Newcastle United 2-1 Southampton - Tell me Ma, me Ma, I won't be home for tea... (31/01/2023)

Disco

1 minute ago, jack j said:

Sad state of affairs when trippier and Burn were having to gee the crowd up with 5 mins to go

Atmosphere was fucking shite again

No excuses

Dunno why you expected any different.  

Really odd game, as has been said. The pull back goal seemed to give us the jitters and we were content to sit in and manage it out from there. Probably sensible. We were taking the sting out very early on in the second half with slow walks to get the ball etc. Would've preferred we came out as we did in the first and try to blitz it but who gives a fuck, we're in a final!

Just now, Chicken Dancer said:

Was bouncing then when they scored completely flat. Think everyone was nervous, despite the lead. I agree though, no excuse. 

Was not nervous. Just unless we score people don't do much signing.

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

Was surprised how flat it was. Even at 1 & 2 nil it seemed very flat 

Never any jeopardy in the game IMO. Went into it 1-0 up, clearly the best team, 2-0 up. Even their goal was a freak wonder strike and they were still 2 goals out of it. They never threatened. It's just the way it goes when you're so clearly in the driving seat.

Edited by Dr Venkman

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

For all their pressure they created nothing after the goal. We may not always play well but we fucking do not concede chances. 

feel a bit emotionally burnt out after that .

Harsh on Nick Pope.

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

For all their pressure they created nothing after the goal. We may not always play well but we fucking do not concede chances. 

feel a bit emotionally burnt out after that .

They did have that 1 chance, but apart from that, no nothing.

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Because it was a semi final of a cup. But aye you're right. Just the norm thesedays

Think there's still a large element of the more vocal support being kept out since giving up season-tickets in protest of Ashley, and a large section of fans who were happy to go along with those days still occupying those seats.

8 minutes ago, gdm said:

Was surprised how flat it was. Even at 1 & 2 nil it seemed very flat 

Atmos are more likely to go flat when the game is in the bag and you feel not needed and especially against a team so far beneath you. Was pretty anti-climactic once 2-0/3-0 up. Have to admit I felt it was won then and lost any tension at my end, got interesting again when Bruno was sent-off an things picked up again.

The atmosphere at Old Trafford tomorrow will emphasise that.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Just now, The Prophet said:

Hard to tell whether the drop in intensity in the second half was tactical or tiredness/nerves.

To me it looked in part a tactical move just to play on the counter. But we were also very poor as well.

Do wonder if we might be jumping the shark a bit with the atmosphere stuff with a random DJ playing club music half an hour before kick off and the PA guy reading out poetry in a couple of recent games

Just let it build naturally with the flags and stuff it will be fine

Got back home and just finished watching the second half. What the hell happened to Bruno? That was for sure a straight red. That is not what was needed.

Tripps and Schar tried to calm him down and then he gets tossed off the pitch. Hope this is a learning experience for him. That was terrible.

29 minutes ago, Shak said:

Christ I'm gonna be an absolute mess for the final, honestly a bit worried about it.

I feel relaxed about it, like the worst is over. I would have hated to lose against Southampton in the semi, who overall were pretty crap. They will go down.

In three of the four finals that we've been in since 1969, we've been really crap. Really, really crap. But now we're not going to be crap, and assuming the game will be against Man U, the pressure will be off. Keep the faith.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Hard to tell whether the drop in intensity in the second half was tactical or tiredness/nerves.

Seemed like a plan to try and keep things calm first 10 mins of the half and then bring the subs on to catch on the break. Sub performances were odd though, almost lacking in intensity.