The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

Just now, Froggy said:

He's in control of everything. Full control over signings. All of our top sources suggested he wouldn't take the job unless given those assurances. 

Adds a level of extra risk in then as he didn’t really have that at Ajax but then regardless he’d do very well to do worse than anyone has done recently at Man Utd.

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

He's in control of everything. Full control over signings. All of our top sources suggested he wouldn't take the job unless given those assurances. 

From the outside looking in, it feels like it needs a complete overhaul of the coaching set up, assume he’s allowed to bring in his own people ?

3 minutes ago, Disco said:

Adds a level of extra risk in then as he didn’t really have that at Ajax but then regardless he’d do very well to do worse than anyone has done recently at Man Utd.

Well Ole finished second last year. :lol: if he gets anywhere near second next season we'll be delighted. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

From the outside looking in, it feels like it needs a complete overhaul of the coaching set up, assume he’s allowed to bring in his own people ?

Yeah and that's currently being negotiated. It's going to be his setup completely. Phelan has already been told he's gone in the summer. 

Just now, Froggy said:

Yeah and that's currently being negotiated. It's going to be his setup completely. Phelan has already been told he's gone in the summer. 

That’s a massive step forward immediately.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

Well Ole finished second last year. :lol: if he gets anywhere near second next season we'll be delighted. 

Meant in player acquisition and sacking off.

31 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I have zero faith in the recruitment but we'll see how it goes. 

What has seemingly been lost that brought Man United previous dominance is the youth system and the development of players through the ranks. One aspect that hasn't been replicated since SAF left the game.

7 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

What has seemingly been lost that brought Man United previous dominance is the youth system and the development of players through the ranks. One aspect that hasn't been replicated since SAF left the game.

Nah. Fergie got lucky with the class of '92. We've had some really great youth come through since he retired. That's probably the only thing about Fergie that is overrated. 

Just now, Froggy said:

Nah. Fergie got lucky with the class of '92. We've had some really great youth come through since he retired. That's probably the only thing about Fergie that is overrated. 

I honestly haven't paid much attention, just seemed anecdotally to be the case. Rashford, Greenwood and Lingard are all I can think of who have been through the ranks. 

5 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

I honestly haven't paid much attention, just seemed anecdotally to be the case. Rashford, Greenwood and Lingard are all I can think of who have been through the ranks. 

McTominay ?

2 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Poch was the boy for them I feel.

A few bad results and people will doubt Ten Hag, pressure will build, where Poch has a bit of money in the bank a would get more slack - and times what's probably needed there.

There again OGS wasn't a manager at all so must surely be an improvement, if given time.

I don't think so. While Poch will always be one of the pioneering managers in recent Premier history, you can't get away from his lack of silverware, even at PSG with all the riches at his disposal he's failed to make it count in the CL. Don't know much about Ten Hag, but he seems to have the right sort of character.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't think so. While Poch will always be one of the pioneering managers in recent Premier history, you can't get away from his lack of silverware, even at PSG with all the riches at his disposal he's failed to make it count in the CL. Don't know much about Ten Hag, but he seems to have the right sort of character.

I wanted Ten Hag here but don’t know whether he’ll be a success at Man Utd or not. With us he would’ve been given responsibilities and allowed to do his own thing. If it’s true that the board at ManUtd sign players based on twitter trending and therefore possible commercial success, I can’t see it working long term. As Van Gaal says, they’re a commercial club whose priority is on the stock exchange, not predominantly on the pitchside.

18 hours ago, madras said:

McTominay ?

Right, he's pretty good. You'd have thought they'd try to elevate the homegrown talent and make it the cultural backbone of the team. Also, I don't necessarily buy @Froggy's argument that Fergie got lucky. You had talented players nurtured by one of the best managers in the history of Football. What is shows is the incompetence of the front office since the Yanks took over. 

Just now, The Bonk said:

Right, he's pretty good. You'd have thought they'd try to elevate the homegrown talent and make it the cultural backbone of the team. Also, I don't necessarily buy @Froggy's argument that Fergie got lucky. You had talented players nurtured by one of the best managers in the history of Football. What is shows is the incompetence of the front office since the Yanks took over. 

I'm not saying Fergie wasn't good at nurturing talent, but a lot of amazing youngsters came through at the same time which was pretty much unheard of. I'm talking about the class of '92 specifically.

29 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'm not saying Fergie wasn't good at nurturing talent, but a lot of amazing youngsters came through at the same time which was pretty much unheard of. I'm talking about the class of '92 specifically.

Fair enough, I'm just saying you can't overrate Fergie's contribution to that group of players rise. :) 

21 hours ago, HTT II said:

I think he’ll flop…

Depends how much time they give him imo. Maybe he’ll hit the ground running and have them competing immediately, but immediate success shouldn’t come at the expense of laying new foundations. It’s a squad full of overpriced shite that needs to be completely overhauled.

I am not sure any manager could fix them, they need to fundamentally shift how they buy players, shift a load of players who they can't because of wages and stop signing players based on marketability. They will make all the right notes initially maybe even have a good first season and then they will be unable to resist signing a arthritic Messi for the shirt sales at the expense of 4 or 5 other players Hag wanted and they will be no better.