Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I can reckon that had Ashley been born as ruler of Saudi Arabia he’d be worse than MBS

Belated reply, granted, but I doubt even Khashoggi himself would've taken being publicly marched out of the embassy after being forced into a Donnay Poly Trakkie over beheading and chopping up.

Who would of thought it only take everyone to stop going to the matches for Ashley to decide to sell up......

Haha, such a valid point.  :icon_salut:

"He doesn't need the gate money, I'm not stopping going!"

Gate money becomes zero, Ashley immediately sells.

The term 'sportswashing' that has become popular was created from a morally superior stone-throwing position.

Its all very "Look at what they do! (but please don't look at us)." There's probably only a handfull of govts in the world that have a pretty clean record. Then you could create a scale, 'but what they do IS worse than what we ever did'. The truth of it is the worlds a shit place if you peer through enough curtains and lift enough rugs.

Oil is unsustainable and an investment fund exists to diversify away from that and provide more options. That's the way I'm looking at it. I'm not expecting a Man City/Chelsea situation anyway, this will likely be a long term project managed much more sensibly.

Good point that. Moral is all relative therefore one can never say that something is evil or good. Every action, deed, process, activity can be seen as good or evil, it's all in the eye of the beholder. Therefore by your impeccable logic, we cannot ever criticize anyone or anything, lest we fall in to the morally superior stone-throwing position, which you have decried.

I was suggesting there was a degree of hypocrisy in taking a morally superior position without looking carefully at a lot of things. I was not suggesting there is no such thing as right or wrong.

As Kevin Spacey's K-Pax character said, "The whole Universe knows right from wrong".

Shame Kevin Spacey didn't

;D I know, went through my head as I typed it.

Who would of thought it only take everyone to stop going to the matches for Ashley to decide to sell up......

Definitely this. I think those who packed in last summer helped this - it was the first time there was some proper coverage of it and he shat himself.

It's perfectly possible to enjoy supporting the club but still disapprove of the actions of the owners in other areas. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

My main gripe with Ashley has always been his running of the club I supported. I've only ever drawn attention to his shit business practices as a way to put pressure on his ownership of the club. For example, whilst I acknowledge he's a cunt, I can't say I lose any sleep about how Philip Green runs his retail empire. He's of no consequence to me.

What I want from my football club owner is someone who does their best firstly for the football club and, secondly, the region. Irrespective of how much I disapprove of their other practices, I'm not going to fight against them if they're doing their best on the footballing front. I'll let others who are involved in that specific area fight that fight, because first and foremost I'm a football supporter, not a diplomat or MP or Journalist. Let others do their job in that regard and I'll do mine of enjoying the football.

After 13 years, I fucking deserve that much. I'm too tired.

:thup:

It's perfectly possible to enjoy supporting the club but still disapprove of the actions of the owners in other areas. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

My main gripe with Ashley has always been his running of the club I supported. I've only ever drawn attention to his shit business practices as a way to put pressure on his ownership of the club. For example, whilst I acknowledge he's a cunt, I can't say I lose any sleep about how Philip Green runs his retail empire. He's of no consequence to me.

What I want from my football club owner is someone who does their best firstly for the football club and, secondly, the region. Irrespective of how much I disapprove of their other practices, I'm not going to fight against them if they're doing their best on the footballing front. I'll let others who are involved in that specific area fight that fight, because first and foremost I'm a football supporter, not a diplomat or MP or Journalist. Let others do their job in that regard and I'll do mine of enjoying the football.

How many morally sound individuals are multi billionaires and in the market to buy football clubs? Probably none, let's be honest. Football is fucked, but at least we can enjoy it again.

:thup: This is pretty much what I tried to say earlier.

x infinity

As abhorrent as their ruling practises are if they invest in the city and its wider infrastructure as well as the club it’d be hard for anyone with an interest not to get on board or at least be sympathetic. It’s sure as hell needed and will be more than ever post pandemic.

How many morally sound individuals are multi billionaires and in the market to buy football clubs? Probably none, let's be honest. Football is f***ed, but at least we can enjoy it again.

There's a difference between private individuals and Governments owning clubs though

How many morally sound individuals are multi billionaires and in the market to buy football clubs? Probably none, let's be honest. Football is fucked, but at least we can enjoy it again.

Mike Ashley is probably one of the better possible owners on paper. Before we knew what he would do.

As abhorrent as their ruling practises are if they invest in the city and its wider infrastructure as well as the club it’d be hard for anyone with an interest not to get on board or at least be sympathetic. It’s sure as hell needed and will be more than ever post pandemic.

I feel like the whole thing is a rejuvenation project for them, not just owning a club for marketing's sake. If being competitive at the top was the only concern there had to have been much better options - including in other leagues - in terms of time and investment required to be competitive. Even at 2x or 3x our price.

I’m pretty sure they already have a manger in mind and have held some sort of talks with them, they wouldn’t have gotten this far without a plan

Staveley has had plenty of talks with Rafa. He's been the plan all along as he was the one who convinced her of the clubs potential. We've literally got Rafa to thank for this if/when it goes through.  :lol:

about the moral relativism piece

afaik very few people chucked their ST's the moment ashley's business practices were revealed to go and stand outside his shops calling for a bouycott - rather it was used as a means to an end by a small minority (that i fully supported btw) once it became very clear what his intentions were, and had we known ashley was a piece of shit in 2007 i highly doubt very few would have had anything to say then either because we were so desperate to get rid of shepherd

i find the saudi regime reprehensible but they're buying a sporting institution and unless they choose to the run the club into the ground for 13 years then i won't be standing outside the ground with banners and flags calling for them to fuck off at this point

i chose to divorce the two things with ashley until such time as he was clearly taking the piss out of the club, and for me it'll require something similar for this lot

don't expect everyone to feel the same mind

EDIT: shit Chris R got in ahead of me