Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will be fucking lovely to get Gayle back which means that the opposition's defensive line can't push up as much and our other players will get more space. Lovely to have a player that stretches the back four.

If anything, those numbers mask the growing concerns many have from watching our recent games.

Yeah of course, but despite everyone's worries (mine included) and our rough spell, we still have the best form in the league. Get Gayle back, and hopefully we'll pick up where we left off in November.

Before this shit spell (started with Blackburn at home then the Forest refereeing masterpiece) weren't we on for a club record winning streak.

Guest palnese

How on earth are we top man? We've been shite for weeks.

We have the best squad in the league. We may not play the best football, but we have more matchwinners in both ends of the pitch than anyone else.

If anything, those numbers mask the growing concerns many have from watching our recent games.

Yeah of course, but despite everyone's worries (mine included) and our rough spell, we still have the best form in the league. Get Gayle back, and hopefully we'll pick up where we left off in November.

Before this shit spell (started with Blackburn at home then the Forest refereeing masterpiece) weren't we on for a club record winning streak.

We've missed the AFCON players too. Diame and Atsu will give us options we badly missed in the last month.

So,

Top of the table by 1pt

6pts clear of 3rd with a game in hand

Most goals scored by 11 (57 scored)

Best goal difference by 11

Most wins by 2

Only derby have conceded fewer goals (22 to our 23)

Top of the form table for last 6 games (13pts)

Only Huddersfield picked up more points in last 10 games

And this is after/during our bad patch.

17 games to go...

with our goal difference, you can add a point, effectively leaving us 2 points clear at the top and 7 clear of 3rd with a game in hand.

Never been that concerned with Reading or Leeds, it's all about Huddersfield imo. I think we'll do well to get a point there.

The sheer strength of our top individuals has got us where we are, on paper we should be straight back up.

Have to say, I was surprised when looked at our recent results. All the pessimism about, including from myself, thought we'd been on a shocking run. With the FA Cup loss, expectation of winning at home and the recent density of games, I'd missed that we'd gotten 10 out 12 points in last 4 matches.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

There's a bit more to it than that like.  Remember when we (well, not you) were having some concerns under Pardew as, although we were riding high in the league, the football wasn't great and we were kind of flukily edging games?  Nowhere near as bad as that obviously but recent performances haven't been as good as earlier in the season, if Derby had scored that easy chance from three yards out the other night we'd be looking at 4 points thrown away at home.

The defeat at Oxford obviously compounds this along with our lack of January activity so it's not hard to see why some people are getting a little worried when you look further than just the bare statistics.

Personally I think we'll be fine but I can see how people might look at this as a bit of a bad spell despite the decent points haul.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

There's a bit more to it than that like.  Remember when we (well, not you) were having some concerns under Pardew as, although we were riding high in the league, the football wasn't great and we were kind of flukily edging games?  Nowhere near as bad as that obviously but recent performances haven't been as good as earlier in the season, if Derby had scored that easy chance from three yards out the other night we'd be looking at 4 points thrown away at home.

The defeat at Oxford obviously compounds this along with our lack of January activity so it's not hard to see why some people are getting a little worried when you look further than just the bare statistics.

Personally I think we'll be fine but I can see how people might look at this as a bit of a bad spell despite the decent points haul.

:lol:

Need to 'protect' our key players against the likes of Reading, Brighton, Huddersfield and Leeds. Not saying we shouldn't play our key players but our players should be aware 1 cynical challenge might criple them and the team for a period of time. Everyone wants to beat us, everyone wants to chase us. We just need to be aware and clever protecting our lead and our team.

I wouldn't be surprised if those who are overplaying any dip in form are the same people who were talking about record points, unbeaten season and promotion by March etc etc before a ball was kicked.

I think most rational fans knew it would be a difficult league to get out of (as it always has been), there'd be ups and downs along the way but we'll probably do it in the end.

Since we were last down, an average of 93pts win the league, and 87.5pts get you promoted. I think the chasing pack this time will mean that needs to be slightly higher, but we should have enough. Convinced if we're in the top two after Reading away on March 7th we will be fine. Going to be an interesting 4 weeks.

Never been that concerned with Reading or Leeds, it's all about Huddersfield imo. I think we'll do well to get a point there.

The sheer strength of our top individuals has got us where we are, on paper we should be straight back up.

As good as Huddersfield were against Brighton and Leeds, I have doubts over their ability to sustain those levels throughout the run-in. Agree that we'd do well to nab a point there mind - they'll be well up for it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ian W's 'backing' of Pardew used to drive me crazy, but he's just an always look on the bright side of life type of poster IMO and it wasn't like he was a dick with his views. Having met him he's a canny fella as well.