Sven Botman

The Prophet

If Howe took the same viewpoint as a lot of our fans he wouldn't be here. He was the owners 2nd choice behind Emery.

Football is fickle. I've no problem with Botman preferring Milan but if that move doesn't materialise and he's also happy to come here I'd have him in a heartbeat.

He's fighting to be in the Dutch squad at the world cup, he'll want to prove himself capable of playing in the Premier League etc. If he signs for us it'll be because he wants to come and he'll have plenty of reasons to give the move his all.

We've just signed Targett but if we didn't and he went to Fulham (who were reportedly interested) I really doubt Fulham fans would care that we were his preferred club.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

31 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

If Howe took the same viewpoint as a lot of our fans he wouldn't be here. He was the owners 2nd choice behind Emery.

Football is fickle. I've no problem with Botman preferring Milan but if that move doesn't materialise and he's also happy to come here I'd have him in a heartbeat.

He's fighting to be in the Dutch squad at the world cup, he'll want to prove himself capable of playing in the Premier League etc. If he signs for us it'll be because he wants to come and he'll have plenty of reasons to give the move his all.

We've just signed Targett but if we didn't and he went to Fulham (who were reportedly interested) I really doubt Fulham fans would care that we were his preferred club.

That’s a fair point

Putting the shit patter aside, I'd be chuffed if we managed to get him, and same with Ekitike. We're clearly very, very sold on both of them and their age profile is exactly what we need.

I said it ages ago, but I do think that money will ultimately talk, and like with Bruno, he'll be making the correct long-term decision if he does decide to come here.

22 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Sounds like due to injuries, he'll be drafted into the full Netherlands squad for the games tomorrow and next week.

Means Wednesday at the earliest when he becomes free to do medicals.

26 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Was watching this yesterday and he does love a sliding tackle this lad.

Likes a sliding tackle, doesn't he?

I like the steely glare. He seems a strong-minded, decisive personality, which is important in a CB, and impressive in one that young. I think I can see why Howe wants him.

a song for if he doesnt come..

oohhhh botmans fucking tragic 

he wears a tragic hat

he could of signed for the mags

but he said no fuck that

he wants to play for maldini

in the famous san siro

and when he doesnt get a game 

we'll sing i told you so

ohhhhhh

Edited by Cookie1892

He looks a big strong lad. I hope those high lights aren’t his general game; sliding tackles usually suggest you’re either in the wrong position and have to adjust or you’re simply lacking a bit pace.

54 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Was watching this yesterday and he does love a sliding tackle this lad.

More importantly, he actually knows how to slide tackle. Really like how he looks to wrap his foot around the ball as he does so, and doesn't just fly in recklessly. 

He also really seems to do a good job of using the slide tackle to his advantage against quicker players in order to halt their progress earlier on, to prevent them from running away from him.

Really like the look of him. Big, strong, aggressive, and with some actual defensive skill when challenging for the ball.

Edited by KaKa

14 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

He looks a big strong lad. I hope those high lights aren’t his general game; sliding tackles usually suggest you’re either in the wrong position and have to adjust or you’re simply lacking a bit pace.

It's a very effective strategy if you actually know how to slide tackle and have good discipline and timing when doing so, which he appears to do.

Always surprises me how bad most players, defenders or otherwise, are at slide tackling.

Maldini: if I make a sliding tackle then I have already done something wrong before” 

Or similar. I like that quote. Nothing against Botman this, before people start blabbing their lips. 

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

It's a very effective strategy if you actually know how to slide tackle and have good discipline and timing when doing so, which he appears to do.

Always surprises me how bad most players, defenders or otherwise, are at slide tackling.

Generally depends on how quick the forward can change their feet position. He'll be up against seasoned PL strikers, he needs anticipation if he hasn't got recovery. Slide tackle is very Steven Taylor, who had to make them all the time due to lack of awareness and positioning. 

I'm not too fussed on Botman tbh. Think there are better options out there but if we get him then I'm sure we'll work on his flaws.

Totally agree with @Tsunami BTW. And from what we've seen and read  this is exactly whst kind of player he is. Can he adapt and up his game? 

Edited by Dokko

Just now, Ikon said:

Maldini: if I make a sliding tackle then I have already done something wrong before” 

Or similar. I like that quote. Nothing against Botman this, before people start blabbing their lips. 

Yeah, it's a great quote and Maldini was the ultimate defender.

However, I never really fully agreed with that quote. Always thought there was a place for the slide tackle, especially going against shorter quicker players when they've tried to go by you and you are running alongside them. Using your longer legs with a well timed tackle in that situation is very effective. All about timing though, it's a skill like any other.

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Also a sliding tackle could also be making up for someone else's error or good play by the attacker. Just as likely is a highlights vid of Woodgate style nudging onto possession  wouldn't get many views.

Not sure if I read it correctly but according to @AntoVitiello it sounds like Milan are after Bremer now instead. 

Ain’t happening that we sign 2 starting centre backs in this window but Botman and Bremer would be a tasty duo tbh. 

Edited by Ikon