Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

29 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Means ‘surprising’ or ‘unconventional’, that no one will have thought of or mentioned, in this instance, like a Gallardo, Almeida, Crespo or suchlike.  

Thank you everyone….I learn something new every day on this forum😀

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Who were they, out of interest?

The likes of Amorim from sporting 

Jardim the ex monoco who worked with campos 

Basically a mix of up coming managers really but was a really good read 

Edited by SUPERTOON

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Who were they, out of interest?

Fonseca, Conte, Italiano, Venturato, Amorim, Jardim, Farioli, Monchi & Lopetegui, Alonso, Valverde, Terzic, Tedesco, Jaissle, Hodgson, Potter, Rangnick, Gallardo, Gasperini.

Think we would all love someone to be in this week, however with it being Chelsea it’s easier to let jones have it. As long as they are in before the next international break I think we will be fine.

I would also add that I’m hoping they aren’t doing all this due diligence and everything to then end up with Lampard, Howe, Martinez or Gerrard.

Not convinced with Fonseca but love his charisma and philosophy. He at least has experiences in different leagues. We need someone with some flair, that is inspirational to the fans as well as the players. He fits that. Even if it's a 50/50 gamble. I also echo the thought that he would likely be in for the long haul rather than Gerrard jumping to Liverpool or England or similar with other candidates.

Likewise, even if interested, there is no guarantee Ten Hag works outside of Holland. De Boer had a shocker and was equally as hyped. 

Favre would surely be a safe interim manager but is possibly the least inspiring. We do need safe hands right now though.

All will surely do better than a lampard or Martinez though.

We all need a fresh face imo. Although Wenger as interim until we build enough to get the number one target of the owners...hell yes.

Not overly fussed. 

If Staveley, the Reubens and PIF are serious anyway when they said they want to make us title challengers/winners in the next 5-10 years then out of all the managers we've been (realistically) linked with, the next manager we appoint won't be the manager to make us a contender. 

He'll take us up another level and essentially be a stepping stone to a bigger named manager coming in a few years down the line. 

Out of all the managers we've been linked with I don't think there's any that you could say would guarantee us survival this season. 

We'll see. There should be enough in the squad to avoid the drop but we'll likely be 6 adrift this weekend if & when Leeds beat Norwich. Important thing is that we're not cut adrift come January and are able to buy our way out of trouble. 

It would be a big no from me for Wenger. Watching him unravel at Arsenal suggests his time has long passed - maybe as a DOF, but even then I'm not convinced. Take his 2 yearly World Cup plans for one thing, as to his football ideas.

He achieved great things, but that was on a defensive bedrock that was already built for him, and which we don't get to start with.

Give him a Viera and a Petit in midfield, then yes, but those kind of players don't come around every day and for the last 5-10 years of his time at Arsenal, the only thing you could hear from the Emirates was the sound of their fans complaining.

I don’t get the clamour for Fonseca. He seems to have done a respectable job at Shakhtar and had an ok couple of years at Roma, albeit in difficult circumstances. Am I missing something, or is it just because he looks good in a suit and talks about playing attacking football?

If you’re looking at out of work managers from the continent Favre seems a much better option.

4 minutes ago, Abacus said:

It would be a big no from me for Wenger. Watching him unravel at Arsenal suggests his time has long passed - maybe as a DOF, but even then I'm not convinced. Take his 2 yearly World Cup plans for one thing, as to his football ideas.

He achieved great things, but that was on a defensive bedrock that was already built for him, and which we don't get to start with.

Give him a Viera and a Petit in midfield, then yes, but those kind of players don't come around every day and for the last 5-10 years of his time at Arsenal, the only thing you could hear from the Emirates was the sound of their fans complaining.

For sure. But for interim we won't go down under Wenger and players will both play for him and come here for him. He would be very safe hands as an interim imo. Don't see him wanting to jump back in though.

From the list above ten Hag if it was possible (which I don't think it is)

From the rest then Martinez is probably the only one that gives me shudders, think he would be an utter disaster.

Can't see Rodgers leaving Leicester at all for a wee while yet (and good on him for doing so).

Love Rafa but have a nagging doubt as to the wisdom of coming back, even if he was available, which he isn't and think he will want to prove a point where he currently is...and good on him for doing so too.

Rest of them would be an improvement on what we have had, even Lampard imo. But if not ten Hag then Fonseca/Emery and I would be delighted.

Edited by George Bailey

3 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Doesn't the subsequent failures of Arsenal put Wenger's 'unravelling' into a bit of context?

That's a fair point. You could argue though, that a bit like Ferguson, he left behind a really unbalanced squad.

Ferguson won the title with the sheer force of his personality, but then left a mess where he hadn't strengthened in key areas and almost the whole squad needed refreshing by the time he was done.

Likewise with Wenger, except he managed them into decline. Fine, he didn't have the resources Ferguson had, but he also did not strengthen in the right areas even when he had the funds to do so.

Certainly, every Arsenal fan I knew wanted him gone long before the end and he was given more than enough time, to my mind.

Great manager in his day, they played some of the best football you've seen, for a period, but think his time is past.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

For me the longer it takes the more I think it’s a currently employed manager they want.

This^^^^. I think fonseca is the fall back if the current club refuses to let us talk to the guy we want 

Absolutely vital they get the decision right, no problem at all with waiting for another 2 or 3 weeks if it means getting the one they want. Critical appointment and will decide the direction we're going to move in for the next 5+ years. Take your time, get it right, appoint them soon and back then in Jan. 

How much do people believe the "only looking for managers currently unemployed" line, or words to that effect? Seems like a silly thing to put out in public if you werent going to stick to it. Potentially a note to anyone who was interested but already employed to let them know we arent looking to pay millions more in compensation?

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar