Anthony Gordon

Jack27

He maybe aired on the side of caution a bit but it thought he looked quite good in possession yesterday. He picks it up and releases it and gets on the move again all really quickly. Too many of our players are slow or sloppy in possession. 

Think he's shown enough positive signs in his limited time so far. Want to see him, Isak and ASM get a run together now. That could potentially be a quite fluid and fast front 3. 

Wilson being in shit form has the knock on effect of other players who've basically put it on a plate for him being questioned too.

He has 2 assists by rights and everyone's happy with his start here.

Edited by Kid Icarus

He's got scope for rapid, tight interplay with similar teammates, followed on by direct bursts into dangerous areas. Would be very effective when trying to break down a low block as and when we're drilled and competent to do those things. As it is, too many aren't on the right wavelength.

19 hours ago, Conjo said:

Seems to be playing exactly like he was for Everton to me.

At Everton, there was clear pressure on him to be the main man and make things happen, like ASM under Bruce. Now he's a cog in the Howe system. This may sound bad, but is the way it should be if a manager is doing his job and not just dialing it in like Captain Steakbakes.

In the Merseyside derby last year, Gordon beat his man a couple of times early doors and spent the rest of the game being fouled. Liverpool were terrified of him getting in behind. Gordon is apparently the second fastest sprinter in the league. Give him opportunities and I'm sure we'll get to see what that means.

Gordon's been at Newcastle for only a short period and in that time he's mostly been bit part.

He's shown some good play when he's been called into action and you can see the quality is there.

He needs time to get fully up to speed with Howe's training methods and also the blend into the match day system.

Patience is the key here and I think he'll start showing why he was bought in these remaining 14 games.

On 05/03/2023 at 21:21, Gallowgate Toon said:

MOTD lot were praising him. I wouldn't go that far but watching back he played a part in our good moments in the first half. Really impressive acceleration for the mishit opening, like.

He's shown a nice first touch in short time here too.

Whenever I watch highlights back. I notice how crisp his passing inside often is. He receives it on the half turn all the while and is really good at drifting in off just a touch or two. 

All that said and still factoring in that he was playing against Walker. I thought he was too safe and playing it backwards a lot of the time against City. 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Whenever I watch highlights back. I notice how crisp his passing inside often is. He receives it on the half turn all the while and is really good at drifting in off just a touch or two. 

All that said and still factoring in that he was playing against Walker. I thought he was too safe and playing it backwards a lot of the time against City. 

I don't see this at all. Do you have any examples? Youtube clips etc.

Genuinely I may have missed it.

I think Isak is often picking up the ball on the half turn. Buys himself an extra yard of space when he has the ball so he can turn forward and sustain an attack.

Gordon I see him get the ball square on, one touch square or back into midfield or defence. That's why I felt he was poor at AM, he was just getting the ball square on and passing backwards or sideways. That's why I like Isak at 10 or as a fluid modern forward, almost false 9 type. He consistently gets the ball on the turn, lovely balance, acceleration. Can eliminate players in a simple move.

1 minute ago, Jack27 said:

what's with our injury luck?

I mean, looking at our first team squad is he the only player unavailable today due to injury?

You're always gonna have a couple of players out with knocks, our problem is that we have absolutely no depth so it's far more noticeable for us when one or two are out.

Seems like the whole tribe went down. Krafth, Ashby, Karius and others too. Good stuff. Seems like Gordon is settling in well judging by the scenes as the players came off the pitch.

Just now, 80 said:

Seems like the whole tribe went down. Krafth, Ashby, Karius and others too. Good stuff. Seems like Gordon is settling in well judging by the scenes as the players came off the pitch.

Good night out Nottingham

Gordon might score if the old 6-1 women to men ratio is still kicking about

Don't think Karius will struggle  much like