Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

What an article about him on the Observer  :love:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/mar/31/newcastle-united-hatem-ben-arfa?

Newcastle United put Ben Arfa in mood to make up for all the lost time

Frenchman with a turbulent past seems changed by new-found happiness. But he warns: 'I'll always be different'

It is rare that a 25-year-old who has won a European Championship, five league titles and two domestic cups can be described as an underachiever. Yet such is Hatem Ben Arfa's talent that despite those prizes there is a sense – shared by the player himself – that he has yet to fulfil his potential. Recent performances for Newcastle United – notably his bravura display against West Brom last Sunday – have ignited hopes that he may have finally put his problems behind him and is about to take off on Tyneside.

When France won the Under-17 European Championship in 2004, Ben Arfa was widely hailed as the best player in an extraordinary team that featured Samir Nasri and Karim Benzema. But even before then he had been identified as a turbulent character, as two years earlier a documentary team filming French training at Clairefontaine caught, on tape, Ben Arfa, a scholar there since the age of 12, fighting with his team-mate Abou Diaby, now of Arsenal.

He made his Ligue 1 debut for Lyon in 2004 and went on to win four titles with the club but never became a stalwart, his inconsistency infuriating a succession of managers, notably Gérard Houllier with whom he regularly argued. He clashed with team-mates, too, and ultimately with the club's owner, Jean-Michel Aulas. Lyon eventually had enough and, in 2008, accepted a bid from bitter rivals Marseille. Ben Arfa could hardly have left Lyon on less amicable terms, with the club and the player publicly trading jibes for weeks afterwards – the most memorable exchange being when Ben Arfa accused Lyon of being "financially disorganised" and Lyon responded by revealing that when they cleared out Ben Arfa's locker at their training ground they found that he had absent-mindedly left behind a cheque for €90,000.

After a scorching start to his Marseille career his flame dimmed to the point that Eric Gerets dropped him. Ben Arfa seethed. And his relationship with the manager blew up when Ben Arfa refused to come off the bench in the derby against Paris St-Germain. He later apologised but his dispute with the club went on for weeks, during which he did not train.

The following season brought a new manager, Didier Deschamps, but more mishaps, as flashes of brilliance were followed by flashes of, well, flashness: in one match his entrance off the bench was delayed because he struggled to remove his gold chain; in another because he was wearing the wrong jersey. The player said that he was unhappy and searching for his identity. In the second half of the season he found it, on the pitch at least, as he produced his best performance for Marseille and hinted at a new maturity in his game, adding efficient decision-making to his magical dribbling and shooting. Marseille won the league.

Still, all was not well in Ben Arfa's world. His father, the former Tunisia international Kamel Ben Arfa, went public to express his concern for his son's lifestyle and the perceived negative influence of his agent. Ben Arfa Jr says that at one point he was on the verge of giving up sport to join a religious cult.

His transfer to Newcastle in 2010, initially on loan, represented a shot at a renaissance. He began well and earned a recall to the France senior team, only for a tackle from Manchester City's Nigel de Jong in October 2010 to leave him with a broken leg. His recuperation clearly went well, both physically and mentally. In an interview with France Football last month Ben Arfa said that he has finally found inner peace. "I know I have an image of being arrogant and only shining when I want to, but it's not 'when I want to', it's when I can," he explains.

"In the past I wasn't able to because I was unhappy. But I'm still aiming for the same thing that I always have: to be the best. I'll never be like others and that's the way I want it. I've always tried to show what makes me different. I'm not interested in going on to the pitch and making pointless two-metre passes like some players do – so I have to accept that people are going to be more demanding of me." He is demanding on himself, too: "Check me out in three or four years. I can see myself being at the very top then, maybe winning the World Cup in Brazil or the Ballon d'Or. I still have lots of dreams."

As good as he is playing right now, I really feel that he can get even better. With experience, training his position and decision-making he can be an incredible player with the ability he has.

With every game he's getting tidier, more consistent and just more fucking amazing. I'm trying to calm myself though, because I want to see him as a regular in our team for years to come.

Ripped Jose a new one in the first half. Rose to the occasion like a champ. I really hope he gets a call up to France fopr the Euros because a happy ben Arfa is gong to be better for us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Pardew cannot be unhappy with him now, he played really well today, not as exciting and as explosive as away to West Brom, but a very consistent and hard working effort with spashes of his briliance when needed resulting in 2 goals for Cisse. He has proved he is not a liability even against the better sides or so called bigger sides/clubs. He could well be sensational for us next season.