Joelinton

Stifler

2 hours ago, Gaztoon said:

Wonder what the reaction would have been a year ago.. if someone posted they think joelinton would make a borderline worldie of a midfielder ??

Someone did say he should be tried in midfield - cant remember who it was

30 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Someone did say he should be tried in midfield - cant remember who it was

Its @Dr Jinx March 2021

Also, @Cronky said In December 2020 that he seen Joe play in central midifled for Hoffenheim but didnt mention wanting him played there for us.

@Optimistic Nut also mentioned in October 2019 that Joe had started a move at left back then moved into central midfield saying that Joe had 'shown glimpses' of what he can do. But again, theres no mention of wanting to try him in a CM position.

Theres aalso another post by @optimistic nut in October 2019 quoting a tweet about Joes in game stats:

Continuing with my Joelinton agenda:
Joelinton is winning more aerial duels than Rondon did last season.
Joe is being dispossessed less.
Joe is playing more passes, more accurately.
He's making more tackles and interceptions and making as many clearances.
Stop blaming him

Theres also loads of posts and I mean LOADS saying hes not a striker or not suited to attacking midfield or not a target man... Basically all the clues were there and the only person who spotted it was Jinx and Howe (obviously).

(Ive tried doing multi quotes to show but can I fuck get it to work properly. Fucking annoying [emoji38] )

The bloke is a machine. Never stops. I remember reading comments from other players about how good he is, in training etc.. many questioned it, myself included. Could never really fault the bloke for effort in the past, but now his general play has completely turned around under Howe. 

It was clear he had technique, was decent in short passing and holding up play a bit. He worked hard too but he simply seemed like a luxury player without the luxury, simply didn't belong in a normal functioning team.

Never would have expected him to switch back and look so good. He has been found tbh. He was never an out and out striker and while he offered some things out wide he was someone that needed upgrading on in that position.

Truly remarkable how beastly he has become. The positional change has unlocked part of his brain that wasnt connecting and his game has come together. Anything he did well previously he has also amped up and improved on.

If he could only now improve infront of goal to be decent in the one area we thought he excelled in when we bought him, he would have the world at his feet. 

Bloody love the guy.

1 minute ago, ExiledGeordie said:

As great as he’s been I’d still like to see him offer more going forwards. Cant hit a barn door

Got to disagree there, Rice is seen as the ultimate midfielder and IMO Big Joe was better today, I stil think Rice is great BTW

4 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

The way he quickly stretches a leg out and dispossesses the opposition is glorious. It's definitely his thing. 

Did it today over and over. The one that led to a shot in the box was hit well but it had too many people in the way. Very good skill.

Aye but he is a bit shit 

I take back everything bad I ever said about him now. He's immense. People often say its since Clark was sent off against Norwich but he's been simply outstanding since Howe's first game in charge at home to Brentford. Long may it continue. Borderline outrageous his improvement :lol: but to be honest it shouldn't shock us. He was one of a few who just simply needed some guidance and coaching from a competent manager. 

1 hour ago, Lazarus said:

Its @Dr Jinx March 2021

Also, @Cronky said In December 2020 that he seen Joe play in central midifled for Hoffenheim but didnt mention wanting him played there for us.

@Optimistic Nut also mentioned in October 2019 that Joe had started a move at left back then moved into central midfield saying that Joe had 'shown glimpses' of what he can do. But again, theres no mention of wanting to try him in a CM position.

Theres aalso another post by @optimistic nut in October 2019 quoting a tweet about Joes in game stats:

Theres also loads of posts and I mean LOADS saying hes not a striker or not suited to attacking midfield or not a target man... Basically all the clues were there and the only person who spotted it was Jinx and Howe (obviously).

(Ive tried doing multi quotes to show but can I fuck get it to work properly. Fucking annoying [emoji38] )

Well done, Dr Jinx. I pointed out more than once that the only time I saw him play at Hoffenheim, he was in central midfield with two strikers ahead of him, but no, I never advocated trying him there. Partly because he didn't look that great in that position in that Hoffenheim game, and partly because it didn't look to me that he would have the mobility to survive in midfield in the Premiership.

I'm still a bit mystified how he does it, to be honest. Occasionally, that lumbering footwork lands him in difficulty, but then he'll use his strength and good reading of situations to really open things up for us. 

Always shown a good attitude though. Never hid or complained, and now he's getting his reward.

He's so integral to us. His timing is fucking brilliant. He's an ugly tackler, but generally gets the ball and doesnt foul. He's a clunky runner with the ball, but he beats so many players. He looks unconfident passing, but his pass percentage recently must be mint. I honestly think, and have done since he joined, that his reading and understanding is extremely good. Which means his completion percentages are high. Apart from shots on target, obviously. Which is a shame :lol: I love him.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

Just watched the highlights without the nervousness of first viewing. Looks every inch a top quality midfielder, assured, presence, confident, bit of attitude about him now.

Branko Strupar's right above. Be a lush experience to see him notch to cement all of this

Always liked his ability to hold the ball and find cute angles and flicks to put players in, but never dreamed that would translate into such a dominant force in midfield. I think Howe needs all the credit on that one.

A couple of times yesterday he just took a little touch to knock it around and oncoming attacking player to get us out of trouble. When he was first playing in the middle he was doing that and I was assuming it was just luck but he clearly has the ability to do that and knows how to execute it. The problem he has now is this is the type of performance that is expected from him, there's a different kind of pressure than there was a year ago.

Not sure there is a player in this team who I want to succeed more than him. I'd love to see him stay in the team next season and become even more of the perfect midfielder than he is now.