the result. “Cheers pal, haven’t talked to you since that one drunken chat at the 10 year reunion but okay, please tell me more about how dedicated of a fan you are.”

40 minutes ago, Scoreboard82 said:

They really are a vile awful arrogant self entitled fanbase full of glory hunters that don’t have the first clue about football , we were right next to them and they spent more time trying to goad us than they did watching the match . They are the most horrible club and fanbase in the entire country , I have more respect for the mackems than I do Man United .

Edited by Geogaddi

On 27/02/2023 at 19:14, Wandy said:

I'm hearing more and more stories of our lot being abused on the tube and on the journey to the stadium by their wanker fans. Absolute scum, they are just a horrible fucking club. I will piss myself laughing if the Glazers fuck them over.

It went both ways on the tube I was on on the way back to london tbf. Gave back as good as we got and it ended up with smiles and handshakes. That was a couple hours after the game as we went to the boxpark to try and avoid them, so it's a fair shout that these particular fans had at least stayed, celebrated and soaked up the cup win. Couldn't believe the amount that were leaving even before the cup lift. Some walking off in silence, some more interested in getting in our faces singing about a striker they didn't sign 27 years ago. Either way I just cannot fathom that mentality.

Thought by their own (admittedly high) standards they were pretty quiet during the match itself, but I'm not convinced either that the acoustics at this new Wembley are that helpful. Old Wembley seemed louder in general and both sets of fans louder in 1996 in particular but that said I'm older, grumpier and slightly harder of hearing now.

Not sure any sane human being who’s a Newcastle fan can try and criticize the performance outside of the usual match by match annoyances individually. Big picture these times are a achaging and if you can’t be happy and proud of where we are today and where we are going after all we went through over the MA period then you’ve got some serious leveling out to do internally. 

we’ve got our club back, people traveled from all over the world to witness potential history and are all leaving MORE in love with NUFC than before. You had some coming into the city and just being around other Newcastle supporters and others going to London to be amongst the mix and others going to the match. We are a global fan base finally rowing in the same direction. It’s absolutely class and there’s not a single club that has what we have - our bond and connection. This stuff will set us apart when we do eventually lift that trophy.