Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

I actually thought Trippier was MOTM but he was simply outstanding. Genuinely think he loves it here and will stay for the bulk of his career thanks to the takeover. If we stay up that is. Phenomenal natural ability and talent. Love him to bits.

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I actually thought Trippier was MOTM but he was simply outstanding. Genuinely think he loves it here and will stay for the bulk of his career thanks to the takeover. If we stay up that is. Phenomenal natural ability and talent. Love him to bits.

Trippier was easily MOTM like. Barely put a foot wrong all game. ASM had a shocking opening 20 minutes, but that's fine because he will always grow into the games with his incredible ability. 

7 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Not even close. He was the sole reason we stayed up last season, he had some ridiculous performances last year. 

Difference being he was a big fish in a small pond. One of our only hopes. To ight he looked a lot more complete as a performer. Previously... Last year included, he was a maverick getting us out the shit alone, tonight he was more of a team player and a maverick. Therefore he was better on the whole. Goals and assists aren't everythinf, his overall gameplay was a lot better tonight. 

I thought he passed it loads more than usual today, and looked loads better for it. Probably should shoot next time he thinks about laying one off to Joe in the box though :lol:

Edited by Jimburst

1 minute ago, Jimburst said:

I thought he passed it loads more than usual today, and looked loads better for it. Probably should shoot next time he thinks about laying one off to Joe in the box though :lol:

I mean this is part of it :) people scream at him to pass but often the people he has been passing to can't  score to save their lives.

So he probably often has a better odds of scoring alone than if he passed. But he'll get condemned when he shoots but doesn't score but praised if he passes but someone else doesn't score.

Hopefully he doesn't give a shit about the few dissenting voices and will just do his best for the team and as said before, the more we can surround him with better players, the better he will perform. 

Bloke behind me at the match last night, every single time Maxi picked the ball up just kept shouting "pass the ball, pass it you greedy bastard" literally as soon as he picked it up.

Honestly man, I understand he can hold onto it a bit too long sometimes but ffs, it's just what he does. He caused problems all night for everton just running at them. 

3 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Bloke behind me at the match last night, every single time Maxi picked the ball up just kept shouting "pass the ball, pass it you greedy bastard" literally as soon as he picked it up.

Honestly man, I understand he can hold onto it a bit too long sometimes but ffs, it's just what he does. He caused problems all night for everton just running at them. 

The bloke behind you knows fuck all about football, we can all be grateful he’s not in charge of picking the side. 

I find it hard to believe that a Newcastle United fan is in the right state of mind if he "doesn't like" ASM. Supporting Newcastle and liking ASM should go hand in hand. He's a jewel. He walks straight into the starting 11 of many top top clubs.

I honestly think he should actually pass the ball less around the penalty area and try to shoot more instead. He's levels above his teammates in terms of quality and on a completely different wavelength.

It is surprising to see comments such as "needs to pass more" and "frustrating" etc. being used in the context of last night's game in particular, because for me it was probably the best team performance I can recall seeing from him.

His decision was much improved; he played far more simple passes when appropriate than usual, and still retained his usual threat with the ball at his feet. He put on countless simple and critical passes, and but for poor finishing should have had a few more assists to his name.

That was a taste of the level of performance we could expect from him with a team of quality players around him (and as he himself becomes more accomplished). A performance like that in a good team and the score-line may well have been pushing a cricket score.

Also, given how much he runs, I'm sure people seem to think that stamina is infinite; he worked himself to the ground for the full 90 minutes and was still going 100% in the closing minutes.

7 minutes ago, Lenny said:

It is surprising to see comments such as "needs to pass more" and "frustrating" etc. being used in the context of last night's game in particular, because for me it was probably the best team performance I can recall seeing from him.

His decision was much improved; he played far more simple passes when appropriate than usual, and still retained his usual threat with the ball at his feet. He put on countless simple and critical passes, and but for poor finishing should have had a few more assists to his name.

That was a taste of the level of performance we could expect from him with a team of quality players around him (and as he himself becomes more accomplished). A performance like that in a good team and the score-line may well have been pushing a cricket score.

Also, given how much he runs, I'm sure people seem to think that stamina is infinite; he worked himself to the ground for the full 90 minutes and was still going 100% in the closing minutes.

I hadn't seen a great deal of him before Howe but had heard mates rave about him (I actually thought he was a left back until a few month ago [emoji38]). So my initial impression was that he had bags of talent but nowt between his ears. His attitude looked appalling too. Despite that he was clearly our only creative threat and pretty much the only player bringing any kind of enjoyment.

Last night was the best individual performance I've seen from an attacking player in a Newcastle shirt in god knows how long though. I cannot even remember Ben Arfa tying a defence in knots like that, he looked insane.

I won't expect that every game, but if it's a good reflection of him going forwards under Howe he's going to bury some sides, you cannot deal with it.

Also helps that our players are now more fluid and making options for passes. We were static in previous games and often ASM had to create his own opportunities due to lack of passing lanes. Supporters also have to recognise that dribbling is by far his key value, and drawing defenders away will create more space for his teammates.