Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

What's Castore got to do with the takeover, is that not just a new commercial deal?

I think that doesn't read how it's supposed to, not certain but i think it means the club shop will only supply our kits, and maybe other Castore merchandise.

I'm assuming store at the club had other teams kits, and general crap Sports Direct sell.

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

Why would the new owners not what the club shop? Wouldn't that just be the case if the prospective owner was skint and needed to chop any non-essentials out of the deal.

Wouldn't be confident it's not classic Ashley just trying to deflect as he kicks people out of their jobs.

The story says the shop would be refurbished and reopened as a club store, if........big if.

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Why would the new owners not what the club shop? Wouldn't that just be the case if the prospective owner was skint and needed to chop any non-essentials out of the deal.

Part of the club shop at SJP is basically a glorified SD now. Presumably those working there have their wages paid by SD. The smaller downstairs section in particular sold all sorts of kits.

The article suggests the new owners will revert it back to a proper club shop - NUFC merchandise.

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's a Sports Direct shop. Guessing that has something to do with it. 

Simple as this. Our commercial income is laughable and everything is out sourced. Bringing the club shop back in house points to him being all but gone, if staff have indeed been laid off from Sports Direct.

Edited by Whitley mag

I mean, it's more smoke, to add to what's been billowing for months on end. I don't see why he would remove that particular Sports Direct branch (one would assume it performs pretty well) unless he had a really good reason to do so, like the prospect of a £300m payday. 

Of course, it's more smoke from the parties who don't actually make the final call. Which is where it's always come from. So, in that respect, there's no reason to feel any more optimistic than you would about any other piece of conjecture you might come up with based on the behaviour of Ashley / the consortium. 

8 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Easier for Ashley to state change in ownership whilst making a bunch of people redundant (if that's what has been said) but its more likely Castore have the ownership of the shops now and that is the new ownership talked about but its been twisted to takeover news.

That’s the big question who is the new ownership that’s being mentioned.  New owners of the club shop or new owners of the club. Could be massive news or nothing, we will soon find out I would imagine.

10 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Part of the club shop at SJP is basically a glorified SD now. Presumably those working there have their wages paid by SD. The smaller downstairs section in particular sold all sorts of kits.

The article suggests the new owners will revert it back to a proper club shop - NUFC merchandise.

Ah I see, I didn't pay attention properly and assumed him closing it meant selling it to another 3rd party.

8 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

That’s the big question who is the new ownership that’s being mentioned.  New owners of the club shop or new owners of the club. Could be massive news or nothing, we will soon find out I would imagine.

I mean, it literally says in the article headline “clubs new owners”

could be a clue like 

Just now, gdm said:

could be a clue like 

Not really, it’s just likely to be spin. Staff being told new owners which is most likely owners of the shop but that doesn’t write a headline for a newspaper. 

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

could be a clue like 

Come on how many times have we seen article headlines which are not done by the journalist being incorrect. Don’t get me wrong sounds very interesting, but let’s not get too carried away.

Edited by et tu brute

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Not really, it’s just likely to be spin. Staff being told new owners which is most likely owners of the shop but that doesn’t write a headline for a newspaper. 

Well either way it’s not nothing if there is a new owner of the shop which would be pretty strange tbh then I can’t see that going down well with PIF as they will want the merchandise revenue. 

makes no sense that Ashley would sell up the club shop to someone else that isn’t new club owners 

9 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Aye, this makes absolutely the most sense as Mike Ashley is famous for giving a fuck about what people think of him and his business decisions, would definitely need something to hide behind. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Well either way it’s not nothing if there is a new owner of the shop which would be pretty strange tbh then I can’t see that going down well with PIF as they will want the merchandise revenue. 

makes no sense that Ashley would sell up the club shop to someone else that isn’t new club owners 

PIF would be more interested in global merchandise rather than a shop at the ground. It could quite easily be a lease the length they have the kit manf contract for. Also, it’s peanuts in the grand scale of things, new owners just buy it back, in fact it’s now easier as you aren’t trying to get it out of Ashley’s hands. 

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

PIF would be more interested in global merchandise rather than a shop at the ground. It could quite easily be a lease the length they have the kit manf contract for. Also, it’s peanuts in the grand scale of things, new owners just buy it back, in fact it’s now easier as you aren’t trying to get it out of Ashley’s hands. 

Not saying you’re wrong, but pointless doing assumptions until it’s cleared up exactly what is meant by new owners. No doubt be cleared up by tomorrow either way.

Mike Ashley giving up the retail section of the club is odd like. Its about the only part of the football club he remotely enjoys. How significant it is, nobody knows really. I would have thought quite insignificant in the scheme of things and its Ashley trying to make any potential sale a little easier. Its a scrap of hope though.