Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

If it goes on any longer PIF won’t want to take over a club looking likely to get relegated. Imo if this goes in to March they either walk away or wait till the season is over and hope we stay up

Do we know for an absolute fact that relegation is a show stopper ?

They've spent so long on this, it would be a decision made on such short term thinking if they dropped it because of relegation. With the right structure and management in place, quick promotion back to the PL could be achieved. Buying the club will be a long term plan so it would appear a bit silly to dump it all for maybe 1/2 years in the championship. They want the club because of it's potential. Relegation doesn't take that potential away.

All of the “ITK’s” have stated that it’s off it we’re relegated. Should we choose to believe that they know the takeover is still on but ignore that part?

If it goes on any longer PIF won’t want to take over a club looking likely to get relegated. Imo if this goes in to March they either walk away or wait till the season is over and hope we stay up

They've spent so long on this, it would be a decision made on such short term thinking if they dropped it because of relegation. With the right structure and management in place, quick promotion back to the PL could be achieved. Buying the club will be a long term plan so it would appear a bit silly to dump it all for maybe 1/2 years in the championship. They want the club because of it's potential. Relegation doesn't take that potential away.

According to Mark Douglas the other day it’s not a deal breaker and they would have done deal last season regardless, as it was a long term investment. However, Liam Kennedy thinks it would be so take ya pick.

All of the “ITK’s” have stated that it’s off it we’re relegated. Should we choose to believe that they know the takeover is still on but ignore that part?

It’s more fact it’s still going on than conjecture though

If we had PIF & Rafa and fans allowed back, it'd be the most insane 2nd division season ever. We'd be more TV worthy than most of the Prem. Can you imagine the sense of momentum, man?

Well for one, coming straight back up isn't guaranteed so they can't say for sure that's a given

Why is relegation such a big deal? The costs incurred are peanuts to these people. They wouldn't even need to buy players. Rafa would walk the league with our current squad. Then the project begins. If Amanda knows anything about Newcastle, the she would know that one year in the 2nd divison wouldn't harm the 'brand'. The place would be on fire once supporters are allowed back. We'd be a raucus juggernaut of a club; a sky sports wet dream.

Can't see Rafa doing another Championship season willingly. He's said he knows he has finite time left in management and doesn't want to be spending another season of it in the second division.

Oh of course not. It's as likely to be as correct as all the other info that they provide.

I think i'm looking for reasons as to why Ashley doesn't appear to be panicking. As much as he likes to gamble, I can't believe he (or the buyers) would gamble on this falling through, given how much has been spent on it.

Oh of course not. It's as likely to be as correct as all the other info that they provide.

I think i'm looking for reasons as to why Ashley doesn't appear to be panicking. As much as he likes to gamble, I can't believe he (or the buyers) would gamble on this falling through, given how much has been spent on it.

Ashley has shown time and time again that he is willing to take that sort of gamble. Should the issues with the O&D test be sorted any time soon I can't see the takeover going through until the outcome of that gamble is known.

To be honest, Mike's position here isn't unreasonable. He's potentially a pube's width away from selling the club and doesn't want to be parting with any more money than he needs to. What does he care if we go down after that? He might also feel that the buyers are calling his bluff with this "mustn't get relegated" talk. And he might be right. They've invested so much in it already.

Either way, I'm sure there's pressure form the buyers to bin the fat oaf.

Let's say, whatever needs to happen this week, happens. Everything goes in our favour.

Do you really think, the PL will say, "oh look. Saudis and Qatar are buddies again. All legal obstacles there are dropped. Ok PIF. You can take control of Newcastle United Football Club once the keys arrive on your doorstep through the mail next week". Surely they'll make us go through whatever pathetic test they have arranged, take a bit more time to chew on it a little and then, maybe just maybe, they will give the green light? That'll take ages and baconhead would probably have us in the relegation zone already.

Oh, that's not even including the influx of letters that the PL will receive from widows, human rights groups, a bunch of nobodies and etc. Masters needs to reply to all those again. This is going to drag on again.

Ashley has shown time and time again that he is willing to take that sort of gamble. Should the issues with the O&D test be sorted any time soon I can't see the takeover going through until the outcome of that gamble is known.

If he's prepared to gamble on relegation and subsequently the sale, then it tells me that he isn't truly committed to getting rid of the club.

That and that he is an utter fuckwit.

If he's prepared to gamble on relegation and subsequently the sale, then it tells me that he isn't truly committed to getting rid of the club.

He's spent the past 13 years doing everything he could to prove exactly that.

He's spent the past 13 years doing everything he could to prove exactly that.

Certainly don't disagree. I just thought this time was different in that I thought he definitely wanted to sell the club.

To be honest, Mike's position here isn't unreasonable. He's potentially a pube's width away from selling the club and doesn't want to be parting with any more money than he needs to. What does he care if we go down after that? He might also feel that the buyers are calling his bluff with this "mustn't get relegated" talk. And he might be right. They've invested so much in it already.

Either way, I'm sure there's pressure form the buyers to bin the fat oaf.

The thing is though sacking Bruce isn’t coming out of his own pocket, it’s the clubs. He can always pay Bruce off and ultimately the consortium will be the ones finding the bill for Bruce’s contract.

Rafa was supposed to have clause in his contract that if he was sacked then they would only pay out what remained of the season we were in, similarly if he was to leave then the compensation would be the same.

It would be hard to believe that Bruce isn’t on a similar contract, or potentially worse in terms of his pay off.

If Ashley is gambling, then he’s gambling out of the thrill not out of wanting to save £200k-£300k at most.

This is the guy who gambled £1m on red and lost it, then went on drinking the night away.

Can anyone remember what was the reason for the top 6 clubs objected to the takeover

Not sure an official 'reason' has been given. But it's clear the so called 'big 6' clubs fear a cash rich Saudi backed team pushing one of the down the pecking order, and doing a Man City.

Used to be a Top 4 didn't it, till Chelsea and Man City got taken over pushed in.

And of course, only so many european places to play for.

Can anyone remember what was the reason for the top 6 clubs objected to the takeover

Because given the potential backing of the Saudis to us, one of them wouldn’t be in the top 6 for much longer....pure jealousy and fear at being usurped.

Us owned by the Saudis. Leeds owned by Qatar. With that level of competition, the PL would be exciting. You'd think they'd be falling over themselves to pass the takeover.

I make you right, the Premier League is about money and deals, if the Bein issue is sorted this week the takeover will go through, I imagine FFP will be getting mentioned a lot over the next few weeks to appease the top 6

So is Bein the only hurdle  ?

Not officially, the PL's official position is that that the Saudi state should be included as a director in the O&D test, although they have refused to actually make a formal decision on that basis.

The piracy issue might then become a reason to disqualify the Saudi state, but it's hard to see how they could actually do that within the scope of the test.