West Ham United 1-5 Newcastle United (05/04/2023)

BlueStar

2 hours ago, Menace said:

We were absolutely unreal and yesterday's performance basically ensured me we're getting top 4. West Ham were horrific, they've spent a pretty penny under Moyes also.

That Paqueta looked wank.

He was a menace, won the ball back off Joelinton and longstaff a couple of times.

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

He was a menace, won the ball back off Joelinton and longstaff a couple of times.

In a better team he'd look like a different player. West Ham didn't know what to do when they went forward aside from win a set piece.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Weird old game mind. I thought first half we were quite poor by our high standards, second half it was men against boys. 

I know it is a well used statement "Men against boys" but, I have played in a mans team against a team of boys and it was bloody hard work.  We got stuffed!  [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, Smal said:

honestly I am not sure any of our other players on the field at the time score. 

Maybe Bruno or Trippier? Not that they would be anywhere near that end of the pitch, but I think both have the composure and technical ability to pull it off. 

3 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

he was sound to be honest, gave us plenty of credit 

Absolutely. Was just funny how they had a pre-match bet not whether he would, but in which minute Wilson would score :lol:

Edited by Conjo

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Although the way that West Ham got given their stadium is an absolute disgrace, I don't think anyone's benefitted from it like. Probably the worst stadium in the league, awful. 

They’ve benefitted from it massively. 

you’ve seen the fortune Everton are trying to spend. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Although the way that West Ham got given their stadium is an absolute disgrace, I don't think anyone's benefitted from it like. Probably the worst stadium in the league, awful. 

Never been so probably not fit to comment but it just looks horrific. Looks like a temporary stadium from what I’ve seen on photos and videos. 

I have been to Upton Park 4 times (unbeaten there too!) and it was class. Proper working class, rough area round the ground and their atmosphere was mostly decent from what I remember. Felt like a proper football ground.

Spurs’ ground looks nice don’t get me wrong, but I don’t want us to ever leave SJP. Can’t believe there’s an appetite for it other than a capacity increase. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

They’ve benefitted from it massively. 

you’ve seen the fortune Everton are trying to spend. 

What I mean is that it's such an awful stadium that even though they got it for free, I would bet that most West Ham fans would rather they hadn't been given it and because of that I don't think it helps the team. I've never been but just looking at it on TV, on people's mobile footage, and hearing from West Ham fans, it looks absolutely awful like.

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Paqueta was decent, but faded badly second half. Bowen and Rice were far better. 

Love how direct Bowen is on the ball, with the greatest of respect to Big Dan Burn, the guy was getting roasted all game.

Said it last night, Bowen would be a cracking signing 

27 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Never been so probably not fit to comment but it just looks horrific. Looks like a temporary stadium from what I’ve seen on photos and videos. 

I have been to Upton Park 4 times (unbeaten there too!) and it was class. Proper working class, rough area round the ground and their atmosphere was mostly decent from what I remember. Felt like a proper football ground.

Spurs’ ground looks nice don’t get me wrong, but I don’t want us to ever leave SJP. Can’t believe there’s an appetite for it other than a capacity increase. 

Been once and this was my overriding memory of the stadium along with it being in the middle of nowhere.

No rush for ourselves but ultimately we will have to succumb to a new stadium to be able to host big events including football finals. As an older fan I’ve no issue with it as long as the location is by and large remains the same or the current arena site at very most.

Have looked forward to us getting a lead like that with the other team trying to get back in to see what we'd look like.

With, for example, freshly brought on Miggy, Maxi and Murphy running at them.

Turns out, unsurprisingly, we'd be decent.

4 hours ago, Menace said:

We were absolutely unreal and yesterday's performance basically ensured me we're getting top 4. West Ham were horrific, they've spent a pretty penny under Moyes also.

That Paqueta looked wank.

I though the score papered over some cracks, yeah we had some moments where we were magnificent but there was lots of sloppy play too and it was actually a pretty even match until the 4th goal and their heads dropped.

Some of our play reminds me of England a bit, we're great when we're playing high intensity but when we try to slow it down and control a match and patiently build up we seem to lose focus, not quite as bad as England in that but it always makes me nervous when we start slowing down and passing it aimlessly between the back four when we're a goal or two up.

Great result but on the balance of play it could easily have been a draw or loss. Don't get me wrong, I love this team and think we've got a great chance of finishing top 4 now, but I don't think it was an unreal performance and there are things we will need to improve on to make sure we get that top 4 place.

Amazing result and great 90 mins, loads of fun, but I'd be absolutely heartbroken if I was a West Ham fan and been moved from Upton park to that. Fucking horrendous from getting off the tube to getting home. Does not feel like a football ground at all, in the ass end of nowhere, lovely half an hour of kettling on the way back and just a shit end to an amazing evening. To have to do that every game as a West Ham fan, even when doing well, would be utter shit. I blame them a little less for evacuating on 80 mins, although shitloads were still stuck in the kettle by the time we got there after applauding the team off for 10 mins post-match. Wembley is 50% bigger with worse transport links and not even as bad.

1 minute ago, Jackie Broon said:

I though the score papered over some cracks, yeah we had some moments where we were magnificent but there was lots of sloppy play too and it was actually a pretty even match until the 4th goal and their heads dropped.

Some of our play reminds me of England a bit, we're great when we're playing high intensity but when we try to slow it down and control a match and patiently build up we seem to lose focus, not quite as bad as England in that but it always makes me nervous when we start slowing down and passing it aimlessly between the back four when we're a goal or two up.

Great result but on the balance of play it could easily have been a draw or loss. Don't get me wrong, I love this team and think we've got a great chance of finishing top 4 now, but I don't think it was an unreal performance and there are things we will need to improve on to make sure we get that top 4 place.

I blame the scrappy play on West Ham, Moyes has them setup that way in hopes Rice or Bowen can have a moment or two of brilliance to convert on a chance they’ll inevitably create.

They were weakest when they played it on the deck and the only threatening play was from hoof or deadball situations.

Game was over when we got the 3rd, but credit to WH for not quitting until it was done and dusted.

1 minute ago, The Bonk said:

I blame the scrappy play on West Ham, Moyes has them setup that way in hopes Rice or Bowen can have a moment or two of brilliance to convert on a chance they’ll inevitably create.

They were weakest when they played it on the deck and the only threatening play was from hoof or deadball situations.

Game was over when we got the 3rd, but credit to WH for not quitting until it was done and dusted.

Maybe, but they did also cause us lots of problems running with the ball at our defence, particularly Bowen and Antonio.

34 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Not keen on those weird light shows pre match. It’s football not the WWE.

Pure cringe how Man City plan The Alan Parsons Project.  Cunts think they are the Chicago Bulls.