Scott McTominay

Jack27

Always had O'Shea as an okay player who looked better for playing alongside elite players.  Utterly bombed once out of that environment and into his 30s. 

Burn is an okay player too.  But feels like his ability curve has been an upwards trend to this point.  

Also both perfect for their relative squad roles.  You wouldn't swap them, hypothetically.

Edited by David Edgar

2 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Always had O'Shea as an okay player who looked better for playing alongside elite players.  Utterly bombed once out of that environment. 

He had a good few seasons for us where he was top class. Proper professional as well. Scored some very important goals and of course nutmegged Figo in the Champions League. He's up there with Messi tbh.

2 hours ago, Froggy said:

I can't even begin to explain how wrong you are. :lol:  In what world was Dan Burn more useful than O'Shea? O'Shea made nearly 400 appearances for us and played every position on the pitch for us at some point.

O'Shea is lightyears ahead of Burn. Not even remotely close. 

Dan Burn has been a fixture in a team threatened by relegation to champions league in the space of a year.

O'Shea was surrounded by the best and always did a good/decent job when called on. Ultimately always just a space filler to do a job when the first choice wasn't available.

So yes I think it is fair to say Burn has been more useful to us than O'Shea ever was for you

On 28/05/2023 at 13:53, gjohnson said:

Dan Burn has been a fixture in a team threatened by relegation to champions league in the space of a year.

O'Shea was surrounded by the best and always did a good/decent job when called on. Ultimately always just a space filler to do a job when the first choice wasn't available.

So yes I think it is fair to say Burn has been more useful to us than O'Shea ever was for you

??

On 28/05/2023 at 13:53, gjohnson said:

Sorry but if froggy is correct with him playing over 400 games in many positions then burn is nowhere near as useful.

11 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Sorry but if froggy is correct with him playing over 400 games in many positions then burn is nowhere near as useful.

393 apps. Every played keeper for us at one point. Started at least one game in every position except for centre forward.

When Keane left the club he started 30+ games in midfield and was the preferred option over Fletcher and Park Ji Sung at the time. Similarly to when Rio got his ban for missing a drugs test, O'Shea was first choice CB for us and started 30+ games again that season. He was much more for us than a utility man. 

I would say even the most diehard Newcastle fans are appreciative of Burn but know he's one of the first names that will need replaced in order to take the next step up. Tierney would be a monumental upgrade on him at left back.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

393 apps. Every played keeper for us at one point. Started at least one game in every position except for centre forward.

When Keane left the club he started 30+ games in midfield and was the preferred option over Fletcher and Park Ji Sung at the time. Similarly to when Rio got his ban for missing a drugs test, O'Shea was first choice CB for us and started 30+ games again that season. He was much more for us than a utility man. 

I would say even the most diehard Newcastle fans are appreciative of Burn but know he's one of the first names that will need replaced in order to take the next step up. Tierney would be a monumental upgrade on him at left back.

Agreed but tierneys injury record isn’t great.

3 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Agreed but tierneys injury record isn’t great.

That's the only question mark isn't it? Very good player IMO and potentially available on the cheap.

26 minutes ago, DoricGinola said:

Made of rice paper, always has been.

For the money, we can do better 

Actually played in more games then I thought. 36 in total last season but I think he has been pushed down the pecking order.

You never know it might be one of those things where a new club is needed and injuries disappear!

(Still riles me that Steve Howey managed 4 or 5 games in a row for us and then went to Man City and played a 100 games in three years lol)

Screenshot_20230530-091559~2.png

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

At least he doesn’t have a fancy foreign name 

I'll only accept him here if his name is pronounced by everyone in the style of Matt Berry in Toast of London.

I'm not exactly head over heels at the idea of signing McTominay, primarily down the fact I just want more exotic pick ups like Bruno/Botman/Isak, but it's not exactly the end of the world if we get him. We're still going to be class next season with or without McTominay. 

McTominay - Longstaff (a few bad games version which leads to the opinion he's dogdirt) - Gordon

That will kill a few off. 

Edited by TBG

3 minutes ago, cranna said:

Anthony Gordon followed by Scott McTominay is cause for concern about EH's plans. He needs more elite players than these two.

Bizarre

Signing Mctominay would be a serious downer for me and i would have to question the "elite player" and "player has to better team" talk that has been bandied about. He is no better than any of our current midfielders and would be on a par perhaps with Longstaff and Anderson?