More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, Kanji said:

Save and Cross stats for Pope are tremendous

He's a top goalie.

Burnleys problem last season was scoring ..  goal against for Burnley last season was pretty good.

I quite like Dubravka, I really do, and I defended him loads when he was getting shit last season but he's not as good as Pope.

Anyone thinking that Pope will come here to sit on the bench are off their tits. He would be our number 1.

Pope would be a sensible investment. Not too pricey, proven at PL level, provides much stiffer competition for Dubs who has had quite a few injuries in recent seasons.

Incremental improvements to the squad are just as important as bringing big names during the immediate term. We need depth too. 

Pope is better in some aspects, but just not significantly enough to justify spending cash on. As the backup, or moving one of them (between him and Dubs) to the no.2 spot, then fair enough, but I don’t think he offers enough of an improvement in all honesty. Both are mid table/average. At some point, we’d have to spend again to genuinely replace, and there’s no reason to not do that this summer if we feel like it needs doing. 

I really rate Pope, he put in some top performances towards the end of the season. 

We can work on his distribution, keep it simple. Let’s be honest even the best keeper distribution leads to a goal, the main thing is to retain possession and don’t put your defence under pressure. There’ll be loads of drills for that.

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Darlow plus a bit of cash, keeps overheads down. Or could flog Wood back to them and they could sell Weighorst to bridge the tv money drop off.

Wood & Darlow for Pope. 

BTW if a keeper starts passing it out of defence and his team is setup for the long distribution then ges getting dropped or the ball is coming back at him from defenders not comfortable on the ball. 

Same goes the other way. A keepers distribution is very tactical and not personal.

54 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

For £10m, Pope is acceptable. Not to replace Dubs though. We'll.need 2 decent keepers for the season. Dubs for the PL, Pope for the cups. Or when Dubs is out of form or injured. 

Darlow and Gillespie aren't going to be good enough in a season or two should we move forward to where we want to be.

Pope won’t go anywhere to sit on the bench for 80% of the season. He’s been starting every PL game for his club for the past 5 years, at his age he will have one more guaranteed big contract and in the back of his mind will also be thinking about England. If Pickford gets injured he may well be no. 1.

Edited by Nine

Interestingly, Pope has the same agent as JWP who we were linked with yesterday and perhaps more Interestingly the same agent as Dean Henderson.

Any chance that the papers know which agents we are talking to but don't know which players or even more likely that specific agencies are leaking stuff to the media.

Seems weird that we have been linked with 3 players from the same management recently.

Edit: Also Clark and Shelvey are part of the same management group. If there is a clause, we will know about it.

Edited by STM

Guest HTT II

I’d take Pope like, probably slightly better than Dubravka, but nothing much in it, I’d hope with a full pre-season Howe will be working on the distribution from the back anyway and they don’t have to launch it long, I’d rather we just played it simple out from the back, but for that we’d need a ball playing centre-back…

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’d take Pope like, probably slightly better than Dubravka, but nothing much in it, I’d hope with a full pre-season Howe will be working on the distribution from the back anyway and they don’t have to launch it long, I’d rather we just played it simple out from the back, but for that we’d need a ball playing centre-back…

I just look at it as we’d have two 7/10 keepers rather than a 7/10 and a 5/10. Regardless who plays we’ve got Premier League quality in there for the first time since Given/Harper probably. None of this Elliot/Darlow crap as number 2.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Guest HTT II
17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I just look at it as we’d have two 7/10 keepers rather than a 7/10 and a 5/10. Regardless who plays we’ve got Premier League quality in there for the first time since Given/Harper probably. None of this Elliot/Darlow crap as number 2.

Aye if we played with Darlow all season we likely go down!

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
Just now, NWMag said:

Apparently Aguerd failed to show for his West Ham medical this afternoon…

That’s bad crack if he initially Aguerd to it!