Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we win our next 2 games at home you'd like to think even with 3 defeats in those games we'd still be in the top 2. All 3 of those teams aren't going to win every game for the rest of the season. Huddersfield have won 6 in a row, it's unlikely they'll make it 11 wins. If they beat Reading next week I'd be confident in us being in the top 2 still after the 3 away games regardless of how we fair but it all depends on winning our next 2 games.

Scary to think a 2-3 game bad run could see us drop to third.

Brighton, Huddersfield, Reading away off the spin. Makes the games before that bit more edgy. Then again I'm happier away from home at the minute.

Think we'll beat Brighton and Reading just got a feeling it will be Hudds we will struggle against.

Definitely on playing them away though, much better for us and much more confident than I would be at SJP.

Forest finished that season on 79 points, though you wouldn't have expected it based on the record in Dave's table. 79 was still enough for third.

Reading won 3-2 having scored three times from three shots on target yesterday. Huddersfield also notched up yet another single goal victory. They both seem to have an unusual talent for getting three points without dominating their games.

All we have to do is draw with Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading so they cant gain any points on us.  A win in any of them will be a bonus.  I'm sure that will be Rafas mindset so be ready for some gritty defensive displays, certainly in those games.

Yeah, our games against one another are becoming crucial moments.

MWgUAqn.png

Five points clear of third back then too. But the chasing pack were nowhere.

I remember Forest going on an amazing run of form to get to third spot as well.  They had hit form just at the right time but it still wasn't enough.

The league table does give a bit of a spook knowing we've Huddersfield and Reading hot on our tails but I recon we'll still do it. 7 wins and 3 draws, or just simply 8 wins from 15 games and 89 points alog with our superior goal difference will see us over the line I have no doubt. That's the minimum of course. Really we should be winning 10 from 15 or better.

8 wins gives us 90 points.

has anyone ever not gone up with 90 points?

The league table does give a bit of a spook knowing we've Huddersfield and Reading hot on our tails but I recon we'll still do it. 7 wins and 3 draws, or just simply 8 wins from 15 games and 89 points alog with our superior goal difference will see us over the line I have no doubt. That's the minimum of course. Really we should be winning 10 from 15 or better.

8 wins gives us 90 points.

has anyone ever not gone up with 90 points?

Just Sunderland in '98. There's even been some years where the champions don't reach 90.

A 2pts per game average will get us promoted (92 from 46) so we only need 6 points from Villa/Bristol City/Brighton/Huddersfield/Reading to maintain that.

What is the biggest lead we've had over the third placed team over the course of this season? Think it was around 9-12 points. Now its down to 6. Hopefully we'll pull away from Huddersfield while they're occupied with the FA Cup. Would rather have healthy gaps between us and whoever is in third than having games in hand.

Could do with Reading beating huddersfield like. The longer their ridiculous run goes on the more concerned I get about them.

Still, just need to finish above them OR Brighton to go up.

The run Huddersfield are on is similar to the run Brighton were on recently whereby they are scoring a few late goals to snatch wins. Runs like that can't go on forever, it just isn't sustainable, so I expect them to have a bit of a dip soon like Brighton are having.

MWgUAqn.png

Five points clear of third back then too. But the chasing pack were nowhere.

:thup:

So 3 more points than the same stage and better goal difference and goals scored. Not as bad as I thought.

We only dropped about 6 points from this point onwards that season mind.

dont think its comparable to that season as there was no chasing pack then.

Forest were decent enough that season and still hunting us down at this point. It was in the coming weeks that we open a serious gap on them and that's what we have to do again now this season. Starting with Villa, Bristol and then the 3 away games it's time to have the chasing pack eat our dust.