Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

I don't want to sound heartless here as it's awful, but what is the club supposed to do? They can't have their academy full of kids that aren't good enough. It's a job and a business at the end of the day.

Genuine question by the way. If the lad wasn't good enough, what do the club do?

Provide kids with alternative routes into the game, coaching, fitness, scouting, finding other clubs, network with other clubs more, seriously you’re not being harsh but it’s basic duty of care stuff and if a kid is willing to commit so many years of his life to a club, look after them when he’s inevitably not going to make it, and if he hasn’t made it, why, what more can be done, seriously most academy kids are there to make up the numbers because they need that one star player or two who do stand out to have a team to play in, likes of NUFC end up regressing the one or two star player by focusing on developing them at the detriment of others which in turn becomes detrimental to everyone, stars included, it’s a fucking joke.

I'd say the kid was upset at not realising his dream of becoming a footballer. I doubt he wanted any of the other routes into the game. It's a super tricky situation for clubs to try and manage correctly.

That's where expectations need to be managed, but also remembering that even at 17 they're still kids. At the moment you have Academies offering parents jobs for them to move across the country so their 6 year old can be in their academy. This happened with Shola Shoretire who was at Newcastle, his dad was given a job by Man City as a 'scout', so they could move to Manchester. Kid went into Man City's academy and is now at Man U. Unsure what happened in between.

Granted the kid might love football, but man, football isn't treating them as a kid. It's basically investment/property.

Imagine being told during your last year or two "You're not strong enough. You're not fast enough. You're not tall enough." You're 15/16.

It's disgusting.

Guest Howaythetoon

That's where expectations need to be managed, but also remembering that even at 17 they're still kids. At the moment you have Academies offering parents jobs for them to move across the country so their 6 year old can be in their academy. This happened with Shola Shoretire who was at Newcastle, his dad was given a job by Man City as a 'scout', so they could move to Manchester. Kid went into Man City's academy and is now at Man U. Unsure what happened in between.

Granted the kid might love football, but man, football isn't treating them as a kid. It's basically investment/property.

Imagine being told during your last year or two "You're not strong enough. You're not fast enough. You're not tall enough." You're 15/16.

It's disgusting.

This :thup:

Especially for clubs of Man City's stature, would it be at all helpful to set up some links with nearby clubs a few rungs down the ladder for released youngsters to get trials? At the very least, it could help prevent them from feeling like they're not instantly falling in to obscurity?

I'd imagine there'd be a fair whack of clubs who would be happy for a streamlined process allowing them to take a look at players that have come through a Premier League academy?

That being said, I've never had any actual involvement in the game so this could either already be a thing at many clubs that I've just not heard about, or just plain impractical.

Either way it sounds like a better support system should be in place. While Froggy's not wrong in that it is a business for football clubs, it's built on hyping and then crushing the dreams of what will obviously be easily-swayed children/teenagers. Clubs should bear a lot more responsibility than it sounds like they do for the massive influence they have in in a not-insignificant number of young men's formative years.

What about something like subsidising and putting players in touch with a mental health professional at the point they're informed they're being let go? Support networks to help them begin to look at other avenues of work?

Again, I'm sure Froggy's right that for a lot of players like poor Jeremy Wisten they just wanted to play football and didn't care about other potential roles in the sport. But maybe if there were trained mental health professionals on hand, that may not have been his frame of mind?

There's a remarkable lack of regulation. What other industry could get away with training children for a job from the age, sometimes, of 5 or 6, right through to 18-19 and then tell the vast vast majority of them "sorry, we've no job for you after all, on your bike"?

Sure there'll be some level headed ones in there who'll realise that they're unlikely to make it and focus heavily still on their education but there's no way that makes up the majority. Most will just have their entire world pulled from under their feet.

I really hope the European Super League happens, I don't understand who actually wants it (have they asked fans) it feels like a terrible idea and all the super rich arsehole clubs are going to fuck off up their own arses.

Guest neesy111

Seems to have announced the Euro Super League on his way out  :lol:

:lol:

This will be his way of saying he's guaranteed their financial future. 

Knew he was on Songs of Praise, but didn't realise that Gavin Peacock was now a pastor at some loopy Canadian church that is particularly big on "traditional gender roles", heading their Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood and getting angry at the term "We're pregnant".  He also has some books out, although it's hardly the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

SQgRiQa.jpg

Guest neesy111

There's big rumours down here that Southend United will be wound up today.

Have a few Southend fans who play for me, one very well connected with the club and he's in bits.

Ahh man, such a shame.  Remember going to Roots Hall in 1996 for a friendly vs Spurs.