Newcastle United 0-2 Arsenal (07/05/2023)

Disco

Just now, Ronaldo said:

So we’re not allowed to say what could be better, just because we’ve had a great season? :lol: Soz I’ve upset you again.

Never stop Wumaldo. Never stop [emoji38]

Just now, Displayname said:

Only difference today is a longshot that goes between a defenders legs and an own goal.

Nothing wrong with the formation or missing any players.

Two hits in the post and multiple good saves by Ramsdale.

That’s as I saw it. We weren’t bad. Fine margins. Another day that Murphy shot goes in and we batter them

out of the park in the first 10mins! :indi:

We played alright, generally. Isak looks special every time he's on the ball and Willock had some big moments.

Still don't think we'll get the 7 points (according to the internet we've already bagged wins over Leeds and Leicester, because that's famously how football works) but hopefully Liverpool have that one slip-up.

1 minute ago, The Bonk said:

Laminated! :lol:

He's asked me if I can make some honorary Geordie certificates for his Scottish mates who sit a bit along "I can get them laminated at the same place that do my anti king ones" 

Two evenly-ish matched teams. Could have lost by more, could have edged three points.

Bit of inexperience, bit of an underpar performance. But we also  got lucky Saka didn't show up, and Arsenal weren't clinical in front of goal.

Didn't really like Wilson and Isak together from the off. Wasted our best player on an island.

Some ponderous performances from Joelinton, Willock and Murphy at times. Trippier too. Can only surmise some of the lackadaisical play was a function of fatigue after starting off with that intensity.

Goals change games.

The first made it an uphill battle with how open we were defensively.

The second one took the remaining wind out of our sails, although fair play to the team for keep plugging away.

Maybe a useful result in the grand scheme of things to ensure we don't go into the off-season thinking we're title challengers next year without further investment.

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

FWIW I can’t ever remember VAR being used to rule out a pen like that. Guy leans into the ball with his arm out, not a pen because it happens to skim his thigh first? Mega odd. 

Can't remember that a penalty has been awarded this season due to handball where there was no contact with hand or arm at all either.

14 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Christ, we edged everything except the scoreline. It didn't feel that way tbh.

Nah,early days fair enough but by the hour mark things had receded significantly 

One thing that pissed me was how far away our midfield players from theirs when not in possession. They were finding an awful of space and time when passing it around. Very uncaharacteristic of their workrate or attention to.the opposition's wherabouts today.

15 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Sums up the quality of the opponent tbh. 

We played well, like. The big chances we created weren't flukes or out of keeping with the game; it was even but they (deservedly) pinched it.

I'm not sure tbh. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but outscoring your xG and under conceding your xGA is usually unsustainable in the long run and they've done it all season. Brentford are similar albeit at a lower level. Man City on the other hand nigh on always have a high xG that's higher than their xGA.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Gutted by the score line but I’m not sure how much there is to grumble about. We were always dependent on Arsenal having a bit of an off day and I thought they were absolutely outstanding all over the pitch.

Just now, dave s said:

we tried. shame our chances hit the posts. if you’d said at start of season, 4 games to go and only liverpool and arsenal beat us at home i’d have taken it 😀

We all would :indi:another step in this adventurous journey we are on! 

Whatever competition we end up in next season we're going to have more matches like that. Big game and a atmosphere and we need to experience it more often if we're going to get better at dealing with them. We're not always going to come out on top against these top players and teams but it's how you learn. We've got to see this as a lesson, not a loss. We lost the game but learned from what Arsenal did to squeak it. We'll get better and better and better in the next 5 or 6 years 

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'm not sure tbh. Don't get me wrong, they're good, but outscoring your XP and under conceding your xGA is usually unsustainable in the long run and they've done it all season. Brentford are similar albeit at a lower level. Man City on the other hand nigh on always have a high xG that's higher than their xGA.

Not to sound like a boomer, cos I do value stats, but based on the eye test they were probably the best team I think we've faced this season at SJP. Man City were obviously lethal but they let us get a head of steam for at least half an hour of the game. Arsenal (assisted of course by several minutes of VAR chicanery which subdued the atmosphere and killed Newcastle's momentum), never let us get a foothold in the game at any point. We had to play out of our skins to force the chances we did. They were solid, wily, nullified our typical threats, and were quality when it mattered.

10 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Tend to agree that playing Wilson and Isak together was a bad call like.

Also thought Miggy on for Murphy was a waste of a sub.

I've also called for this in the past (before the recent good spell with them), and don't think Howe could win on this one today.

Had he started with either, and the other on the bench and it had gone the same way, then he'd have been called out for not starting them together, especially after their recent scoring appearances with one or the pother coming off the bench to play together.

It was just one of those days, I think.

12 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

He's asked me if I can make some honorary Geordie certificates for his Scottish mates who sit a bit along "I can get them laminated at the same place that do my anti king ones" 

[emoji38] He’s class! 

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Not to sound like a boomer, cos I do value stats, but based on the eye test they were probably the best team I think we've faced this season at SJP. Man City were obviously lethal but they let us get a head of steam for at least half an hour of the game. Arsenal (assisted of course by several minutes of VAR chicanery which subdued the atmosphere and killed Newcastle's momentum), never let us get a foothold in the game at any point. We had to play out of our skins to force the chances we did. They were solid, wily, nullified our typical threats, and were quality when it mattered.

I just really don't agree :lol: I thought they were good but I thought we were shit aside from the first 15 minutes and nowhere remotely near playing out of our skins. Man City were a cut above them when they came here imo, but in that match we did play out of our skins and got a result.