Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

I think you are all being harsh on Longstaff. This is Curtis Jones's performance yesterday which is being universally praised. To be fair, it was an impressive performance.

But if you look at the key moments, he is finding space. He has an attacking frame of mind and whenever he tries something you can see Gini or Henderson slightly behind. Not trying to deny Curtis's obvious talent but there is a high level of coaching and tactical instructions that went into that performance being impressive. There are players making intelligent runs in front of him and players at the back to mop up in case he made mistakes. Klopp knows how to work with youngsters and it shows.

It was the same for Longstaff against City two years ago. It was very obvious that he was given very clear instructions and he executed them brilliantly. I think Curtis is more naturally talented than Longstaff, but put Longstaff in a setup where players, especially youngsters are given a more rigid tactical framework, and he will look very good. You don't look that impressive as a youngster against a City team that consistently hit 90 points unless you have something in your locker.

top post

:lol: "Allow me to demonstrate this point by showing you how class everything is at my club."

(I'm just jealous)

:lol:

A nice bit of objectivity is nice now and again. I can't get too angry at Longstaff. He's not the one keeping himself on the field. He badly needs a bit of time out of the side but even if that happens, we all know the real issue is the total lack of direction from the guy in the dugout.

I'd love to see him get back to the form he showed under Rafa but it ain't gonna happen under Bruce. I think the best option for him would be a January loan move to get himself back on track at a club where he'd receive some actual half-decent coaching.

top post

:lol: "Allow me to demonstrate this point by showing you how class everything is at my club."

(I'm just jealous)

Sorry  :D, Not my intention at all.  When things are not going well, the last thing anyone needs is someone from outside preaching  :D. I rarely post in this forum as I know how it can come across at times. Unless there are Rafa related issues where I feel I can add something.

top post

(I'm just jealous)

Sorry  :D, Not my intention at all.  When things are not going well, the last thing anyone needs is someone from outside preaching  :D. I rarely post in this forum as I know how it can come across at times. Unless there are Rafa related issues where I feel I can add something.

Was only joshing, you're a good contributor to this place.

I don’t disagree with rgk’s post really, but Jones is on another level to Longstaff. He’s athletic, he has good awareness and control and attacking confidence.

Of course Sean looked much better under a decent manager in a decent system, that’s not to be forgotten.

I remember playing cricket against him the summer before he made his debut and he was class. Wish he’d stuck with that now.

There’s still a potential player in there - I think the Carrick comparisons weren’t silly in that spell under Rafa. In better teams he’ll also get chances to shoot more as he seems to have an impressive strike from what we’ve seen. Confidence looks shot to bits though sadly.

Look we know all about Bruce and what his shitty coaching can do to a player but the way Longstaff is carrying on out there it’s like he’s given up, not just on his club or teammates, but his own career too.

There’s no excuse for looking so knackered, he’s not been overplayed.

I don’t think the criticism is unfair, he’s a professional player earning a shit ton of money to do so. The very least he should be doing is ensuring he’s at peak fitness.

Look we know all about Bruce and what his shitty coaching can do to a player but the way Longstaff is carrying on out there it’s like he’s given up, not just on his club or teammates, but his own career too.

There’s no excuse for looking so knackered, he’s not been overplayed.

I don’t think the criticism is unfair, he’s a professional player earning a shit ton of money to do so. The very least he should be doing is ensuring he’s at peak fitness.

One caveat, not that we press but having the ball constantly moved around you, and never having much possession yourself, can lead to that.

Writing was on the wall for me when he kept getting described to Michael Carrick. He plays the same way - ponderous, slow - but at an infinitely lower level.

I'd probably rather he played further forward. He's proven himself a bit of a goal threat. Hope he can turn it around but seems unlikely under a melon like Bruce.

Writing was on the wall for me when he kept getting described to Michael Carrick. He plays the same way - ponderous, slow - but at an infinitely lower level.

I'd probably rather he played further forward. He's proven himself a bit of a goal threat. Hope he can turn it around but seems unlikely under a melon like Bruce.

This is it for me - I think he's an attacking midfielder, but we rarely have the ball long enough for him to even play that position. We'll never know how good any of our players can be whilst we have a fraud for a manager. Perhaps we can send him out on loan in January to a team where he can show what he can do so we can sell him in summer.

Absolute fucking disgrace.

Today wasn’t about having a poor manager, having a poor coaching staff, or just having a bad game.

Today was about being purposefully poor and just not giving a fuck. The amount of passes that see open to him when he had a man, 2, or even 3 on him and he never passed was just fucking selfish.

He was more concerned about winning a freekick.

A number of times when play changed the position of players so he became open for a pass, he would go and hide behind a man again.

Let on in the game we had a throw in that Yedlin took in line with the penalty box, despite being the only players of ours unmarked and having no player around him for 15 yards he turned his back to Yedlin and walked away from him and towards a Fulham player.

Today was not about bad tactics or anything, today was him deliberately saying he doesn’t give a fuck, be that he’s given up or be that he’s pissed of with the management, but there is no way even a semi-professional footballer could have done what he did today without knowing what they were doing.