More transfer rumours

midds

52 minutes ago, Disco said:

A quick look tells us he played the equivalent of 18 full games across 3 competitions in that famous season. I agree he has something about him but trying to laud him as anything other than an impact sub who is somewhat versatile is laughable. Aim higher. 

He was 22 years old at the time. In that season he played 15 games on the right, and had 10 goals and 5 assists from those 15 games.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maxwel-cornet/leistungsdaten/spieler/234781/plus/0?saison=2018

I think he is far more than just an impact sub, but we'll see soon enough. I'm sure he'll get picked up by someone decent, and will get to show it.

Edited by KaKa

40 minutes ago, Disco said:

A quick look tells us he played the equivalent of 18 full games across 3 competitions in that famous season. I agree he has something about him but trying to laud him as anything other than an impact sub who is somewhat versatile is laughable. Aim higher. 

And who cares if he’s just an impact sub, a wild card - it’s £17.5m. He can be bought as well as rather than instead of.

it’s a 5 sub rule next season and versatility, cover and options will help a lot.  If we can take a gamble on wood then we can take a gamble on him.

We already have a a load of players we can't shift..we'll be wary about bringing in many more slight upgrades that probably won't be good enough in a season or two. 

In insolation it's not a bad deal I don't think but these 15-20m signings can soon add up and often you're just better off paying the extra for a higher quality player. You'd rather have a Diaby than a Cornet and Sarr. 

It looks like Cornet can play on both sides, but I'd be up for playing him left like at Burnley and switching ASM to the right.

If money is no object and there is no actual need to come up with combos of players to hit a certain budget, just get Diaby. And Paqueta too if he'll come.

Tbh Cornet and Dennis are both really good value at less than 20m each - given that next season is the 5 sub rule, may be wise to get rid of Murphy and Dummett and others and get cover like this in. One to cover ASM on left, one to cover Diaby on the right lol :) 

Dennis is actually a decent Ekitike alternative in that he can play RW and CF and has pace and is rangy. Don't think either would expect to start all the time but would be happy to provide competition for an increasingly talented squad. 

20M today shockingly is only like the equivalent of the 5-7m transfer of the 2000's. Like Scott Parker or Emre level we bought at the time. 

Kaka has a point on Cornet. It might seem like a lazy relegation clause signing at first glance but he can provide good quality depth in multiple areas for a fair price. 

I kept an eye on Ligue 1 in previous years so I remember Cornet since breaking through as a typical attacking winger under Bruno Genesio. He played regularly at a young age but I think most Lyon fans expected more mercurial quality from the attacking positions so he was held to a high standard that he couldn't quite lived up to. He continued to feature often on the wings of a front three under Rudy Garcia but with relatively low end product. In his last season at Lyon, Garcia switched him to LB in a 4-man defence and surprisingly Cornet made the position his own, although they didn't have any other reputable LBs at the time. I was very surprised when Dyche started playing him as a support striker right away, that was a good move for a PFM..

I don't think that Cornet has much potential to improve, he is one of those players who have suffered from being played all over the pitch. But he has shown that he's very adaptable and has featured heavily under some very tactically demanding managers and has always performed to a good level. This suggests strong character and professionalism. He also doesn't seem to have any fitness issues, has very good English and would see us a step up, so should be motivated to impress.

Haven't watched much of Cornet, but a guy that scored 9 in 26 for a poor Burnley in the PL at £17.5m and who can play in multiple positions seems like a no-brainer. 

I doubt there’ll be more links until we find out whether we can get Broja on loan for the season. Theoretically, that should free up the funds for a big move on Diaby.

If we can’t get that I’m fully expecting 2 smaller bids across those 2 positions.

36 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Saw something about Zapata being offered to us for 15 mill. No idea if true.

He had a bad injury - may have lost his explosiveness - plus he's 31. Perhaps a years loan with option to buy for 15m. 

For a fraction of the price to get in a player of the quality who is proven in the PL in a poor Burnley side and Ligue 1 where we pick up a lot of talent and arguably better than our wingers except ASM it’s a great signing. Also as spoken about before he can play anywhere across the front 3 and in behind the striker as well as LWB or LB it would be top business.

2 minutes ago, ToonScotman said:

For a fraction of the price to get in a player of the quality who is proven in the PL in a poor Burnley side and Ligue 1 where we pick up a lot of talent and arguably better than our wingers except ASM it’s a great signing. Also as spoken about before he can play anywhere across the front 3 and in behind the striker as well as LWB or LB it would be top business.

Are you his agent?

2 hours ago, junkhead said:

Kaka has a point on Cornet. It might seem like a lazy relegation clause signing at first glance but he can provide good quality depth in multiple areas for a fair price. 

I kept an eye on Ligue 1 in previous years so I remember Cornet since breaking through as a typical attacking winger under Bruno Genesio. He played regularly at a young age but I think most Lyon fans expected more mercurial quality from the attacking positions so he was held to a high standard that he couldn't quite lived up to. He continued to feature often on the wings of a front three under Rudy Garcia but with relatively low end product. In his last season at Lyon, Garcia switched him to LB in a 4-man defence and surprisingly Cornet made the position his own, although they didn't have any other reputable LBs at the time. I was very surprised when Dyche started playing him as a support striker right away, that was a good move for a PFM..

I don't think that Cornet has much potential to improve, he is one of those players who have suffered from being played all over the pitch. But he has shown that he's very adaptable and has featured heavily under some very tactically demanding managers and has always performed to a good level. This suggests strong character and professionalism. He also doesn't seem to have any fitness issues, has very good English and would see us a step up, so should be motivated to impress.

The funny thing is when you look at his career numbers, he's actually pretty much 1 in 2 for goal contributions (goal or assist) on either wing. Not too shabby at all.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maxwel-cornet/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/234781/plus/0?saison=&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

image.png.e16a03593934b63daf59f31a54493055.png