Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

Absolute liability who brings nothing whatsoever to the team. Has a PR team who post nice things on Twitter though so has a fan club who will defend him to the end.

People rated him because he was a young player that showed a lot of potential in an awful side, not because of his tweets. He was a positive player who'd run at and beat men and displayed some great technique with some of his finishing. He's regressed massively and I don't see anyone defending him really but let's not pretend he was always shit and it's fair enough if people wanted to give him a chance under Rafa.

He's a weird player, actually looked decent in the Premier League for us but looks utter dog s*** in the Championship due to how lightweight he is.

He was pretty s*** last season in the PL as well

Aye. Truthfully he was only ever good under Pardew and to a lesser extent Carver. Since then he's gone off the boil. Not crediting them but it looks now more like a purple patch. He's more Cisse than Ba by the looks of things.

Absolute liability who brings nothing whatsoever to the team. Has a PR team who post nice things on Twitter though so has a fan club who will defend him to the end.

People rated him because he was a young player that showed a lot of potential in an awful side, not because of his tweets. He was a positive player who'd run at and beat men and displayed some great technique with some of his finishing. He's regressed massively and I don't see anyone defending him really but let's not pretend he was always s*** and it's fair enough if people wanted to give him a chance under Rafa.

He's been awful since Pardew left which is incredible really considering the manager in question. People on here may not defend him but social media still has a lot of people defending him no matter how little he offers.

Perez is having a poor season, and I agree with those who suggest he looked best for us a few seasons ago playing up top. It's such a strange one because when he arrived, it was remarkable how someone so slight and without exceptional pace was able to go up against opposition defenders and consistently come away with the ball - he was determined, but he also showed good feet, and while he's always played too much with his head down he still seemed to have a decent awareness for his teammates.

So I'm not sure it's so much a physical thing as a lack of interest and a lack of confidence stemming from a long run of poor form. His performances so far this season don't warrant a place in our first eleven when everyone is available, but our style of play also isn't conducive to bringing out his best, because with Shelvey we rely on long passes out to the wings or over the top, and without Shelvey we have no midfield, so either way the number 10 is bypassed. And at least for the next few games with Shelvey out and Diame away, Anita and Hayden with Perez in front seems like the obvious choice.

i can forgive most players if they look like they are trying and have a modicum of ability, but ive watched Perez of late and he looks to be barely trying.

we can't afford passengers, ive seen loads in the last few years, he's now becoming one of them  :sad:

People rated him because he was a young player that showed a lot of potential in an awful side, not because of his tweets. He was a positive player who'd run at and beat men and displayed some great technique with some of his finishing. He's regressed massively and I don't see anyone defending him really but let's not pretend he was always shit and it's fair enough if people wanted to give him a chance under Rafa.

Spot on. All I can propose is that he doesn't really want to be here any more.

Yep. :thup:

I still think it's likely that the mental and physical stress of him being heavily relied on for the past few years is probably the main reason he's regressed as much. He's played in practically every game for the past three years in a struggling team and he's still only 23.

There's no question about his ability imo, but I don't know what the answer is to get him performing again.

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased for Perez. Some of the criticism has been unjust over the past few weeks. He's been shit but has shown enough quality in the past to have more faith than some have shown him on here.

Hopefully he can get a good run going now because we're going to need someone to step up.