Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Just now, Sean said:

I haven't got the same attachment to him as many on here, as someone else pointed out earlier not caring about the club under Ashley meant I missed most of his best performances here. I still got a pang of sadness reading the thread title though, and £30 million seems a bit on the low side. Still, it's needed to help the club progress I guess so I can live with that.

Is progress spending it on Barnes though? I like him as a player but can't say he's a huge step up from Maxi.  

7 minutes ago, Decky said:

Forget about his market value, we’re having to sell him to buy other players and get round FFP, and we’re selling him to a Saudi club as well. :lol: Add £20m onto his market value I mean who gives a shit? Easy way for the Saudis to move money into this project. 

Stick a sell on clause or two in there too. He will likely move on from Saudi in a couple of years. 

1 minute ago, duo said:

Is progress spending it on Barnes though? I like him as a player but can't say he's a huge step up from Maxi.  

In terms of ability no, but in terms of consistency and availability a massive upgrade.

FFP is a fucking joke, and I’m not just saying this because it hampers us.

It only serves to protect the clubs that managed to establish themselves before these rules were enforced. 

If anything it prevents new clubs to challenge the established sides consistently. 

£30m is 2x what we paid for him (ish), isn't it? Not too bad imo considering his injury record. Would have preferred if we kept him mind, at least one more season to see if he was able to adapt more to our new style of play and stay fit. Only him and Isak who are consistently successful in dribbling past players in the squad. Just as valuable a trait to have when we need to break down teams imo as being able to unlock a defence with a through pass.

£40m I think is a decent deal for us. As much as an in-form Maxi (Man City (h)) is an absolute treat to watch, the guy spends too long injured and is one of those players who needs a run in the side to start posting decent performances.

I also think that given our new found status as a "bigger side" means a lot of teams will camp in with two banks against us and sit deep, which doesn't really play to Maxi's strengths. He needs space to run into and operate in and is most effective in end-to-end games where the opposing side attacks and leaves some form of space in behind.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that Eddie doesn't fancy him too much, despite the complimentary quotes and general positivity. He can be absolutely unplayable on his day but his injury record and usual need for 3-4 starts on the belt to get going again probably counts against him.

He was one of the only bright spots of an absolutely stinking Bruce era and got us out of the clarts quite a few times in that period and I'll always remember the guy fondly, but if it is indeed £40m or more I think we need to sadly let it happen.

If it's nearer £25m as some rags are reporting then it's a bit of a piss take, I think £35m minimum represents a good deal for us. Lower than that feels a bit Shan when you see what an absolutely finished, older and less exciting Fabinho is going for.

All the best Maxi.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think the belief is that it unlocks a lot more spending than just Barnes. Not that I understand it. 

Sell ASM gives us £30m.

Sign a new player for £40m on a 5 year contract.

£40m doesn't come out of FFP straight away, it's based on the length of contract so in this example 40 (fee) / 5 (contract length) = £8m towards FFP this season.

Also need to include wages so say £4m a year on wages so £12m this season on FFP.

So you can see we can buy a couple of these before we've spent the ASM money.

I think that's the basic idea.

The fact that the playing field isn’t level is the biggest frustration with FFP. The Sky 6 have been allowed to fuck it off and spend whatever for the past decade and it’s only now that the PL/UEFA decide to enforce it, when we’re swimming in cash. 

24 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t think so, our income in general will increase by a lot. 

And we’ll be selling the Kuols and Mintehs from the club which will free some FFP ceiling room for sure. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think the belief is that it unlocks a lot more spending than just Barnes. Not that I understand it. 

Saying for a moment that both fees are 30m...

The 30m we receive for ASM would all be added to our FFP income this year.

And the 30m we spend on Barnes would be divided over the length of his contract. Probably about 5 years, so about 6m per season.

For this year, that's +24m on FFP.

Of course, it's -6 towards FFP for the next four years... but we'll hopefully have revenue increases from other business by then.

(I think :lol:)

1 minute ago, Alberto2005 said:

Sell ASM gives us £30m.

£40m doesn't come out of FFP straight away, it's based on the length of contract so in this example 40 (fee) / 5 (contract length) = £8m towards FFP this season.

Also need to include wages so say £4m a year on wages so £12m this season on FFP.

Thanks, it does make sense, it’s just those amounts seem so small that we should be able to afford them anyway. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Thanks, it does make sense, it’s just those amounts seem so small that we should be able to afford them anyway. 

Well you can only lose £35m a year, and our previous signings will cost a fair bit each season plus we've just signed Tonali.

If you also factor in we've sold nobody of note for ages and our commercial revenue is still low it's easy to imagine we're pushing the limits.

24 minutes ago, duo said:

it makes no sense to sell Maxi to fund Barnes - it is like a sideways move.  Kvaratskhelia - or someone of that ilk yes.

You sell ASM, only sell for the cash in one hit, say £30m. You buy Barnes but spread his fee across 5 years on our accounts, so £30m is only £6m a year on our FFP total. I see that reported a lot so i'm guessing that would be the thinking.

That's probably too simplistic or as you say one sale to buy another with no effect on FFP would make no sense, unless Howe thinks Barnes is far superior. Or what i said is just nonsense.

Edited by Bimpy474

16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Stick a sell on clause or two in there too. He will likely move on from Saudi in a couple of years. 

That’s what I think will happen, a 30% sell on clause plus other bonuses and move him around. The sale that keeps on giving.

15 minutes ago, maze said:

FFP is a fucking joke, and I’m not just saying this because it hampers us.

It only serves to protect the clubs that managed to establish themselves before these rules were enforced. 

If anything it prevents new clubs to challenge the established sides consistently. 

ffp is fucking shambolic. 

10 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Sell ASM gives us £30m.

How does the "player wages" factor help?

ASM is supposedly on 40,000 quid per week (2million a year)

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/newcastle-united-fc/allan-saint-maximin-32735/#:~:text=Current Contract,cap hit of £2%2C000%2C000.

I imagine we'll be paying Barnes considerably more than that.