Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Exactly what we needed. Nothing flashy but just solid left back who is going to allow ASM to use all his energy in attacking. Shame he's out of villa game but he's going to be massive for the rest of the season. Well played lad. 

He was very calm and composed. There was a moment in the second half when he nutted a big header back to Dubravka; just a little thing, but kinda summed him up I thought. Earlier in the season we'd have seen someone probably trying to bring that down and then not know what to do with it whilst being pressed, or knock it first time to a teammate in a difficult position. But just confidently batted it back to the goalie despite it being quite a long way. 

First 10 minutes or so I got Danny Simpson vibes from him in that he appeared solid enough defensively but just punted the ball aimlessly in the general direction of Wood. Then he really grew into the game with some nice tackles, interceptions, won all (?) air duels, good crosses and general neat passing. If it weren't for Trippier and ASM he'd be my MOM today.

Edited by Conjo

15 minutes ago, gdm said:

I love that. You can tell he probably got a nose bleed or at least cold sweats when he somehow found himself in the murky world of the centre circle before returning to the familiar, safe, left hand side. Can never be further than ten yards from the touchline. 

8 minutes ago, jack j said:

Cult hero in the making

Definitely. I was not expecting to like him so much, was a bit underwhelmed with the signing, but after seeing him live, this lad is made for us. We might get an upgrade in the summer, but will have to be a bloody good player.

Feel like the "solid 7/10" posts are harsh, he was that good. Need to calm down a bit with his punts down the touch line, but compensated it by being nearly 10/10 in defence. 

Digne is clearly the better player, but Target is exactly what we needed this season. Thanks Rafa for making him available for us :smitten: