Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

media go on about spending £90m+ in january but dont mention we havent been playing our most expensive signing and that the 3 best players in out squad have been injured. its the old team plus dan burn and targett.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

media go on about spending £90m+ in january but dont mention we havent been playing our most expensive signing and that the 3 best players in out squad have been injured. its the old team plus dan burn and targett.

I was thinking exactly that. Bruno mostly doesn't play and Trippier is out long term. Burn and Targett are great additions though and Trippier was a big help in getting the shit organized but your point remains.

Biggest compliment I can pay Eddie and the new coaching team is that in their first press conferences they were asked which players impressed them. Eddie I think mentioned Joelinton and, without prompting, Shelvey being a great technician. I was so disappointed at the time, thinking he would be too hesitant to change the failing players. Little did I know he was picking out 2/3s of the best midfield in the league outside the top 6. 

Eddie’s earned the right for me to trust his judgments without question for a good 3 months before voice my doubts again

I've lived in Bournemouth for over a decade after leaving the North East, and he's a legend down here.

I've wanted him to get a chance to manage Newcastle for a long time, before Bournemouth even got to the PL, and I'm delighted that he is now our manager.

I'm also very pleased that he's doing so well, however I will say that I'm not remotely surprised. I've seen first hand what Howe can do to a club.

Anecdote time: In October 2014, toward the end of Alan Pardew's reign of horror, I got into a massive argument with a guy in a bar overseas in Fujairah, who mocked me for wanting rid of him. He was asking who we could possibly get who was better, I guess he hoped I'd name someone unrealistic and he could then mock me for being deluded but straight away I said Howe, even though Bournemouth were in the Championship at the time, because I knew he was a rising star. He'd never heard of Howe, which I guess was fair enough, but he still laughed and said I was being stupid and we should keep Pardew and intimated that because he'd never heard of Howe he must be crap and worse than Pardew. I hope he remembers that conversation now.

There was a little second or two bit on MotD when the players and staff came over to the Newcastle fans after the match today, he's not just smiling, he breaks into a chuckle, it goes beyond a smile. I remember doing that when Keegan was manager, I'd be in the ground and a passage of play would happen and I'd be giggling, we were that good. i think Eddie's realised where this could go.........and he still can't quite believe it.

Edited by madras

7 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

We've not conceded in the second half for five games in a row. The Villa pinball offside goal aside, it hasn't even looked like happening.

In our first 20 games of 21/22, we conceded 22 in the final 30 minutes alone, blowing out of our arse every week. That's why we lost all those points from winning positions.

I'll be honest, I didn't thin EH was as ruthless a manager when he first came in. I really thought he was a young chummy chummy everyone's mate kinda manager.

Then you read the interviews where he is the meticulous driven coach fixated on his work, and JT of all people is the good cop.

I just could not envisage that at the time.

He is just a consummate professional, and a bit of gent. Well done EH :clap:

We’ve always wondered ‘what if’ with if Bobby had taken over from Keegan. This isn’t as big but if we could have convinced Howe after Benitez instead of Steve twatting Bruce, I think we’d have been an upper mid-table team now. Probably one big transfer window from a top 6 contender.

He's been helped greatly by the new signings - particularly Dan Burn - but even allowing for that, I've been surprised by the transformation. He's taken the fear out of our game. 

After the last five years of defensive football, I was very unconfident as to whether his more positive approach would work with the squad. I went to West Ham, expecting a defend and counter attack strategy. The game kicked off and West Ham didn't touch the ball for the first five minutes. We had 53% possession playing away to a team that was 4th in the league.

He's made some ballsy decisions - committing Joelinton to a three man midfield, keeping Willock in the side and not rushing Bruno in - and they've come off. 

I was actually quite moved by the recent interviews with Willock and Fraser. And by that photo. Perhaps nice guys don't always come last.

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

He's been helped greatly by the new signings - particularly Dan Burn - but even allowing for that, I've been surprised by the transformation. He's taken the fear out of our game. 

After the last five years of defensive football, I was very unconfident as to whether his more positive approach would work with the squad. I went to West Ham, expecting a defend and counter attack strategy. The game kicked off and West Ham didn't touch the ball for the first five minutes. We had 53% possession playing away to a team that was 4th in the league.

He's made some ballsy decisions - committing Joelinton to a three man midfield, keeping Willock in the side and not rushing Bruno in - and they've come off. 

I was actually quite moved by the recent interviews with Willock and Fraser. And by that photo. Perhaps nice guys don't always come last.

Big asterisk next to yesterday as a result of the early red card, but when was the last time we had the most possession in two consecutive games? :lol:

EDIT: Two consecutive games away from home too.

Edited by christ

I'm so delighted for him. Used to really push my buttons hard when he'd get described as a bog average manager, or worse, as if getting a club from League 2 to the Premier League and keeping them there was something any old clown could do. Makes me wish we'd not banned that twerp Gallowgate End/"Rafa Facts".

"But he got relegated!"

Aye well he's not this season or for the foreseeable so get to fuck.