Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Daily Mail: Allan Saint-Maximin has suffered setback in return from hamstring layoff and is out of tomorrow's trip to Man Utd. 
Also likely to miss Everton & Spurs over course of next week. Same issue as before, although irritation not thought to be too serious

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

We know ASM and Wilson are prone to this. Giving Wilson a new deal suggests Howe is happy to live with it which seems a bit odd.

Which surprises me. I think of Howe as being the type that wouldn't like his methodical plans in training all week to hang on whether Wilson or ASM get injured on the Friday playing head tennis. Then he probably has alternate plans sorted and a general way of playing.

Edited by Wolfcastle

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We know ASM and Wilson are prone to this. Giving Wilson a new deal suggests Howe is happy to live with it which seems a bit odd.

Think the idea long term will be to have a squad to be able to rotate and hopefully increase their chances of keeping fit. 

The Maxi and Wilson situations are different because of age. Wilson can float in and out of the side for the remainder or his career. Maxi on the other hand is meant to be our bona-fide left winger and spends half his time picking up knocks and the other half hobbling about on the pitch.

I love Maxi but he's infuriating. 

I can see Isak coming in on the left before long.

14 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think it's a great sign. We're no longer reliant on just Wilson, we're building a squad. If he's available it's a bonus and if he's not it's no longer going to be the end of the world. Same with ASM. At the start of next season we'll have more options than just him as our good left wing option.

His injury record is starting to become a concern.

Last season he only missed 3 matches, and that seems like an anomaly compared to 18 games during 20/21 season and 12 games during 19/20. Already missed 5 games this season and set to lose 3 more. Many of them are hamstring injuries. Doesn't bode well for someone who is only 25. 

15 hours ago, STM said:

The Maxi and Wilson situations are different because of age. Wilson can float in and out of the side for the remainder or his career. Maxi on the other hand is meant to be our bona-fide left winger and spends half his time picking up knocks and the other half hobbling about on the pitch.

I love Maxi but he's infuriating. 

I can see Isak coming in on the left before long.

I agree on Isak as he can play anywhere across the front 3. Saint-Max really does seem to lack durability, maybe it’s the way he plays with reliance on speed but his hamstrings are often going. I can see us signing another wing option who can challenge/play in his place next season. 

7 minutes ago, astraguy said:

He might need a different training program to the rest it's clearly harming him

Bruce was clearly only looking out for ASMs hamstrings when he was giving the squad all those days off.