More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Love Howe but his recent quotes regarding the summer window and  upcoming season aren’t exactly inspirational.

- Not a huge war-chest; have to be creative with who we can buy.

- Improving bit by bit

- Hopeful of a good cup run.

- Premier League is very difficult, just want to improve

- Need to get new revenue streams

All sensible stuff tbf, but I guess I was more looking for kind of an ambitious statement of intent/ battle cry for the new season. Spending about 100m or less- which he seems to be intimating is the case- won’t see us making any significant progress imo. 

It’s partially about trying to keep prices down, also trying to manage the squad dynamics. 

As has been said before there’s a budget for squad building but if the right player is available at the right price we’ll do the deal. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

He ain’t going to come out and say yeah we are going to spend 200 million though is he ?

I also wouldn't be surprised if some of these comments are helping to set the stage for someone like ASM being sold under the guise of FFP.

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Love Howe but his recent quotes regarding the summer window and  upcoming season aren’t exactly inspirational.

- Improving bit by bit

All sensible stuff tbf, but I guess I was more looking for kind of an ambitious statement of intent/ battle cry for the new season. Spending about 100m or less- which he seems to be intimating is the case- won’t see us making any significant progress imo. 

He has to manage expectations. Don't get me wrong, I'm in the camp of people who think the talk of a somewhat more limited budget is partly an exercise in ensuring we minimize agents/other clubs trying to take advantage. But it's also has to be take somewhat seriously. Look at Everton. Do you want to end in a scenario a few seasons down the line unable to improve your squad because you fucked your FFP up.

I also think a spend of 100m will see sufficient progress made. It will mean almost £200m spent on the squad between the Jan and Summer windows. Alongside Howe (and his teams) coaching/preperation, I think 80-100m spent well this Summer could push up towards 8th/7th territory. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

He ain’t going to come out and say yeah we are going to spend 200 million though is he ?

Of course not :) but what he is doing is curtailing expectations of doing just that.

9 minutes ago, Flip said:

Bamford and Wilson battling it out seems like a decent option if it means we can spend more in other positions. I mean we’ll have to hope they’re not injured at the same time obviously.

Aye battling each other for the physios bench

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He keeps saying we aren't going to be spending a lot of money and we have to progress gradually, time and time again, and it's continually being dismissed as a negotiating tactic. It's been said so often now, that I think he's letting us all know exactly how it's going to be. There was a bit mentioned in one of the articles that we will eventually be able to spend more once commercial deals have been put in place.

I think they're all being very transparent about things, and people need to not get carried away expecting something different.

We didn't sign the likes of Bruno and Trippier with promises of tight budgets and creative transfer policies.  I think it's just being clever with the comms

5 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

It’s partially about trying to keep prices down, also trying to manage the squad dynamics. 

As has been said before there’s a budget for squad building but if the right player is available at the right price we’ll do the deal. 

Does pleading poverty keep prices down though? Clubs will have attached a value to their players anyway and then it’s down to negotiation and demand. I can understand this possibly working in January (as we were desperate) but not with a full summer window.

1 minute ago, 1964 said:

We didn't sign the likes of Bruno and Trippier with promises of tight budgets and creative transfer policies.  I think it's just being clever with the comms

Well it's not Mike Ashley so it won't be a completely paltry budget.

Still likely to be around the £60 million mark, with any money from sales added to that, at the very minimum, as I think that is what has been reported most often.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

He keeps saying we aren't going to be spending a lot of money and we have to progress gradually, time and time again, and it's continually being dismissed as a negotiating tactic. It's been said so often now, that I think he's letting us all know exactly how it's going to be. There was a bit mentioned in one of the articles that we will eventually be able to spend more once commercial deals have been put in place.

I think they're all being very transparent about things, and people need to not get carried away expecting something different.

Agree to a certain extent, but striker is our top priority, and any good striker will be 30 million minimum, that’s being conservative. I refuse to believe we aren’t going to massively strengthen the squad, and we aren’t doing that without a big window. As has been said before, Bruno hasn’t come here just to aim for top ten.

17 minutes ago, McCormick said:

- Improving bit by bit

I'd prefer if this was the route we took tbh. Gradual improvement through better commercial deals, improving infrastructure, smart transfer moves and growing the club organically within its own means sound like heaven compared to the Ashley years. 

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

This is where I’m at as well. Seems wishful thinking/ flying in the face of what all the noises coming out the club are saying to expect that we’ll be going ‘mental’ this summer.

I can see it being a spend of about £120m and we’ll recoup about £30m.

£120m should get us three or four players (Paqueta, Targett, Toney and Botman for example).

Then can see us looking at the loan/free market. Henderson and Eriksen etc

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

I'd prefer if this was the route we took tbh. Gradual improvement through better commercial deals, improving infrastructure, smart transfer moves and growing the club organically within its own means sound like heaven compared to the Ashley years. 

:lol: I’d be lying if I said I would prefer this to spending truckloads of cash on Europe’s elite prospects to drive us up the table asap.

However I agree that this is by far the more sensible approach.

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The reason he keeps saying it, is because he is continuously being asked the question by reporters. He can't suddenly change what he originally said. He mentions revenue and that is the key issue, as I fully expect that the increase of sponsorship/commercial deals, will be pretty significant and ongoing moving forward.

Edited by et tu brute

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agree to a certain extent, but striker is our top priority, and any good striker will be 30 million minimum, that’s being conservative. I refuse to believe we aren’t going to massively strengthen the squad, and we aren’t doing that without a big window. As has been said before, Bruno hasn’t come here just to aim for top ten.

There's a chance we are going to be signing a number of free agents or players whose contracts are going into the last year, and so be able to get a lot more value out of the budget.

Then again, it might also be the case that, they are looking at this whole thing slightly differently. And the budget they are talking about is only taking into account how much is paid out this summer, rather than looking at the total sum. For example one of the articles in the Athletic reported that Bruno's fee is being paid out over his whole contract, and so we're paying £8 million a year. And so if we do a similar deal to that this summer, it may be that it  is considered as just £8 million from the summer budget.

Just now, KaKa said:

There's a chance we are going to be signing a number of free agents or players whose contracts are going into the last year, and so be able to get a lot more value out of the budget.

Then again, it might also be the case that, they are looking at this whole thing slightly differently. And the budget they are talking about is only taking into account how much is paid out this summer, rather than looking at the total sum. For example one of the articles in the Athletic reported that Bruno's fee is being paid out over his whole contract, and so we're paying £8 million a year. And so if we do a similar deal to that this summer, it may be that it  is considered as just £8 million from the summer budget.

I’m excited either way tbh, and agree the free and loan market should be exploited 

Just now, bowlingcrofty said:

I can see it being a spend of about £120m and we’ll recoup about £30m.

£120m should get us three or four players (Paqueta, Targett, Toney and Botman for example).

Then can see us looking at the loan/free market. Henderson and Eriksen etc

My prediction is £90 million ish spend (net)

Paquetta -50 million ?

Decent centre half 25 mill 

Young forward as back up to Wilson 30 mill 

Targett 15 million 

total 110 - 120 million 

As well as one loan (maybe keeper)

sell about 20 - 30 million 

ritchie 3 mill ?

clarke 3 mill 

fernandez free 

gayle 5 mill 

darlow 5 mill 

murphy 7 mill ?

manquillo 4 mill ?

also wouldn’t be surprised to see one of these go (not all….but potentially if the right offer comes in)

lascelles 

maxi 

almiron 

lewis 

Its an absolute guessing game because it will just come down to which player is available for what (within reason) but I'd expect us to spend from anywhere around 100-150m including sales on the players like Hayden, Lewis and so on. 

As I've said time and time again, it wont just be clubs that will be trying to rip us off over transfer fees but players/agents as well.. they will be after big contracts and big bonuses - our wage expenditure will be just as important to keep in check as our transfer fees.