Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa - 23/02/14 - post-match reaction from Page 35

BlueStar

Pardew defenders never want to discuss his tactics.

Anyone else noticed that?

Doubt they are actually aware that its so f*cking shit tbf.

I don't see the point debating it anymore though, most know what the issues are and the potential for improvement is grim to none under this regime.

How much of a crack-papering exercise the Remy goal was is a matter of personal opinion, but while rightly welcomed it was an isolated moment of competence.

A 50,000+ crowd looks great on paper, but the thin fare they were offered up for 90 minutes reinforced the idea that many present were there in body only, attending out of a sense of duty. SJP has seldom been as silent.

On a day when the manner of performance was as vital as the victory, United may have collected the points, but failed to convince many that better times lie ahead here.

The win took us on to 40 points and back to eighth - cause merely for relief, not satisfaction or pleasure.

:sadnod:

Regardless of the goal, what a f***ing depressing time it is when people would rather be elsewhere.  Today, I turned up 5 mins late, went for a half time drink (2) at 38 and went back on 55 mins. I really could not be f***ed watching that today but went out of a sense of loyalty. Celebrated the winner like we'd won a cup as per but afterwards I still felt gutted, knowing we had basically a. we sneaked a win b. it means nothing in the long run in terms of where the clubs heading and c. the lad who scored it is (imo) just waiting to get out along with a few others.

Benteke was absolutely w*** today. Usually scores against us too

Tbf he's usually wank against us in general anyway.... the two goals he's scored against us were a penalty and poor defending from a corner.

In both games outside of those instances he was very well marshaled and looked poor.

Can't believe how bad Villa were for 70 minutes of the 90. Just utter shit with no threat whatsoever.

Probably would have scored if they'd come out and gone for it after HT.

Weird to see a team with even less creativity and threat out wide than us though.

Weird game. We started well for a change but that soon drifted away as Villa made use of the extra man in the middle, which caused Pardew to change to Cisse on the right fun times. A lot of the forward thinking players played ok in fits and starts but nobody was on it all game. There was a 20 minute spell where it seemed inevitable Villa would score but the final ball was just lacking or Krul made a decent save, then they just declared second half for some reason and seemed happy to get 0 but without ever seriously trying to see it out. But enough about them, we have enough of our own issues without worrying about them.

Krul - Some decent saves first half, not totally horrific distribution for once.

Debuchy - Terrible crosses but got forward well, always an outlet.

Dummett - Had a nightmare 20 minutes where he turned into Shola but I thought he did ok in the end, would like to see him and Haidara plenty towards the end of the season, I'm not sure what's going on with Santon but having a left footed full back was nice. His set pieces weren't gash either, surprisingly.

Willo - Really good, made one great interception during the second half. Him and Colo are our best partnership, undoubtedly.

Colo - MOTM. Imperious, reads the play so well. Welcome back, please never leave

Tiote - Not his best game but we have nobody else who can play his role effectively, as evidenced by his absence. So for that reason I'm glad he was back.

Anita - In and out all day but the last 10 minutes he was a driving force, I've never seen him play that sort of role. A big reason we won today

Gouffran - Not his best day it's fair to say but some good graft at times

Sissoko - What to do with this guy. Plays without a brain but his ball carrying ability is useful. Just makes some really odd decisions, but I don't think anybody is sure where to play him.

Remy - So much better than all of our other strikers, but in the 1 striker system I prefer him on the left depending on who's in the middle.

Cisse - Horrific miss. His control is superb at times but he's shot. Got through some work on the right wing but why not just play a winger there?

Thought it was odd that he pushed Cisse out to the right and left Remy through the middle, but then once De Jong came on he moved Remy wide. But that's just Pardew, we must change formation about 4 times a game, one sub causes the whole team to be re-positioned. Atmosphere in the last 15 minutes was fantastic, relieved to get the points. It could be a fun end to the season if we try some different things out and play with no fear but the manager will be shutting up shop for that precious 8th place. Went to the game probably the lowest I've been about NUFC, thinking what was the point etc. but came away determined to just enjoy the rest of the season, forget everything going on behind the scenes and just wait and see. It's nice being fairly relaxed at a game so I'm going to enjoy it whilst it lasts as unless the right decisions are made in the summer we might be in a spot of bother next season.

As some others have said, I too found myself not celebrating a last minute winner today. The very first time that has ever happened.

And it's been a lot of years.

It's a very strange, numb-like feeling, that one feels these days.

As some others have said, I too found myself not celebrating a last minute winner today. The very first time that has ever happened.

And it's been a lot of years.

It's a very strange, numb-like feeling, that one feels these days.

I celebrated just like usual for a last minute winner, but like shagging a girl you know your going to break up with, I was going through the motions, without any of the conviction behind it.

Two poor sides - they should have scored in the period they were on top after the first 15 mins.

We just about deserved the points on second half effort but it wouldn't have been an injustice if we had dropped 2 points.

Remy missed a sitter laid on by de Jong after he dispossessed Vlaar but was always our most dangerous player. We would be fighting relegation if Remy had not been taken on loan and we will struggle badly next season when he has gone. Likewise with Colo who always looks a class defender and who also will almost certainly be gone in summer.

50,000 there - no wonder Ashley rubs his hands and laughs at them...Stockholm syndrome writ large. This summer will be VERY interesting...!

I celebrated like a madman when that goal went in, knocked my drink flying all over the place and everything :lol:

Of course it doesn't change anything or right any of the wrongs at the club but if you can't celebrate a good thing after all the shit results and everything else we've had then what's the point? I think some people just revel in the misery and negativity.