Newcastle United vs. Arsenal: 07/05/23 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

I'm really looking forward to this but I do think it'll be a really tough (and entertaining) game, and I think it's unlikely that there would be a repeat of last season, where we wanted it so much more than they did. The title race isn't actually over. 

Really tough to call, doubt there'll be more than a goal in it either way. Instinct says 2-1 to us because we're lethal at home, but I hope there won't be a meltdown in the not-unlikely event they pinch it.

Gabriel struggling last night could see three of their regular back four on the treatment table. It's no surprise that their defensive solidarity has deserted them of late. An inexperienced Kwior, an average Holding and a defensively suspect Zinchenko should see us create opportunities. They particularly look vulnerable to runners in behind, so Isak may be the preferred option to Wilson here.

They still look great going forward though. Saka, Jesus and Martinelli will be an absolute handful, our full backs could really struggle. The best strategy is probably shutting down the passing lanes from Odegaard. He's the heartbeat of that attack and will hurt us if he's afforded time and space on the ball. I'm sure the aim will be to get bodies around him as quickly as possible.

I'm not nervous for this at all, just really excited. Both teams are in great form going forward, with defensive starting to creep in for both sides. I fancy this to be quite high scoring: 2-2.

Edited by The Prophet

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I just don't want everyone to lose their shit about top 4 if we lose. 

People will lose their shit if we draw man, bed wetter United. 

Only one home defeat for us all season, and that was a really weird game. 

My recent reference point for Arsenal away is the Anfield game where they were gifted a two goal lead by really poor defending. However, they couldn't manage the game and were somewhat lucky to emerge with a point. They've gone on to lose leads in other games, and with it their title challenge, even before they played Man City. This suggests they have the same inner weakness we saw at SJP last season. Pep mixed it up against them with some long ball stuff up to Haaland with KDB running off, almost PFM big man little man, just with world class players. Arsenal couldn't handle either.

Their forwards are great, especially out wide, so they'll get in a couple of times. Our lads in the middle will have to be on their toes. I expect us to win the midfield battle, even with Bruno on one leg. Form says it has to be Isak wide and Wilson up the middle, but I suspect we'll set up with more defensive wide players tracking back to lower the threat of Martinelli and Saka. I think we'll start with Wilson and see Isak later.

3 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Only one home defeat for us all season, and that was a really weird game. 

My recent reference point for Arsenal away is the Anfield game where they were gifted a two goal lead by really poor defending. However, they couldn't manage the game and were somewhat lucky to emerge with a point. They've gone on to lose leads in other games, and with it their title challenge, even before they played Man City. This suggests they have the same inner weakness we saw at SJP last season. Pep mixed it up against them with some long ball stuff up to Haaland with KDB running off, almost PFM big man little man, just with world class players. Arsenal couldn't handle either.

Their forwards are great, especially out wide, so they'll get in a couple of times. Our lads in the middle will have to be on their toes. I expect us to win the midfield battle, even with Bruno on one leg. Form says it has to be Isak wide and Wilson up the middle, but I suspect we'll set up with more defensive wide players tracking back to lower the threat of Martinelli and Saka. I think we'll start with Wilson and see Isak later.

Aye, 4-4-1-1 with KdB given the freedom in behind Haaland. I guess the only way we could use that as a blue print would be Isak in behind Wilson. 

34 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Gabriel struggling last night could see three of their regular back four on the treatment table. It's no surprise that their defensive solidarity has deserted them of late. An inexperienced Kwior, an average Holding and a defensively suspect Zinchenko should see us create opportunities. They particularly look vulnerable to runners in behind, so Isak may be the preferred option to Wilson here.

They still look great going forward though. Saka, Jesus and Martinelli will be an absolute handful, our full backs could really struggle. The best strategy is probably shutting down the passing lanes from Odegaard. He's the heartbeat of that attack and will hurt us if he's avoided time and space on the ball. I'm sure the aim will be to get bodies around him as quickly as possible.

I'm not nervous for this at all, just really excited. Both teams are in great form going forward, with defensive starting to creep in for both sides. I fancy this to be quite high scoring: 2-2.

Think Longstaff being fit could be key for congesting the midfield and preventing Odegaard from influencing things. Having Willock/Joe doubling up with Burn on the left could hopefully prevent Saka from doing what he did first 20 against Burn at the Emirates too. Really intriguing game.

Kavanagh named for Sundays match against Arsenal.

For the match, Chris Kavanagh has been appointed as referee,

with assistants Richard West and Nick Greenhalgh,

fourth official Anthony Taylor, VAR Andy Madley, and assistant VAR Scott Ledger.

Edited by prefabtoon

Just now, prefabtoon said:

fourth official Anthony Taylor, VAR Andy Madley, and assistant VAR Scott Ledger.

:anguish:

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Wilson was so good in this game last season, was his first game back after his long term injury as well IIRC. 

I’d start him and leave Isak on the bench to either replace him or come on out wide if we need a bigger attacking threat. Can’t see see us playing anything other than the Willock and Joelinton left side combo if Longstaff is fit 

We will beat these. They're a fantastic team but I think it'll suit us down to the ground that they have no choice but to win.

They'll definitely score but we will too. They'll be fired up from the battering last season but they still look vulnerable. If West Ham & Southampton can get a result against them, we definitely can.

However I'd take a draw - looking at the next 4 games in 2 pairs - 4 points from each and we're there.

47 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

People will lose their shit if we draw man, bed wetter United. 

People will lose their shit if we win, and Liverpool win.

Case point, Sunday, and the Wednesday/Thursday before that.

6 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Case point, Sunday, and the Wednesday/Thursday before that.

Mind you, contradicting my last post a bit I will be nervous if the scousers are only 3 points behind us come kick off. Ideally they’ll drop points before it but I can’t see it. 

8 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I've been losing my shit about Liverpool the entire way, however if we win, I think the chances of us losing 3 out of our last 4 are incredibly slim. 

My cigar will be out of the packet, but the lighter will stay in the draw until we beat Leeds or Brighton.

1 hour ago, prefabtoon said:

Kavanagh named for Sundays match against Arsenal.

Fuck me, Madley on VAR