Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

It's a pity we couldn't work something out with him because I think we'll miss him like we did Guthrie this season.  He's not the best but he's capable of doing a job when required.

It's a pity we couldn't work something out with him because I think we'll miss him like we did Guthrie this season.  He's not the best but he's capable of doing a job when required.

:thup:

Wish he was staying as a squad player but wouldn't have him in my XI and it's understandable that he isn't signing a new deal.

Pardew's seriously going to struggle to put together and coach a new solid back four without Chris Hughton doing it for him.

Yeah I'd keep him as squad player, I guess it comes down to whether we think we can use one of youth players to fill that backup spot for right back. Surely it's now or never for Tavernier.

Pretty much my feelings on the matter.

Guthrie was fine when things were going well, but when things were tough he seemed to lose his head or hide (Fagan, WBA away spring to mind). He was struggling at Reading this season by all accounts so fuck knows what he'd have been like here this season.

Yeah I'd keep him as squad player, I guess it comes down to whether we think we can use one of youth players to fill that backup spot for right back. Surely it's now or never for Tavernier.

This, although he is supposed to be a CB primarily. Coaches need to work out what is best for him and he needs to do the same. He will never break in at CB but has a chance if he concentrates on RB.

Guest Howaythetoon

This!

Guthrie was fine when things were going well, but when things were tough he seemed to lose his head or hide (Fagan, WBA away spring to mind). He was struggling at Reading this season by all accounts so fuck knows what he'd have been like here this season.

Guthrie was fantastic for us last year and also in the Championship season, not just decent or good but fantastic. Fuck knows what's happened at Reading but he could have done a job for us this year.

Guthrie was fine when things were going well, but when things were tough he seemed to lose his head or hide (Fagan, WBA away spring to mind). He was struggling at Reading this season by all accounts so f*** knows what he'd have been like here this season.

Was WBA the one where he pulled out of the tackle on halfway and it led to a goal that turned the game? O0 for the general sentiment.

Simpson's not that bad but most of our memories of him are with a stellar Colo in the team. No Colo and Eliot in goal is a whole different situation.

The decision to keep or replace Simpson strikes me as a bit of a sideshow so long as Colo is off and Eliot is our backup keeper.

Simmo is very limited but during promotion season and when we finished 5th I think he served us well. In an ideal world we would keep him as a back up, but even if he had a few years left on his contract not sure we'd get the same type of commitment from him.

Not sure Tavernier is the answer as back up. Pity Taylor is crocked again, miss his versatility.

Still remember the day when I walked next to him like his mate/bodyguard after our pre-season game in Landsberg (against Monaco) protecting him from all those little children that wanted a picture despite not even knowing his name. :lol:

Though, still angry about the fact that he didn't give me his shirt after that then...

Still think he'd develop a bit further up the food chain with good coaching. Has a bit of pace and a bit of bite...The rest can be developed..pitch sense and positioning and so on...

Still remember the day when I walked next to him like his mate/bodyguard after our pre-season game in Landsberg (against Monaco) protecting him from all those little children that wanted a picture despite not even knowing his name. :lol:

Though, still angry about the fact that he didn't give me his shirt after that then...

Yeah, saw you on TV.

With Simpson leaving and Ryan Taylor out for next season we're a bit light for right back cover again.

We could do with a 4th full back unless someone like Tavernier steps up.

I think we would manage though as long as all 3 weren't out for prolonged periods. Players like Perch, Anita, Tavernier, MYM (depending on CB signings), Dummett, maybe even Ferguson would get us through.