Alexander Isak

Disco

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Too early to say his heading may not be one of his strong points?

Was hard to get any power on that tonight bf. He started making a run to the front post anticipating Trippier crossing it on the deck first time but he took a couple more touches and by the time the cross come in he was probably underneath the trajectory of the ball. Hard to get any power on that.

Probably should've scored v Sheff Wed mind, though that header probably still beats the keeper more times and not given the bounce. 

1 hour ago, IzzyIsak said:

It's time for Isak to be the main man now, i reckon Eddie will think so aswell.

Isak will start both cup games, and probably against West Ham.

Wilson is a great back up if he's fit.

This. Wilson has been well off the boil since the WC.

9 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, he does things Wilson can't do, and I can't think of anything vice versa.

This is the thing for me.

Is there anything Wilson can do significantly better? Shithousing aside.

Also, it's time we gave Isak a run of games.

Wilson is the better player back to goal and trying to work the CB’s in 50/50’s or in the air, I reckon. 

He has looked a bit poor at that of late, mind. Last night he was constantly losing it under minimal pressure. Bar a really good second half against Leicester (I think?) plus some decent moments against Fulham. 

I think it’s fair to say we’ve been figured out with our 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation.

The 20 minutes against Fulham with the two of them was great. I don’t see why we can’t try that - it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

3 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I think it’s fair to say we’ve been figured out with our 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation.

The 20 minutes against Fulham with the two of them was great. I don’t see why we can’t try that - it doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Might see it against West Ham maybe. They’ll almost certainly play with a low block and hope to hit us on the counter or nick one with Ings.  

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, he does things Wilson can't do, and I can't think of anything vice versa.

Wilson can play with his back to goal. So far, Isak can’t. He might be able to in time but right now, no.

I think both can play together and it can almost be like a when 352 in possession. Would give opposition something else to think about, especially if he makes defenders think twice about where Wilson is.

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

You could argue that Wilson is stronger and can physically dominate defenders better with his hold-up play but Isak doesn’t need to do that as his technique means he can find space anyway

Yep, he can. But hasn’t been. Maybe it is just who he has been up against recently. 

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Wilson can play with his back to goal. So far, Isak can’t. He might be able to in time but right now, no.

I just don't agree there. Isak is better at holding the ball up than his physique would suggest, and Wilson has looked rather sluggish recently and defenders are nipping in ahead of him.

Isak shows an ability to receive under pressure and somehow end up taking the ball forward. With Wilson now, that only happens occasionally. As far as creativity is concerned, there's no contest.

Wilson's main strength is finishing within the penalty box, but in reality I think Isak matches him there as well.

I don't think Howe is going to want to change formation against Southampton, but the case now seems clear to reverse roles, with Isak starting and Wilson coming on as sub.

30 minutes ago, buzza said:

I love the way Isak slows down slightly, waits for the defender to slow anlittle then hits the turbos… really seems to glide past them.

Elegant footballer!

Wouldn't say he's rapid but as you say, has a very calm nonchalant look about him.

He then just powers away to gain a yard on the defender. So excited to see a bit more of him.