Dan Burn

Rich

59 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Didn't Burn play CB the entire first half season under Howe with Targett at LB? He was excellent then in my memory.

It seems crazy a couple of poor games this season and suddenly he's incapable of playing there for some.

Totally agree 

• 2 weeks later...

Very good tonight. Hall was understandably a bit shaky at times defensively, I thought. Schar didn’t do too well with the physical stuff. The less said about Krafth, the better. 

Burn held them all together. Countless clearances, headers and covering tackles. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Amazing what happens when you play players in their actual positions. I’d genuinely started to dislike Dan Burn because of his nightmare performances at LB but he was top drawer tonight, absolute warrior! 

Fair play, man of the match tonight. I thought he looked a lot happier in himself there, doing what he knows he's good at rather than having to put blood, sweat and tears into semi-humiliating himself at left back.

Motm tonight and I'm not exactly his biggest fan. Shut down so much and was pretty solid throughout. He had too much of the ball when Dummett came on though, not his fault but Paully D was just too scared to play the ball forward.

Pleased for him that he put a performance like that in. Against sides that can’t run us off the pitch with sprints he’s clearly a quality defender. He’s less likely to face sprint runs at CB as well so hopefully we see him remain there over LB 

10 hours ago, Holmesy said:

Amazing what happens when you play players in their actual positions. 

:lol: Howe must be absolutely clueless, like. 

Burn's never played out of position for us; he spent most of his career as a LCB but trains as a LB and has played almost exclusively as a LB for two seasons. That's just the modern game. 

Love Burn, remains one of my favourite ever players. Fucking rubbish that he couldn't have his fifth goal of the season (or sixth, if you count the equally harsh case at Anfield).

40 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: Howe must be absolutely clueless, like. 

Burn's never played out of position for us; he spent most of his career as a LCB but trains as a LB and has played almost exclusively as a LB for two seasons. That's just the modern game. 

Love Burn, remains one of my favourite ever players. Fucking rubbish that he couldn't have his fifth goal of the season (or sixth, if you count the equally harsh case at Anfield).

People forget he played plenty games for Brighton at left back. Pretty sure he played as a left wing back in a 5 against us a few years ago for them as well

Edited by jack j

11 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Really good tonight. The tussling with Branthwaithe from corners was annoying but defensively great. 

Yep, was comical at times. But suspect Dan could (did) teach him a thing or two about that side of the game. 

35 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Yep, was comical at times. But suspect Dan could (did) teach him a thing or two about that side of the game. 

However, could Dan not have done an "Ashley Young" and thrown himself to the floor?  I hate cheating but VAR could have looked at least four of those corners involving Branthwaite.

He was superb at CB, where his aerial prowess comes to the fore and his lack of pace isn't exposed so much. Dan could extend his career by playing right there for the next few years. It also allows the Hall to get minutes, which is an added bonus 

The Schar and Botman partnership was unreal just after the takeover.

Think he was always meant to be a rotation option at centre back, however Targett being a crock, and missing out on left back targets meant he ended up at left back.

With Botman being out so long, going to be very useful having him back at CB.