More transfer rumours

midds

:lol: I give up second guessing. What i will say is this; the players we are being linked with (and who are clearly at least being considered), aren't going to be cheap. Nunez, DCL, Toney might be different ranges of prices but none will be cheap.

I certainly think we will see a few periods of quietness during the summer, while we work out where the best deals are to be had. Apart from that, I'm convinced we will sign someone out of contract, probably Tarkowski but I'd love Erikson.

Just now, Nine said:

Its an absolute guessing game because it will just come down to which player is available for what (within reason) but I'd expect us to spend from anywhere around 100-150m including sales on the players like Hayden, Lewis and so on. 

As I've said time and time again, it wont just be clubs that will be trying to rip us off over transfer fees but players/agents as well.. they will be after big contracts and big bonuses - our wage expenditure will be just as important to keep in check as our transfer fees. 

Yeah agreed. For example, if Leeds stay up, I don't think we'll bother with any of their players, but if they go down we might throw our hat into the ring for Phillips and/or Raphinha.

Let's look at our potential 25 man squad again:

GK: Gillespie, New GK, Dubravka

RB: Trippier Krafth

CB: Schar, Lascelles, Burn, New CB

LB: Dummett, New LB

CM: Bruno, Shelvey, Joelinton, Joe Willock, Longstaff, New CM

RW: Fraser, New RW, Murphy (or Miggy)

LW: ASM, Anderson

ST: Wilson, Wood, New ST

Outs: Richie, Gayle, Lewis (Loan), Almiron (or murphy), Hayden, Clark, Fernandez, Manquillo, Matty Longstaff, Hendrick, Darlow.

This is as conservative as I can be: 6 signings required.

Other scenarios to consider:

Lascelles leaves.

Miggy and Murphy both stay.

Lewis stays as back up LB.

Anderson goes away on loan.

We sign a new number 1 and Dubravka also leaves.

Manquillo stays as back up left back.

So many things "could" happen this summer, its incredibly hard to predict but it's hard to see as situation where we don't need 6 New players. So Eddie is right when he says we need to get creative. Bosmans, loans, perhaps the odd over 30 player.

This is the summer to go big and by big I mean £150m on 5/6 signings. Then in the summers following you can look at gradual improvement with £60/70m spent on 2/3 players to improve the squad.

Even spending £150m this summer minus the £30m or so we can recoup on players wouldn't be that ridiculous given what we spent in January.

Also, I don't see Man Utd wanting to loan a direct rival Henderson. If we do really want him he'll cost a fair chunk of £40m and honestly I'd rather we spent that money elsewhere.

I’d say between £120-£175mil very large range in between but only reason so high is because we always get injuries so could see us dipping into the market late too or any potential big stars that come available that maybe weren’t before.

Get rid of the dead wood, maybe move on the likes of Almirón, Lascelles, Manquillo and maybe Lewis or Krafth depending on if we bring in a Hickey for example. 

Pacqueta - 50-60

Targett or Lodi - 15-20

Striker - 50 

CB - 30 

DM - 25

Free - Tarkowski

FWIW although we are saying we want gradual progression that initial period you must have a good go and spend a lot to get the squad Upto standard and the others like facilities etc. And I see it as a tactic of “we won’t have the pissed ripped out of us with money” by saying we have a small budget.

Edited by ToonScotman

Simple things like, if Dubravka is remaining our Number 1, we could get someone like Ben Forster (who is out of contract) as number 2. Or if we want Henderson as number 1, we could loan him for 12 months before paying 30m next summer, provided he plays X amount of games.

There are ways of tarting up the books and spreading costs over various years.

God I'm so looking forward to this summer.

First signing prediction? I'm going Tarkowski or Targett.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Simple things like, if Dubravka is remaining our Number 1, we could get someone like Ben Forster (who is out of contract) as number 2. Or if we want Henderson as number 1, we could loan him for 12 months before paying 30m next summer, provided he plays X amount of games.

There are ways of tarting up the books and spreading costs over various years.

God I'm so looking forward to this summer.

First signing prediction? I'm going Tarkowski or Targett.

Paqueta first in I think 

You can spend more, you just have to be clever in how deals are structured. We’ll be picked apart more than any other club in terms of FFP so all has to be above board.

The existing squad including Targett have shown they can mix it with pretty much every other side other than Liverpool and City, we might not win all those games but we’ll be competitive. Without any investment (aside from the Targett transfer?) that would easily put us in top 10 next season.

So what’s the goal?

15 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

It just doesn't add up to the project they've sold players like Bruno and the statements made when they first took over. They are loaded beyond belief and want us to challenge and take us to the top. We are spending big.

But we don't know what project was sold. From watching Bruno, on and off the pitch, I think he's more excited by his role in the project. We'll build a team around him and he'll be central to our progress. I reckon if we're challenging for European qualification he'll be content, even if we fall short at the last. He seems the kind of character that would be inspired to improve upon that.

2 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

But we don't know what project was sold. From watching Bruno, on and off the pitch, I think he's more excited by his role in the project. We'll build a team around him and he'll be central to our progress. I reckon if we're challenging for European qualification he'll be content, even if we fall short at the last. He seems the kind of character that would be inspired to improve upon that.

We do if his agent is to be believed, he was talking about qualifying for the champions league relatively quickly.

18 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

It just doesn't add up to the project they've sold players like Bruno and the statements made when they first took over. They are loaded beyond belief and want us to challenge and take us to the top. We are spending big.

Aye. Bruno has said several times he was sold on their vision to ultimately challenge the Champions League places, and even next season to challenge the top half, push for Europa League places. You can’t do that on a shoestring budget.
I agree with taking a measured approach, and not spending silly money though. If they’ve sold the likes of Bruno whoppers then he’ll soon want to move. 
I think it’ll be a sensible, pragmatic approach, and we won’t be doing it all in one summer window. Hopefully, this is what Howe means whilst also playing down selling clubs expectations on fees. 

35 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Barely any of the targets mentioned by the media make sense if a limited budget is to be believed.

Our budget for January was reported to be only £50m, there is clearly a big element of downplaying what we can/will spend. I doubt there is a budget as such, if the right deals for players we want are on the money will be there for them.

Edited by Jackie Broon