Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

The thinking of "play Ben Arfa and we'll get more points" is quite dangerous. To me is the other way round - Even if we play Ben Arfa, I don't think we could get so many points at this stage.  That's a paradox and I would give Pardew the benefit of the doubt because of that.

What is the basis of your assumption? How many goals + assists + good chances created vs lost possession in dangerous areas + non tracking back would you put at for HBA?

The thinking of "play Ben Arfa and we'll get more points" is quite dangerous. To me is the other way round - Even if we play Ben Arfa, I don't think we could get so many points at this stage.  That's a paradox and I would give Pardew the benefit of the doubt because of that.

What is the basis of your assumption? How many goals + assists + good chances created vs lost possession in dangerous areas + non tracking back would you put at for HBA?

That's why I said "technically" you cannot justified the decision of playing Obertan over HBA (Raylor is arguable). The only valid reason is to look at the situation from another perspective - the team as a whole, and the result. Even the result is controversial because HBA hardly plays much and not enough samples to compare.  But my point is, Pardew does the job without HBA, brilliantly. Could he do it better with HBA? I aren't sure. I can't assume that. To be honest, what I expect is a Top8 finish, and any Euro spot is a big plus this year. And now Parder does it without "the best eleven we believed".  I think the correct response is I should question myself whether the best team is "the best eleven we believed", since it's Pardew who observed the players most, who makes the decision, and who get the result.

Aye, finish 4th and he'll still have my backing even if I don't like the HBA situation.

It'll plant a massive seed of doubt about him in the long term though, which is my point.

Agree with that.

Hba has got the same amouont of assists as Guti and the later has played about 100 games.

Guest hatem garrincha

Heard a few whispers that he is not the best influence in the dressing room.

One from a good source, but take with salt as required.

Well, that's not what transpires here for example https://twitter.com/#!/dembabafoot/status/173183389053095936

I've also heard players like Best, Williamson or Raylor talking about his good behaviour.

Hatem's past in term of comportment hasn't been always exemplary, but until now at Newcastle, he's been Ok.

Hba has got the same amouont of assists as Guti and the later has played about 100 games.

Whats our priority though? Scoring more goals for a team that averages 2 a game anyway? Or supporting a defence thats missing one of its key Cb's & has conceded 5 goals twice in the last 4 games.

Be happy to see Hatem play, but i think the whole situation is understandable & not as simple nor disasterous as some claim it to be.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

To see some Hatem today, Newcastle has to struggle  :razz: :-X

Aye, he won't be trusted to ever come on if the opposition are chasing an equaliser or 'in with a shout' etc.

Aye, he won't be trusted to ever come on if the opposition are chasing an equaliser or 'in with a shout' etc.

Just to play Devil's advocate, he did against Everton didn't he?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Just to play Devil's advocate, he did against Everton didn't he?

Aye. Just can't see it happening now like, Pardew's been a lot more cautious since then.

I hope he starts today, even though I have my doubts that Pardew will play him, he's the best we have on the right.  I can't understand why anybody would think that we'll be a better team with either Taylor or Obertan playing because we'll not be.

Ben Arfa offers something different to what our other players have to offer and he would be a massive asset if played regularly and fully fit.  Our two other options make us poorer even if we’ve had good results with both.

I can't remember too many occasions when a team has been better when they don't field the best players available.  It sometimes happens when certain players are too similar and can’t gel, England being a good case when Lampard and Gerard have played but the two situations are not the same. 

Another type of game which would justify playing lesser players are games when the opposition aren’t seen as being as good and players think they can just turn out and win.  Normally, teams do better when they field their better players regularly and that’s what we should be doing today, not pissing about with Obertan and Taylor.

Looking forward to Pardew's sly little comment in his post match press conference if he does start Raylor and we win.

On the whole I think Pardew has done brilliantly but I really hate the direction this Ben Arfa business seems to be heading. If HBA goes in the summer without getting a fair shot here it'll be a disgrace, and Pardew will be solely responsible.

That's it in a nutshell for me. I can't argue with Pardew's decisions of which players to pick for every individual game if he's getting the results, but by the end of the season if he's created a situation where we are losing quality players to keep mediocre players in the side then I can't see us going forward next season. We still have 13 games to go this season, there's plenty of opportunity to form a way of playing which gets our better players into the side rather than shoe square pegs into round holes.

With Tiote and Cabaye back, Ben Arfa has to start on the right. Tiote and Cabaye's presence will offer more protection, as they will both be able to cover for him better defensively, and also in instances where he loses the ball. Will be very dissapointed if anyone starts there today.

Will be stunned if he doesn't put in a transfer request at the start of the season. Behind about four players in the pecking order here. I don't agree with it but if the manager doesn't fancy him then what else can we do?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Aye, he's gone. Won't make many more appearances from now until the end of the season and Pardew doesn't really have a position for him.