Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

2 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

I'd be happy if we just have a display of our great and good managers from the past and have Howe in there amongst them.

Keegan, SBR Rafa, perhaps even the late Roeder, chris Hughton and Howe..

The rest can fuck off.

Can’t leave Joe Harvey off that list of great managers.

Maybe a flag displaying our record pre Howe and post Howe with a superimposed face on a cricket appeal titled "Hey media....HOWEZAT?!?!"

since it'll be well in cricket season and they like a link.

We can't do a Tiote homage incase it upsets Clive 'Dr Zauis' Anderson again

then again maybe not.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Guest HTT II

Would love a banner or two with some song lyrics, maybe like this from Talking Heads:

Home is where I want to be
Pick me up and turn me round
I feel numb, burn with a weak heart
I guess I must be having fun
The less we say about it the better
Make it up as we go along
Feet on the ground
Head in the sky
It's ok I know nothing's wrong... nothing

'Massively humbling' - Newcastle legend David Kelly left shocked by Wor Flags tribute

David Kelly had no idea that he was about to be immortalised in Gallowgate End flag display

Newcastle United fans unveil a tifo prior to the Premier League match between Newcastle United and Leicester City at St. James Park (Image: 2022 Getty Images)

David Kelly has revealed how he was left totally gobsmacked by Wor Flags' impressive banner display that paid tribute to his vital goal against Portsmouth from the 1991/92 season.

Kelly's goal at the Gallowgate End effectively saved Newcastle United from relegation to the old Third Division and helped lay the foundations for a brighter future for the Entertainers. Kelly also weighed in with 29 goals to help take Newcastle to the Premier League a year later.

Fast forward to 2022, on 30th anniversary of the strike against Pompey, and Kelly says he was left stunned by the moment a flag was unfurled in his honour.

Kelly told Chronicle Live: "It was a huge surprise. One of my pals Martin Henderson is based up there and I go to a couple of the away games with, we always get together and have a few beers.

"Martin knew about it - I didn't. Nobody told me. He was saying to me 20 minutes before kick off: 'Come on we need to get our seats'.

"And I was like I don't want to stare at an empty pitch for 20 minutes. He persuaded me to go out early and finish my beer! Just as they were unfurling the flag we took our seats, and when it first started I thought: 'Why are we here so early?'

"Then I spotted the Kelly part at the end of it and was totally taken aback. It was a massive surprise. I quickly realised why Martin had been playing the role of a secret agent all week."

The Kelly banner was captured by TV cameras and witnessed by the former striker's kids. Kelly reflected: "It was massively humbling it really was. The ironic part was my son Zak is a Newcastle fan and couldn't come up for the game because of prior commitments. Both of my kids were watching the game in separate places and they saw it. That made it even more special."

After witnessing what felt like another pivotal day in the club's history, Kelly was asked his verdict on Newcastle's current battle against the drop. Kelly said: "Safe and secure now. I want my other old club Leicester to beat Roma and get the Europa final.

"That would be fantastic. But it's important Newcastle stay in the Premier League. Leicester's season is Europe now."

And when quizzed whether the Bruno Guimaraes goal in the dying stages brought back any memories of the his late goal against Portsmouth, Kelly, who was controversially sold by Kevin Keegan in 1993, added: "If it was if you'd transported everything back 30 years. If Newcastle do anything it's always last minute!

"That's for sure. And it was a marvellous goal, Bruno is a super player and it was a fantastic diving header. I heard him saying he wants to go on and be a club legend and I really hope he does."

On 18/04/2022 at 17:02, HTT II said:

If we stay up, which we will, the final home game, there needs to be some thank you type banner for Howe and his staff, never mind the players!

Can we have a flag that says

"just that fella from Bournemouth"

I really think they should avoid any one-upping or sticking fingers-up to wankers gone by, whether it's Ashley men or commentators. Ultimately there's no need because whatever joy/amusement/redemption we'd get out of doing such a thing is already being delivered by NUFC simply being a better team/club. Plus it'd be very Twittery where everything's a contest to be the 'most right,' when in fact the flags are a nothing to do with anything like that (certainly now) and can just be an entirely positive entity.

Really, people like Bruce etc are barely even worth a second thought nowadays (in a NUFC context). Someone's suggested putting time, money and effort into emblazoning the words of Simon fucking Jordan onto a banner ffs. :lol: I think that would literally complete his career if we did that. 

18 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I really think they should avoid any one-upping or sticking fingers-up to wankers gone by, whether it's Ashley men or commentators. Ultimately there's no need because whatever joy/amusement/redemption we'd get out of doing such a thing is already being delivered by NUFC simply being a better team/club. Plus it'd be very Twittery where everything's a contest to be the 'most right,' when in fact the flags are a nothing to do with anything like that (certainly now) and can just be an entirely positive entity.

Really, people like Bruce etc are barely even worth a second thought nowadays (in a NUFC context). Someone's suggested putting time, money and effort into emblazoning the words of Simon fucking Jordan onto a banner ffs. :lol: I think that would literally complete his career if we did that. 

Fully agreed.

We have so many people in our history to pay homage to, let’s forget Bruce, Ashley and all the rest of the leeches existed. 

It's a mindset born out of mike Ashley's tenure. Fans have had to fight to be heard and attempt to clear all the shit slung their way for pretty much all of Ashley's reign.

Now, I literally couldn't give a shite about Mike Ashley/kinnear/Bruce/pardew/hairy hands/Rio/Simon jordan and so on.

We are now just a football club, doing the normal things a football club has people talking about. No drama, no Infighting, just football.

Long may it continue, and wor flags continue to focus on the happy memories of players/managers of better times, things that made Newcastle great.

Guest HTT II
On 19/04/2022 at 00:13, huss9 said:

'Massively humbling' - Newcastle legend David Kelly left shocked by Wor Flags tribute

David Kelly had no idea that he was about to be immortalised in Gallowgate End flag display

Newcastle United fans unveil a tifo prior to the Premier League match between Newcastle United and Leicester City at St. James Park (Image: 2022 Getty Images)

David Kelly has revealed how he was left totally gobsmacked by Wor Flags' impressive banner display that paid tribute to his vital goal against Portsmouth from the 1991/92 season.

Kelly's goal at the Gallowgate End effectively saved Newcastle United from relegation to the old Third Division and helped lay the foundations for a brighter future for the Entertainers. Kelly also weighed in with 29 goals to help take Newcastle to the Premier League a year later.

Fast forward to 2022, on 30th anniversary of the strike against Pompey, and Kelly says he was left stunned by the moment a flag was unfurled in his honour.

Kelly told Chronicle Live: "It was a huge surprise. One of my pals Martin Henderson is based up there and I go to a couple of the away games with, we always get together and have a few beers.

"Martin knew about it - I didn't. Nobody told me. He was saying to me 20 minutes before kick off: 'Come on we need to get our seats'.

"And I was like I don't want to stare at an empty pitch for 20 minutes. He persuaded me to go out early and finish my beer! Just as they were unfurling the flag we took our seats, and when it first started I thought: 'Why are we here so early?'

"Then I spotted the Kelly part at the end of it and was totally taken aback. It was a massive surprise. I quickly realised why Martin had been playing the role of a secret agent all week."

The Kelly banner was captured by TV cameras and witnessed by the former striker's kids. Kelly reflected: "It was massively humbling it really was. The ironic part was my son Zak is a Newcastle fan and couldn't come up for the game because of prior commitments. Both of my kids were watching the game in separate places and they saw it. That made it even more special."

After witnessing what felt like another pivotal day in the club's history, Kelly was asked his verdict on Newcastle's current battle against the drop. Kelly said: "Safe and secure now. I want my other old club Leicester to beat Roma and get the Europa final.

"That would be fantastic. But it's important Newcastle stay in the Premier League. Leicester's season is Europe now."

And when quizzed whether the Bruno Guimaraes goal in the dying stages brought back any memories of the his late goal against Portsmouth, Kelly, who was controversially sold by Kevin Keegan in 1993, added: "If it was if you'd transported everything back 30 years. If Newcastle do anything it's always last minute!

"That's for sure. And it was a marvellous goal, Bruno is a super player and it was a fantastic diving header. I heard him saying he wants to go on and be a club legend and I really hope he does."

That’s brilliant and something he can cherish as we cherish that goal and him as a player. I was kind of sad when we sold him, but I don’t think he had what it took in the PL, not for us anyway, by the time we did sell him. Showed how ruthless and single minded KK was to sell him and Peacock our two top scorers and players from our winning team. 

Agree with the sentiments about the final game not being anything about cunts gone by and it much rather be something like this. Chelsea (h), May 2018, last game of the season.

That was a brilliant display topped off by a bloody magical performance from the players. Took Chelsea apart that day with the sun beaming, one of my favourite games I've been to.

38 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Agree with the sentiments about the final game not being anything about cunts gone by and it much rather be something like this. Chelsea (h), May 2018, last game of the season.

That was a brilliant display topped off by a bloody magical performance from the players. Took Chelsea apart that day with the sun beaming, one of my favourite games I've been to.

😉👍

Brilliant again lads well done and appreciate the effort hope yous realise the positive effect you are having for the club and city as a whole. Know you've done a lot already but would love to see somthing for Eddie Howe in particular before the end of the season.