Newcastle United 1-0 Fulham (15/01/2023)

HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

Did they have a shot on goal? Don’t remember one.

No. The Mitro failed pen doesn't count as one. Yet again we've played 90 minutes without even conceding a shot on goal.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

It was a frustrating game again for the most part, but a few spells aside, I think people are overrating Fulham's performance like. I don't think Pope made a save? :dontknow:

They were tidy enough but it was a similar performance to Leeds from them, just defensively a bit more leaky. 

We made the game closer than it should have been by being a bit wasteful in the final third. 

This pretty much.

Fulham came to try and see the game out by slowing it down. They managed to make it scrappy in parts, our quality was beginning to show when Bruno got injured. There was a spell in the 2nd half where we had adjusted to having Bruno off and looked like scoring again, then the penalty decisions happaned. That slowed the game down a bit and it took us a little while to get going again.

Fulhan didn’t do anything that I wouldn’t expect from a mid table team coming for a point.

Edited by Stifler

Just now, CFlan said:

How worried are you about Bruno? Not the injury but the fact he was crying in public. Can’t trust a “man” like that in our engine room. 

He was crying because he was that disappointed he would have to come off and couldn't help his team. He's a man of great character.

Just to be clear, if anyone says Longstaff was poor today them I'm sorry but your wrong. Without him our midfield may have collapsed today.

Ratings:

Pope 7 Top shithousery for the pen, nowt to do otherwise.

Trippier 5 Poorest game for us, still love him

Schar 7 Really tried to drive us forward

Botman 7 Solid as usual

Burn 6 Was done a few times

Willock 6 One of his quieter days

Bruno 7 Come back sweet Prince

Longstaff 8 Man of the Match, tireless and got the key pass

Joelinton 8 In great form

Wilson 7 Still not in form but got the assist

Almiron 7 Bright enough

Isak 8 Scored. 3 in 4. Lush

Thanks to the ghost of Rafa tickling Mitros leg and making him slip.

Some epic defending from Fulham and some soft finishing (wilson) certainly made this closer than it should have been. Fulham played well and are a decent side.

Hopefully Bruno isn't out long, likewise hope we bring someone in soon. Hopefully two starters, at least one to the midfield. 

Big boost for Isak and the squad as a whole to grind out the win. We need to keep that mentality.

We still deserved the win and it should have been more comfortable.

The penalty wasn’t a penalty and I don’t understand why VAR makes the referee look at that when he saw it fine first time and didn’t think it was. You can’t then go and look at the replay without taking in the whole action into account (which was a foul on Trippier first). That’s the same poor review process just like the Willock incident against Palace 

2 minutes ago, Donut said:

No. The Mitro failed pen doesn't count as one. Yet again we've played 90 minutes without even conceding a shot on goal.

That’s clean sheets in the last five league games. 11 of 19 games have been clean sheets. Incredible.

1 minute ago, STM said:

Just to be clear, if anyone says Longstaff was poor today them I'm sorry but your wrong. Without him our midfield may have collapsed today.

Ratings:

Botman 7 Solid as usual

Almiron 7 Bright enough

Yeah thought Sean looked very decent today; really purposeful with his distribution.

15 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You though that was very poor?!!! My goodness ... think some people aren't realising what Fulham are doing this season, you should try and catch some of their other games.

I get that, its taking no credit away from them, Ream and Diop were very good. I feel we were very flat, probably deserved to edge it but we've battered better opposition than Fulham.

Huge result, even if it owed a wee bit to a rub of the green (for the pen) This version of NUFC always keep at it - great spirit, even when they aren't playing well. :)

MoM for me was Big Jo. He was everywhere - after owing everyone a performance.

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Yeah thought Sean looked very decent today; really purposeful with his distribution.

He was definitely much better at releasing the ball, think his general passing is improving so it’s mainly about his shooting now 

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Ratings:

Botman 7 Solid as usual

Almiron 7 Bright enough

totally agree on Longstaff. someone earlier gave him a 5.5 lol....seems the lad cant do anything right. Other than the usual sky high shot his movement. tackling and off the ball running was one of the highlights today. credit where due.

3 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Longstaff amd Willock always run themselves into the ground, and they are both good athletes. But they aren't top four class and it shows at times. Not a criticism, just looking ahead to where we are going with this team.

Players like Longstaff are still trying to build trust with the fans. I think it's high time he's given a break.

We know he lacks quality but he's our engine man and we've had plenty of years of heartless fuckers in there.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Longstaff amd Willock always run themselves into the ground, and they are both good athletes. But they aren't top four class and it shows at times. Not a criticism, just looking ahead to where we are going with this team.

The key is finding quality who also buy into the work ethic.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

They are top 4 right now :), I agree to an extend but he had a great game today.