Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Have any attackers come from the Bundesliga over the last 5 years and been successful? Werner's record there was ridiculous.

Aubameyang before he decided not to care.

9 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Interesting. I feel like recent attacker numbers from Bundesliga aren't a great barometer of success over here. His international and European records don't look particularly great.

Yup. Same as Holland. 

Players often score for fun there and do fuck all here.

14 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah teams can’t defend, risky really getting strikers from there 

Holland I'll grant you, but Bundesliga?

I don't think these league comparisons based on a few individuals' records work all that well. A player might be good for one club and not for another even in the same country, so you can't put everything on the league for starters. Owen was a 1 in 2 striker at Liverpool and in his year at Madrid only managed 1 in 3 and failed. Similarly Bale was on fire for Spurs and failed at Madrid as well. What does this tell us about the strength of the PL and La Liga? I suspect not a great deal per se, since I think the average level in the PL (opposition defenders) is probably higher than anywhere else. A player however has to feel at ease and must fit his new surroundings. There's more to player performance than which league they  perform(ed) well in.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Right now though? Strikers are putting up insane numbers over there and failing to replicate it 

My interest in football has waned quite a bit last few years (until recently), but any obvious examples? I mean I look at Lewandowski and his record in European competition or international games for Poland doesn't seem any worse than his domestic record compared to say a Harry Kane or something?

7 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

My interest in football has waned quite a bit last few years (until recently), but any obvious examples? I mean I look at Lewandowski and his record in European competition or international games for Poland doesn't seem any worse than his domestic record compared to say a Harry Kane or something?

King Lewy is different, though.  Probably been consistently the best number 9 or at least top 3-5 in the world for how long?! 

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Have any attackers come from the Bundesliga over the last 5 years and been successful? Werner's record there was ridiculous.

Werner, Havertz, Sancho cost more than 200 million in transfer fees, paid around three quarter million in wages per week combined and have contributed four goals and 3 assists in 44 PL games this season. I wonder if three high profile transfers not living up is just an anomaly or indicative of the way Bundesliga defenses play the last few years. If you go back more than 5 years there are some notable successes - Son, Sane, De Bruyne, Firmino etc. 

2 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Werner, Havertz, Sancho cost more than 200 million in transfer fees, paid around three quarter million in wages per week combined and have contributed four goals and 3 assists in 44 PL games this season. I wonder if three high profile transfers not living up is just an anomaly or indicative of the way Bundesliga defenses play the last few years. If you go back more than 5 years there are some notable successes - Son, Sane, De Bruyne, Firmino etc. 

Great Post.

Bundesliga defences are absolute junk. It's probably the main reason why German clubs absolutely stink the place out in European competition, with the obvious exception. Dortmund get easily binned out before the quarters every year (conceding a hatful in the process), and even taking into account the Europa League, no German club (other than RBL, once) have gone anywhere near a semi for donkey's years. Clubs like Leverkusen and Gladbach finish 3rd and 4th regularly and then you hardly notice they're even in the CL because they go out so quickly. Dortmund and Wolfsburg both had really favourable groups this year and still got dumped out conceding a ton of goals.

There was a stat at some point last season, Bayern conceded the first goal in 8 consecutive Bundesliga games and they didn't lose a single one of them. In at least a couple of those games they went 2-0 down. They don't give a shit about conceding because they know it's so easy to step up and blow the opposition away. 

I really think clubs should be as careful buying attacking players from Germany now as from the Netherlands in the past.

Having said all that, and to contradict my first sentence slightly, I don't think it's so much to do with a lack of good defenders, the game in Germany currently, and for several years now, has a very carefree feel about it. Very few teams play with defensive solidity (Wolfsburg did last season and RBL before this season, notable outliers), most teams tend to have an attitude of just trying to score more than each other. Maybe that's a consequence of knowing none of them have a cat in hell's chance of winning the league.

14 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I believe it’s more indicative of the league than anything else, but it’s interesting for sure 

For me its that they are using Sancho in a way that doesnt work for his playstyle. Its like the Verane transfer, they bought the player without understanding or wanting to understand what made them perform so well in the teams they were playing. Timo, not so sure about personally, but at least for Sancho and Varane it feels like they have been bought for names and no understanding on why they did play so good.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

Bundesliga defences are absolute junk. It's probably the main reason why German clubs absolutely stink the place out in European competition, with the obvious exception. Dortmund get easily binned out before the quarters every year (conceding a hatful in the process), and even taking into account the Europa League, no German club (other than RBL, once) have gone anywhere near a semi for donkey's years. Clubs like Leverkusen and Gladbach finish 3rd and 4th regularly and then you hardly notice they're even in the CL because they go out so quickly. Dortmund and Wolfsburg both had really favourable groups this year and still got dumped out conceding a ton of goals.

There was a stat at some point last season, Bayern conceded the first goal in 8 consecutive Bundesliga games and they didn't lose a single one of them. In at least a couple of those games they went 2-0 down. They don't give a shit about conceding because they know it's so easy to step up and blow the opposition away. 

I really think clubs should be as careful buying attacking players from Germany now as from the Netherlands in the past.

Having said all that, and to contradict my first sentence slightly, I don't think it's so much to do with a lack of good defenders, the game in Germany currently, and for several years now, has a very carefree feel about it. Very few teams play with defensive solidity (Wolfsburg did last season and RBL before this season, notable outliers), most teams tend to have an attitude of just trying to score more than each other. Maybe that's a consequence of knowing none of them have a cat in hell's chance of winning the league.

Can't imagine the German pressing rent-a-coach that absolutely everybody employs helps either. High lines AOTS mixed with slow centre backs and full backs that can't defend. It can be good to watch, if Bayern aren't playing, as it's unpredictable but tactically it's pretty dull IMO.

See also the German national team stinking recent tournaments out and looking absolutely woeful at the back. 

Saying that there are obviously still some good players in and coming from the league. Sancho has moved to a team with no plan of playing from a set way of playing at Dortmund and Havertz is technically brilliant.