Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

16 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

I've been bored this evening and done some digging on the exact makeup of the board, directors now etc. Is this correct?

Non-Exec Chairman: Yasir
Directors: Staveley, Reuben, Al-Sorour

CEO: Eales

Sporting Director: Ashworth

I thought Mehrdad was involved as a director too but apparently not.

Happy friday, anyway.

Do they not have to have an odd number (casting vote)?

4 hours ago, jack j said:

All the ITKS must have had the week off when this was happening

Luke Edwards knew about it, he was working in tandem with the club to keep a lid on it. :bluestar:

3 hours ago, thomas said:

Drops a ST price hike in the middle of a shit season + record inflation then dips for NUFC within hours. Fan reaction among my mates - I gave up my ST and following long ago - is very mixed to say the least. Our injury record is something to behold in all honesty though, this season has not been kind.

On balance he's probably been good though and I'd bet Ashworth is miles beyond boca as someone to run that side of things.

Can't be that long ago they gave up their ST if they played their first game in March 2017. :lol:

This man is a world builder.

Passionate and deeply cares about the fans want. He reminds me so much of a man I used to work with who went on to big things - great speaker, knowledgable and authoritive. Cultivates a meritocratic approach.

I didn't get goosebumps with Howe or Ashworth, I do with this man.

22 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Can't be that long ago they gave up their ST if they played their first game in March 2017. :lol:

I said I dropped mine and it was in 2019 w/ de Boer at the helm. Also it might have only been 3 years in real time but covid time makes it feel like it was 1988.

Edited by thomas

I've transcribed a bit of the interview he did on YouTube in April of this year from about 31:50 onwards:

Footballco:

Hyperthetically, if you were to move back to the Premier League and take up a role at an English Premier League club, what have you learnt from the MLS and what would you bring over? Or do you feel like it's a unique MLS & Atlanta-only experience that couldn't be replicated?

Darren Eales

It's a great question, it's funny because it's always a question I get back in England - 'what have you brought from England to make Atlanta United a success', and to be honest, I think it's the other way around. I've learned far more here in the United States. I think it's more, not just from MLS but I think from building a club whether it's American football, soccer, Major League Baseball, I've spoken a little bit about it. For me it's about listening to the supporters. And I get it. I was in Premier League football for 11 or 12 years. You've got waiting lists because people are fans because their mum or dad were fans, or their grandparents were fans and I think there's a tendency to take the supporters for granted. You've got this huge TV deal that you know that that revenue is coming in. You can't afford to do that when you're in America because you're not only fighting the other professional sports, you're fighting college sports which is just as big.

So I think that what I found really interesting, my biggest take away, is this idea of listening and responding with the supporters in mind. If you do that, if you make every decision through the lense of something that's good for the supporters, something that the supporters want, you just make good business decisions. It's not that you're sort of going out of your way to do things that makes your job more difficult, you're actually doing things that are more successful. And I think that's my biggest learning.

Wherever I've had a nagging doubt at the back of my mind on something it's usually because if I think about it, that's probably because it'll antagonise the supporters in some way and why would we do that when we could do it 'this way' and bring the supporters along with us. And I think what you get with that is you get the fan base that we've (Atlanta United) got.

We're a brand new club in a sport that is number four in the country. But we're in the top 10 in the world in global attendance, and that's because we think about our supporters and we do things and we build the whole club around them. That's great business sense, because we're getting the revenue, we're getting a supporter base that's really engaged so commercial partners are excited to work with us because they know our supporters are totally engaged with the club and are more passionate advocates, and they're going to be more passionate advocates for their brand.

So for me, it's not necessarily taking things that we've done at Atlanta and doing that in the Premier League, it's taking the approach of 'how do we think about what our supporters want', and then in that lense, make those decisions that make more sense business-wise.

We've seen it a little bit, we have a minority share in Aberdeen up in the Scottish Premier League, and Aberdeen's done a great job and they've tried to focus on that younger audience that I think we've seen that, and we're seeing that in the Premier League where a lot of young people, they can't get into the stadiums. Whether that's because of the season ticket waiting list, or the price is too high. So in Aberdeen they did a focus, they created an area, called it the 'Red Shed', tried to make it the area where the young people went to. And they did a great job, they sold it out within six months. But all that was, was saying what's the problem that we've got here, or what are we trying to find the solution for where we might have disenfranchised supporters, and how can we create it? And so they were just thinking about that.

But that was just a small example of if you are thinking through the lense of the supporter, I think you can realise not only a better atmosphere, a better relationship with the supporter base, but also it makes business sense. That ultimately I think is the best learning I've got from the United States. If you take that approach, it's a win-win for everybody.

:cloud:

Edited by HawK

33 minutes ago, HawK said:

I've transcribed a bit of the interview he did on YouTube in April of this year from about 31:50 onwards:

:cloud:

I refer you to the post from Thomas re the timing of the ST price hike etc.

2 hours ago, Numbers said:

Comical that they're so pissed off about us.

Personally couldn't care about Sunderland, either the place or the team, they're irrelevant.

Oh I do.  I’ve had to wait a decade and a half to really be able to laugh at them thanks to the fat cunt who owned us.  Not being able to laugh at them has felt like having a good yawn or sneeze interrupted.

Now I can again.  It’s fantastic

6 hours ago, thomas said:

Drops a ST price hike in the middle of a shit season + record inflation then dips for NUFC within hours. Fan reaction among my mates - I gave up my ST and following long ago - is very mixed to say the least. Our injury record is something to behold in all honesty though, this season has not been kind.

On balance he's probably been good though and I'd bet Ashworth is miles beyond boca as someone to run that side of things.

wasnt it something like 2-3% increase over 2020? Most mls clubs froze 2021. Demand that high and consumer leisure spending still absolutely off the rails here in the USA that was bound to happen. Happened all over the league and most sports here. 

54 minutes ago, Kanji said:

wasnt it something like 2-3% increase over 2020? Most mls clubs froze 2021. Demand that high and consumer leisure spending still absolutely off the rails here in the USA that was bound to happen. Happened all over the league and most sports here. 

from 8%-15% in most cases actually, and for one fewer game (no "18th game" perk) so price per game has gone up. People aren't best pleased given other economic situations and our general direness right now.

image.thumb.png.9edd27ea3aff04da01cebffb8fc8214e.png

Edited by thomas

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Oh I do.  I’ve had to wait a decade and a half to really be able to laugh at them thanks to the fat cunt who owned us.  Not being able to laugh at them has felt like having a good yawn or sneeze interrupted.

Now I can again.  It’s fantastic

Funny as fuck seeing them rant back and forth between faux outrage, to 'it's not what they think it is', and then back to faux outrage. It's brilliant seeing the fuckers totally broken [emoji38]

12 hours ago, Ameritoon said:

Thought this was interesting. Waugh apparently had an idea about it but didn't mention it at all

hmmm, the Athletic didn’t have a 17 paragraph profile of him ready to publish. I think they were just as surprised as we were.