Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Funny enough I think, if we go up, he will get money to spend. They have just taken a massive and unnecessary gamble by not signing anyone now.

Agreed.

I don't know how you reconcile the two, though. If they are prepared to finance a strong team for the PL, surely now would be a good time to buy and integrate one or two players of that standard?

"Best pound for pound value out of the resources" is the mantra and they aren't going to get that in January.

It is silly but it's all about the bunce. There'll be money in the summer IMO but whether it's enough to form a PL standard side is anyone's guess.

Fucking hell!! We just aren't allowed more than 5 seconds of happiness in a row are we? If this goes to shit (which is very likely) then I'm fucking done, 100% done. Ashley man..It's so fucking depressing supporting this club. So fucking sad.

Funny enough I think, if we go up, he will get money to spend. They have just taken a massive and unnecessary gamble by not signing anyone now.

Yeah, I believe he'll have money to spend in the summer too. But why didn't we just spend some of it on Townsend in January to make sure we went up. The fat cunt loves to chuck a spanner in the works for absolutely no reason.

They have to match what McClaren got like. Any less is a joke.

One of the things here is that when Rafa confirmed he was staying and we were making daft predictions like going the whole season undefeated, it was because we still had Sissoko. Wijnaldum and Townsend on our books. Whatever you think of those players, we haven't replaced them with similar quality and it shows. January was the chance to do something to put that right and it didn't happen. I'm not confident that Rafa thinks it's going to happen in the summer now either.

Were you expecting us to have those players in the Championship? Or that we would sign players of that quality?

If we look to bring in the right standard of player in the summer, he'll stay.

That's what I thought up until yesterday, but from the statements from Rafa he seems to imply that he's been let down this window. Previously I thought him and Charnley were on the same page, that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Just a point on Rafa...

I'm in no doubt that say Steve Bruce (for example) would make more use of the squad and players Rafa has and that we would be top now and even playing better football. I genuinely believe that in this division, simples is better.

But with better players and in a better league, Bruce will be out of his depth and have NUFC struggling where as Rafa with better players would be capable of winning things, qualifying for Europe and even challenging for the title as he is a top tier manager, one of the best in the world.

And that's what we as fans need to remember and educate ourselves about. I don't like our football, I think Rafa is over analysing things in this league and I think what we are seeing with the team at the moment is players who are too regimented and its breaking down, there is no fluency, freedom etc.

Give Rafa better players though, players who aren't lacking in education tactically etc. and he can create a dynamic winning team to win things.

We have no real leaders and players who many haven't played at the highest level, players who have journeyed around and whose coaching have come from the likes of Pardew or Mick McCarthy.

Top manager = better players doesn't always work. Top manager + better players = winning team.

IMO Rafa is actually getting way more out of this team than he should be given the type of coach he is and that should show you just how good he is.

Sadly, I genuinely believe he'll be gone come the summer. He will take us up and move onto a club whose ambitions match his own because under Ashley we will never be able to satisfy a manager like him, who is all about winning.

Beyond 3 or 4 first teamers our huge squad that the media crow about is bang average. We're 2nd and have won plenty of games. We're as close, if not closer to winning the thing as lapsing into third We've hit a significant blip and a win tomorrow could change things for the better again. Ashley has decided to destablise things but for Rafa's part he is working hard and has the nous to get through this period. There are some who are needlessly losing it - the off pitch stuff is clearly a bigger worry for me.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bruce is doing a mini Rafa with Villa having taken over a shambles of a club. They are a good outside bet for the playoffs and at this level Bruce is pretty good. By better I mean certain players like Mitrovic would probably get more games and be on a few goals by now. I'm not saying we would be racing away with the league under Bruce, but I do belive Bruce as an example would have fewer defeats, a better home record and would probably have the players playing better football. But its all too short lived with someone like him.

Rafa is basically applying Real Madrid/Champions League level of coaching, analysis, preparation, minute detail to everything to a Championship team that has maybe 3 Premier League level players and a few maybes with the rest being bang average and journeymen and he has such a motley crew 2nd in the Championship.

People say we have a great squad for this level, the best players. I disagree. Brighton have the league's best player and have more of a balanced squad than us. Our team might have cost more and have more PL experience and we of course have the best manager, but it doesn't always translate to success.

Leicester won the league despite not having the best team or the best manager. Chelsea don't have the best player in the league or an experience PL manager, but they are going to win the league by the looks of it.

Anyway I don't know why I'm saying all of this because he'll be gone in the summer and we will be back to square f***ing one with Ashley and his NUFC.

Bruce has been there quite a few months now and their league position has barely improved and they've scored 7 goals away from home this season.

He inherited a shambles but with the players he's got he should be higher than 14 th or wherever they are. I don't think he'd do a better job than Rafa in our position.

We should be doing better than we are right now, we should have enough quality despite the glaring weakness to not be having to look over our shoulder as we are at the minute. That's down to the coah, I love Rafa, but at the moment for me he's only a B+ for the season as a whole. If he fails to get us up with the players available to us it will be a huge failure and probably a could be career suicide for him, at least in England.

for a coach who puts huge stock on defending and structure, it's not be anywhere good enough over the last month or so, he and the team need to improve because the teams around us are winning the games where they don't play well in, a knack we just don't seem to have.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bruce has been there quite a few months now and their league position has barely improved and they've scored 7 goals away from home this season.

He inherited a shambles but with the players he's got he should be higher than 14 th or wherever they are. I don't think he'd do a better job than Rafa in our position.

I think he'd be doing a better or very similar job. Anyway the only way people are pissing and moaning and I include myself in this is because Rafa is our manager, a great manager, and we think because of that, we should be doing better. Rightly or wrongly? Depends on how you evaluate things. On paper, sure. Scratch beneath the surface though and Rafa is doing just fine.

We should be doing better than we are right now, we should have enough quality despite the glaring weakness to not be having to look over our shoulder as we are at the minute. That's down to the coah, I love Rafa, but at the moment for me he's only a B+ for the season as a whole. If he fails to get us up with the players available to us it will be a huge failure and probably a could be career suicide for him, at least in England.

for a coach who puts huge stock on defending and structure, it's not be anywhere good enough over the last month or so, he and the team need to improve because the teams around us are winning the games where they don't play well in, a knack we just don't seem to have.

The defence and structure can be organised to the last inch or millimetre, but if the players themselves are passing the ball straight to the opposition in dangerous areas then I'm not sure defensive structure can make much difference. I think we need to see some changes in personnel, some of them look like the pressure is getting to them.

Rafa is class, he walked into a mess and sorted it out top (well almost top) to bottom.

He's done a good job, with a relatively inexperienced squad. The games we have lost can't really be held against Rafa. He's played the same players, the same tactics and the players have been inconsistent.

Look we are still second but we need to take a mental breather and sort ourselves out. Perhaps the manager could look at his tactics slightly, it would be nice for him to mix things up from time to time.

Let's remember Brighton have been utterly relentless and we are still in touch with them.

Rafa is class, he walked into a mess and sorted it out top (well almost top) to bottom.

He's done a good job, with a relatively inexperienced squad. The games we have lost can't really be held against Rafa. He's played the same players, the same tactics and the players have been inconsistent.

Look we are still second but we need to take a mental breather and sort ourselves out. Perhaps the manager could look at his tactics slightly, it would be nice for him to mix things up from time to time.

Let's remember Brighton have been utterly relentless and we are still in touch with them.

We will probably go on a run shortly and win 5 in 5 or something and retake top spot.  Plus we have to play Brighton still and we are better away from home for some reason.  I'm not that concerned really about us going up, I am just concerned Rafa might leave in the summer.  Gayle will be back soon and start banging them in again and Rafa will sort out the defence and we will be solid again.

Guest Howaythetoon

And again with Rafa, he doesn't do losing streaks. If this is a bad month...

I can think of worse months we have had!

Bruce is doing a mini Rafa with Villa having taken over a shambles of a club. They are a good outside bet for the playoffs and at this level Bruce is pretty good. By better I mean certain players like Mitrovic would probably get more games and be on a few goals by now. I'm not saying we would be racing away with the league under Bruce, but I do belive Bruce as an example would have fewer defeats, a better home record and would probably have the players playing better football. But its all too short lived with someone like him.

Rafa is basically applying Real Madrid/Champions League level of coaching, analysis, preparation, minute detail to everything to a Championship team that has maybe 3 Premier League level players and a few maybes with the rest being bang average and journeymen and he has such a motley crew 2nd in the Championship.

People say we have a great squad for this level, the best players. I disagree. Brighton have the league's best player and have more of a balanced squad than us. Our team might have cost more and have more PL experience and we of course have the best manager, but it doesn't always translate to success.

Leicester won the league despite not having the best team or the best manager. Chelsea don't have the best player in the league or an experience PL manager, but they are going to win the league by the looks of it.

Anyway I don't know why I'm saying all of this because he'll be gone in the summer and we will be back to square f***ing one with Ashley and his NUFC.

Did you not see them get taken to the cleaners by Brentford on Tuesday night?

Villa are a crock of shit.

Beyond 3 or 4 first teamers our huge squad that the media crow about is bang average. We're 2nd and have won plenty of games. We're as close, if not closer to winning the thing as lapsing into third We've hit a significant blip and a win tomorrow could change things for the better again. Ashley has decided to destablise things but for Rafa's part he is working hard and has the nous to get through this period. There are some who are needlessly losing it - the off pitch stuff is clearly a bigger worry for me.

That bang average squad hasn't been helped by some of the shite Rafa has brought in. Money might have been available if it wasn't wasted so freely in the summer.

Agreed.

I don't know how you reconcile the two, though. If they are prepared to finance a strong team for the PL, surely now would be a good time to buy and integrate one or two players of that standard?

Think it's down to our owner loving to gamble.

Fuck. Just seen his interview yesterday. It really is only a matter of time before he walks away. He feels understandably let down. Similar reason why Keegan left, lies and broken promises. Fuck the owners of this club. This club will never be anything until Ashley is fucking gone and he won't be until he chokes on his pie one day.

Appreciate having a good manager while it lasts lads, won't be the case too much longer.