Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

My personal view, I've always quite liked Steve Bruce. I don't think he's a very good manager (certainly a massive downgrade on Rafa), but I've always liked him as a guy. Nothing I've seen so far has changed that. I personally do believe that he has the club at heart (I know a couple of his close friends and he is definitely NUFC through and through... always has been). I don't blame him for taking the job... any NUFC fan who was offered it would jump at the chance thinking that they could make it tick again.

happy enough to ignore his total shithousery to sheff wed then?  and his previous record for fucking clubs over to further his own ambition

nice guy steve

My personal view, I've always quite liked Steve Bruce. I don't think he's a very good manager (certainly a massive downgrade on Rafa), but I've always liked him as a guy. Nothing I've seen so far has changed that. I personally do believe that he has the club at heart (I know a couple of his close friends and he is definitely NUFC through and through... always has been). I don't blame him for taking the job... any NUFC fan who was offered it would jump at the chance thinking that they could make it tick again.

happy enough to ignore his total shithousery to sheff wed then?  and his previous record for fucking clubs over to further his own ambition

nice guy steve

There's absolutely no chance I take the job. Not because of Ashley, but because I know I'm not the man for the job.

You do realise just how extreme the views on this forum are right? Literally every fan I've spoken to outside of here (some of the guys I used to go to the game with, and some lads I play 5 a side with)... they're all willing to give him a chance. The anger is solely directed in one direction, and it's not Bruce's.

This place and Twitter just aren't remotely parallel to the general feeling... not even close. A very loud, aggressive and militant echo chamber.

The main reason I'm angry is because ultimately he is a huge step-down from Rafa, and Ashley has yet again shown his complete lack of ambition. Rafa should have been backed, without question. But he's gone.

I just can't bring myself to be particularly angry at a guy who has fallen on his feet and taken a dream job. We all would have done it too.

I have jacked in my season ticket this year, mainly due to anger at the club's lack of ambition, but I know absolutely fine well that I will still get the same buzz if I ever do go at all this season, especially if we win... I know that because I've already found myself getting excited at the prospect of these signings. I don't think you can lose that childlike excitement... I know I can't. Maybe that's a fault of mine.

I’m not sure I agree. Pretty much everyone I have spoken too about NUFC are angry, some won’t even talk about it anymore because the anger is that bad. I’m even coming across fans of other clubs who are starting to agree with us, I thinks it’s the case that allowing Rafa to leave has made fans of other clubs sit up and take notice.

My stepdad worked with Bruce’s brother, and you are right, he’s a Newcastle fan. However any self respecting fan should have looked at the bigger picture, Keegan, Shearer, and Rafa all told him not to take the job on. He ignored the advice of what are now 3 legends of the club.

nice guy steve

Or his playing a song bullshit if Sunderland beat us. The anaphylactic faced cunt can fuck off

Guest chopey

Fat-headed fucking gobshite.

Fuck me bruce looks a lot worse than I remembered, it’s like he’s had an anaphylactic reaction and his face has taken the brunt of it.

Ashley was there to slap his new thoroughbred on the arse and that's it.

nice guy steve

Shithousery? All I've read is speculation.

You do realise just how extreme the views on this forum are right? Literally every fan I've spoken to outside of here (some of the guys I used to go to the game with, and some lads I play 5 a side with)... they're all willing to give him a chance. The anger is solely directed in one direction, and it's not Bruce's.

This place and Twitter just aren't remotely parallel to the general feeling... not even close. A very loud, aggressive and militant echo chamber.

The main reason I'm angry is because ultimately he is a huge step-down from Rafa, and Ashley has yet again shown his complete lack of ambition. Rafa should have been backed, without question. But he's gone.

I just can't bring myself to be particularly angry at a guy who has fallen on his feet and taken a dream job. We all would have done it too.

I have jacked in my season ticket this year, mainly due to anger at the club's lack of ambition, but I know absolutely fine well that I will still get the same buzz if I ever do go at all this season, especially if we win... I know that because I've already found myself getting excited at the prospect of these signings. I don't think you can lose that childlike excitement... I know I can't. Maybe that's a fault of mine.

I’m not sure I agree. Pretty much everyone I have spoken too about NUFC are angry, some won’t even talk about it anymore because the anger is that bad. I’m even coming across fans of other clubs who are starting to agree with us, I thinks it’s the case that allowing Rafa to leave has made fans of other clubs sit up and take notice.

My stepdad worked with Bruce’s brother, and you are right, he’s a Newcastle fan. However any self respecting fan should have looked at the bigger picture, Keegan, Shearer, and Rafa all told him not to take the job on. He ignored the advice of what are now 3 legends of the club.

Let's see how angry everyone is once we've made a few more signings and the season is upon us.

Rightly or wrongly, I can almost guarantee you that the anger will have simmered and there'll be at least 45k at the Arsenal game. People just want to watch their team... it's a simple as that. You've got to remember that at least 75% of that stadium on a match day will leave the ground and barely give NUFC another thought until the next match. They're not all "die hard", "read everything on the internet" kinds of fans. Sure, some are. But most, and certainly those I've spoken to, are just too busy in their day to day lives to really get angry enough.

Rightly or wrongly, at lot of people's attitudes are simply "life's too short" to worry too much about it. I can see it from both sides.

Bruce isn't going to call Ashley names in his press conference. at this moment in time we need players and him getting on with the owner will help that. it will all go wrong in the fullness of time of course.

nice guy steve

Let's see how angry everyone is once we've made a few more signings and the season is upon us.

Rightly or wrongly, I can almost guarantee you that the anger will have simmered and there'll be at least 45k at the Arsenal game. People just want to watch their team... it's a simple as that. You've got to remember that at least 75% of that stadium on a match day will leave the ground and barely give NUFC another thought until the next match. They're not all "die hard", "read everything on the internet" kinds of fans. Sure, some are. But most, and certainly those I've spoken to, are just too busy in their day to day lives to really get angry enough.

Rightly or wrongly, at lot of people's attitudes are simply "life's too short" to worry too much about it. I can see it from both sides.

Too busy in their lives to consider whether they are being robbed blind. I can believe that.

Guest chopey

Sad but true, we as a fan base are just roll over its pathetic really, but those fans are not true supporters they are merely spectators and if something else turned up that was better to do on a Saturday afternoon you wouldn't see them for dust.

I have sacrificed my season ticket this year for what I believe is the long term good of the club, but if a spectator fills it then that's fine but the quality of the already quiet support will decrease but my conscience is clear and for those that say protests wont work just look at Roma, Dortmond and West Ham.

Sad but true, we as a fan base are just roll over its pathetic really, but those fans are not true supporters they are merely spectators and if something else turned up that was better to do on a Saturday afternoon you wouldn't see them for dust.

I have sacrificed my season ticket this year for what I believe is the long term good of the club, but if a spectator fills it then that's fine but the quality of the already quiet support will decrease but my conscience is clear that I have given up something I love for the long term future of the club.

Honestly, and without any internet bravado, how vocal a supporter were you on a match day? A big singer?

nice guy steve

Too busy in their lives to consider whether they are being robbed blind. I can believe that.

Yeah, 100%. Most match day customers are relatively casual fans in comparison to people on this forum. Most just want to go to the football. It's an emotional, communal thing for them. They enjoy it, regardless of the ownership.

nice guy steve

Yeah, 100%. Most match day customers are relatively casual fans in comparison to people on this forum. Most just want to go to the football. It's an emotional, communal thing for them. They enjoy it, regardless of the ownership.

Just the same as any other consumer. I know, I get it. That is why time is more valuable than money. The match is like a direct debit for your social account. Cancelling and setting up alternative arrangements is just too much hassle.

nice guy steve

Depressing and true. I don't know the reasons why, though I'm sure it revolves around wider social/societal factors (maybe ticket prices/wealth), but the matchgoing percentage of the fanbase doesn't have the mentality to protest en masse like people have done in Italy and Germany.

nice guy steve

Depressing and true. I don't know the reasons why, though I'm sure it revolves around wider social/societal factors (maybe ticket prices/wealth), but the matchgoing percentage of the fanbase doesn't have the mentality to protest en masse like people have done in Italy and Germany.

That's an interesting point. I've been wondering why our fans are willing to take so much while other clubs actually manage to have united organised protests. Wonder if the location of the stadium is a factor as well.

I think location is the biggest factor. It's a long standing cultural tradition of the city, on Saturday you go into the city centre, fill the pubs and walk to the match. It's easy to forget that the majority of fans in this country can't do that, and certainly not in the PL.

If the habit of leaving the pub at 5 to 3 and being back at the bar before 5pm suddenly became sit in the car for an hour trying to find a parking space, or stuff yourself into a packed train on the way out to a retail park, watching a Steve Bruce team instantly looks a lot less appealing.

The location is definitely a factor. Reading fans have to catch a bus to a retail park way out of town, and when they're not at the match they can't see the club at all. If that was Newcastle it would be much easier to sack it off.

TBH football fans are really supposed to not have to worry about ownership etc. The problem is in our case it allows Ashley to suck us dry without consequences.

I think location is the biggest factor. It's a long standing cultural tradition of the city, on Saturday you go into the city centre, fill the pubs and walk to the match. It's easy to forget that the majority of fans in this country can't do that, and certainly not in the PL.

If the habit of leaving the pub at 5 to 3 and being back at the bar before 5pm suddenly became sit in the car for an hour trying to find a parking space, or stuff yourself into a packed train on the way out to a retail park, watching a Steve Bruce team instantly looks a lot less appealing.

Absolutely. Although they obviously get much lower crowds than us the mackems have it similar to a lesser degree. Stick the Estadio de la Shite out near the A19 and their crowds would wilt.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

nice guy steve

That's an interesting point. I've been wondering why our fans are willing to take so much while other clubs actually manage to have united organised protests. Wonder if the location of the stadium is a factor as well.

Is it possible that we're so shit at protesting at/in the ground because:

1 - the majority of diehards have already sacked it off and are actively staying away

2 - a lot of season ticket holders became so in the last 12 years and this is all they've known

3 - some matchgoing fans actually don't really care, they just want to watch football, irrespective of the broader connotations

4 - some matchgoing fans are pure consumers as opposed to traditional fans, therefore are unconcerned about how the club is run as long as they receive a product they perceive as acceptable for the price

5 - we have more football tourists/daytrippers than we may have previously considered

Just a hypothesis for discussion before anyone starts calling me a cunt.

Sigh

In a Tusk-esque scenario (film), if we buttered the bodies of Ashley and Bruce and sort of stitched their torsos together, we could create the ultimate shitcunt 'Brooshley'.

nice guy steve

I personally pay no attention to things like that, clubs are quick to fire managers when things are looking slightly dodgy while obviously managers will jump to what they perceive as a better job at the first given opportunity theres no moral high ground

nice guy steve

I personally pay no attention to things like that, clubs are quick to fire managers when things are looking slightly dodgy while obviously managers will jump to what they perceive as a better job at the first given opportunity theres no moral high ground

Yeah this is a bit of a poor excuse for a dig and it's all very much faux twitter/daily mail outrage. Be pissy about his comments about the US post Sunderland matches but lets not get delicate about stuff that doesn't affect us.

Its just football nowadays and we're hardly innocent ourselves, Perez got shit loads of abuse on here and from the stands until he turned hero.