Leeds United 2-2 Newcastle United (13/05/2023)

Disco

I wasn't sure if Bruno was over hitting his passes to try and mitigate this or if his range was just off.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was a tactic by Leeds and tbf, I don't blame them in their position.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If it really was deliberate then I'm not sure we've a right to sneer given its effect on our performance. :lol: 

I get it, but it's just so pathetic man. It's not exactly in the spirit of the game is it :lol:

Especially because he has been doing this sort of thing since the Bolton days, so it's not as though he is just doing it because of the situation Leeds are in.

19 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

That pitch was pathetic, BTW, the footballing equivalent of a cry for help.

Its the money cow league in the world. At least the pitch in this division should be perfect on every stadium. Think the Brentford pitch wasnt that all also.

From memory Fat Sam made our pitch smaller when he took over. It’s a fair thing for a home team to do if a bit wank but you need to adapt and deal with it unfortunately. 

Who knows, Rotherham might do it to them in their big local derby next season?

12 hours ago, Erikse said:

Has anyone else noticed how bad we are at corners lately? I took matters into my own hands to investigate. Last 19 games (since quartefinal vs Leicester at 10th of jan):

Corners for: 127

Goals: 1 (Southamptons own goal at 30th of april making it 2-1 for us)

(There is an argument for the 1-0 goal vs West Ham at 5th of april, as the final cross came after a corner. It was still well after.)

Corners against: 57

Goals against: 5

West Ham, feb 4th (1-1 goal)

Bounemouth, feb 10th (0-1 goal)

West Ham, april 5th (1-1 goal)

Everton, april 27th (3-1 goal)

Leeds, may 13th (2-2 goal) (indirect)

This results in a 0,79% succsessrate for us (1 in 127), while conceding in 8,77% of the corners against us (5 in 57). This means that in our last 19 games the corners against have been 11 times more lethal than our own corners..

Just seen this post on twitter...

https://twitter.com/Neilfarrington/status/1657642336480837632/photo/1

13 hours ago, Erikse said:

Has anyone else noticed how bad we are at corners lately? I took matters into my own hands to investigate. Last 19 games (since quartefinal vs Leicester at 10th of jan):

Corners for: 127

Goals: 1 (Southamptons own goal at 30th of april making it 2-1 for us)

(There is an argument for the 1-0 goal vs West Ham at 5th of april, as the final cross came after a corner. It was still well after.)

Corners against: 57

Goals against: 5

West Ham, feb 4th (1-1 goal)

Bounemouth, feb 10th (0-1 goal)

West Ham, april 5th (1-1 goal)

Everton, april 27th (3-1 goal)

Leeds, may 13th (2-2 goal) (indirect)

This results in a 0,79% succsessrate for us (1 in 127), while conceding in 8,77% of the corners against us (5 in 57). This means that in our last 19 games the corners against have been 11 times more lethal than our own corners..

It’s been mentioned for a while in the context of Trippier’s delivery but I think our entire approach is wrong. We’re far too static. We just bung all our big lads near the edge of the six yard box, so even if we do get a head on a ball it’s really hard to generate any power. 

19 minutes ago, christ said:

It’s been mentioned for a while in the context of Trippier’s delivery but I think our entire approach is wrong. We’re far too static. We just bung all our big lads near the edge of the six yard box, so even if we do get a head on a ball it’s really hard to generate any power. 

I had assumed since other than Lascelles, we don't really have big lads who can attack the ball in the air with conviction, we might start playing short corners and try to work some stuff on the deck more. But we haven't really gone that way apart from the odd time.

Another reason we should be playing Targett more over Burn. Atleast allows us to mix up the set pieces with a left footer. 

Feel like I feel the same every game but Burn is contributing little defensively currently and really hampering us going forward. Lost count of the amount of times he needed to get the ball out wide quickly to Isak/Willock/ASM and took way too long. 

Just wish Targett was in the rotation more for certain games. 

hate 12.30 kick offs away from home.

we overtook the teambus in a traffic jam in leeds and i'm sure it was just an hour and a half or so before kick off.

its a ridiculous time for a game, man.

feel a little calmer today but Pope, Isak, Wilson aside they were all poor.

Botman and BDB made so many unforced errors.

Tripps - hard to criticise him in open play after such a good season - but his freekicks have gone to shit. he's an experienced player so its inexcusable. when he first joined, getting a freekick on the edge on the ooposition box was akin to a pel almost.

Just now, samptime29 said:

Our away form has been really good this season. 8 wins 7 draws 3 losses. Scored 31 goals, 3rd best in league. 

It has been brilliant but I can barely remember the last time we started fast in an away game, probably Leicester on Boxing Day. Seems like we've been on the back foot at the start of every one since.

24 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Had to stop off here after 20 mins of the game. Utterly pathetic the criticism. Even if we end up not in the CL its been an incredible season 

I’d very much advise you not to go in the Anthony Gordon thread right now. Apparently he’s worse than Callum McManaman. 

3 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

It has been brilliant but I can barely remember the last time we started fast in an away game, probably Leicester on Boxing Day. Seems like we've been on the back foot at the start of every one since.

Think we scored early at West Ham. But they were better up until that point. Early ish goal at Everton but similar play. 

7 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Fair point.

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

It’s pathetic. I wanted to say more but can’t. It’s pathetic.

I was too young to be there but it’s always baffled me that people booed after we finished 5th in 2004. Makes me understand why the way people go on now whenever we have an off day. Entitled as fuck.