Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Dokko[/member] are you this positive in real life? It's nice.

No.  :lol: I’m a grumpy, cynical and mostly miserable bastard who’d give victor meldrew a run for his money, but in the last year I’m seeing things more positively.

I’m possibly wrong, but don’t think I am. Whatever is going on it’s not a rejection and Saudi hoeing their toys out the pram, I’m 100% that isn’t the case here. I do believe they’ll break away and the PL should have stepped in and suggested this a long time ago.

Ultimately it is the best solution.  Neither Qatar or SA lose face, the PL get another wheelbarrow of cash, Bein get some wedge for something that was previously worthless to them.  The only real losers are the people of Saudi Arabia who are gonna be forced to watch us draw 0-0 with Oxford.

Guest neesy111

I think we need more information before jumping to what this means.  I don't however see PL and Bein agreeing to allow KSA individual rights based on this.

These international broadcasting regions, which organisation sets them?  Are these regions specific to the Premier League and are therefore just an issue for PL football, or is it something implemented by a body like FIFA for the broadcasting rights of world football? 

By the rights owner e.g. the league.

for sure, but this is presumably the first time one country within a region has refused to deal with the country that owns the rights?  i mean what if NK won the asian region, surely the PL couldn't expect SK to either suck it up or just not watch PL games

it's like everyone is going out of their way to find a new angle to shit things up :lol:

People are aware that this deal isn't about giving the Saudi Arabian population a pet football team, aye?

This does not appear positive to me, but it's a business investment, not an attempt to turn Riyadh black and white

Ultimately it is the best solution.  Neither Qatar or SA lose face, the PL get another wheelbarrow of cash, Bein get some wedge for something that was previously worthless to them.  The only real losers are the people of Saudi Arabia who are gonna be forced to watch us draw 0-0 with Oxford and shit.

i'd argue Qatar/Bein loses face in that scenario as KSA has been able to do what they feel like and bein loses a large rich region from its various tv deals

These international broadcasting regions, which organisation sets them?  Are these regions specific to the Premier League and are therefore just an issue for PL football, or is it something implemented by a body like FIFA for the broadcasting rights of world football? 

By the rights owner e.g. the league.

O0 Cheers!

Saudis will buy their own broadcast rights.

So Saudi pay x millions to PL & compensate BeIN and gain rights to all PL games in Saudi. This way they won't infringe any of Qatari's claims of piracy. PL gets more money, BeIN cut loss & Takeover approved. Win Win Win?

Guest godzilla

I think we need more information before jumping to what this means.  I don't however see PL and Bein agreeing to allow KSA individual rights based on this.

The PL, I certainly could see agreeing it as 1. they will get rid of piracy and 2. they will have massive new investment for watching their product

Guest godzilla

This is a positive.

How? Don't see how the PL would be happy with this

If they are getting rid of piracy and then getting new investment with a new deal, then I would say they would be happy with that.

This is a positive.

If they are getting rid of piracy and then getting new investment with a new deal, then I would say they would be happy with that.

But they can’t legally get a new deal until the end of next season.

Guest godzilla

This is a positive.

Not if they have legally extracted their country from the regional territory, we can't comment on the legalities as we don't know them. Going to have to wait for more information to come out.

This is a positive.

Not if they have legally extracted their country from the regional territory, we can't comment on the legalities as we don't know them. Going to have to wait for more information to come out.

Surely Bein can't pay the PL for rights for the whole region and then half way through the contract, suddenly the PL sell rights for one of those countries to a different network?

It might have no bearing on the takeover but I can't see it being a positive

This is a positive.

Surely Bein can't pay the PL for rights for the whole region and then half way through the contract, suddenly the PL sell rights for one of those countries to a different network?

I've no idea, but maybe Saudi have paid the PL to go their own way?

This is a positive.

t sounds like a textbook breach of contract which would cost the prem a lot more than they'd get from selling rights to SA on its own next season

Even if the PL/KSA agreed to separate the country from MENA then pay BeIn the money lost, all happening without telling BeIn, seems like bad form to release a statement before BeIn's even made aware.

Bein will be aware, they are just playing games.