Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

The fact all directors nominated have already passed o & d certainly clears up why they were confident of approval last week. They’re clearly a hairs breath away from approval, let’s hope this threat of legal action sees us home.

PL will have made fools of themselves if they have to backtrack under threat of legal action. Stupid bastards should have just let it go through first time and there would have been a lot less fuss.

"The league are understood to feel that, with legal backing, the Saudi state could exert influence over the football club and would in effect be a ‘shadow director’."

Extract form the Gazette article.

This has been bubbling away in my head for awhile now.... So fucking what if MBS could control shit going on at NUFC?  What is it that he could do that has them worried?

If it's true that they are meant to redo the checks on every club every 12 months then this is how they tackle this potential problem. Approve the deal then in 12 months, if there seems to have been influence from MBS, then do something about it.

Not only every year, they can disqualify directors at any time 'upon becoming aware' of any disqualifying event.

Agree 100% but that's assuming the PL wanted to find a solution.

The fact all directors nominated have already passed o & d certainly clears up why they were confident of approval last week. They’re clearly a hairs breath away from approval, let’s hope this threat of legal action sees us home.

PL will have made fools of themselves if they have to backtrack under threat of legal action. Stupid bastards should have just let it go through first time and there would have been a lot less fuss.

Aye, if they don't go down kicking and screaming, it will speak volumes of the corruption/ineptitude.

"The league are understood to feel that, with legal backing, the Saudi state could exert influence over the football club and would in effect be a ‘shadow director’."

Extract form the Gazette article.

This has been bubbling away in my head for awhile now.... So fucking what if MBS could control shit going on at NUFC?  What is it that he could do that has them worried?

If it's true that they are meant to redo the checks on every club every 12 months then this is how they tackle this potential problem. Approve the deal then in 12 months, if there seems to have been influence from MBS, then do something about it.

Not only every year, they can disqualify directors at any time 'upon becoming aware' of any disqualifying event.

Agree 100% but that's assuming the PL wanted to find a solution.

I'm sure they don't, they seem to be desperate to avoid actually making a decision, which suggests they are stuck between a rock and hard place of not wanting to approve the directors but not being confident enough of their reasons to disqualify them.

Lotttt of belt-tightening measures going on in KSA at the moment so I still don't think it's a given that they'll be back in one way or another. Still, it'd be nice to see the PL dragged through the s*** for their handling of this whole affair.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that this is not a frivolous purchase but a key part of MBS Vision2030 plan? Are they cutting back on this project too?

This keeps getting mentioned but I don't see how it has anything to do with the potential acquisition of NUFC. The main concerns with regards to Vision 2030 are: to diversify the economy away from oil (if this is related to that, there are far better options ROI-wise than buying a football club, especially in the current climate), improve the health sector, improve education, promote tourism (again can't imagine this would be enriched through buying nufc), facilitate more recreation activities and improving infrastructure.

Hard to argue that buying the club ties into any of those goals in my humble opinion.

Lotttt of belt-tightening measures going on in KSA at the moment so I still don't think it's a given that they'll be back in one way or another. Still, it'd be nice to see the PL dragged through the s*** for their handling of this whole affair.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that this is not a frivolous purchase but a key part of MBS Vision2030 plan? Are they cutting back on this project too?

This keeps getting mentioned but I don't see how it has anything to do with the potential acquisition of NUFC. The main concerns with regards to Vision 2030 are: to diversify the economy away from oil (if this is related to that, there are far better options ROI-wise than buying a football club, especially in the current climate), improve the health sector, improve education, promote tourism (again can't imagine this would be enriched through buying nufc), facilitate more recreation activities and improving infrastructure.

Hard to argue that buying the club ties into any of those goals in my humble opinion.

You would surely level the same argument at the original purchase which they clearly were interested in, though?

Thinking out loud.......

What exactly would the PL have to be worried about in terms of MBS having influence/control over?

Its obviously not the supplier of the half time pies....so what is it?

Undue influence on tv rights? commercial sponsorships? regional influence?

Hard to argue that buying NUFC ties into any of those goals in my humble opinion.

But despite your lack of belief in it, does seem like PIF's interest has stayed strong. Do you think it has now become a matter of pride, having set their sights on  buying a premier league club, the Saudis don't want to be seen to be rejected?

McCormick[/member] could this just be simply a PIF investment into the lucrative (and maybe fun) world of football - ala City, PSG etc. PIF flexing some muscles in sport.

Ofcourse it is. And mostly it's marketing for them.

What goes first when the belt-tightening starts? Marketing costs.

My take is that football is a worldwide game, huge audiences and probably biggest sport in the west.

You only need to take a look at man city to see how sportswashing does seemingly work. Could be a ploy of theirs to come across a bit more nicey nice and not so much chopping up reporters.

I guess I think they're in it to change the perception of SA in the west. Football and ROI does not go in the same sentence.