Joe Willock

He didn't do much initially for us last season either, then he hit a purple spell at the close of the season. He's a good player IMO, got a lot of qualities. He's another one I would trust a good manager to get some mileage from. If nothing else he would be one hell of a player to have on the bench. 

I think we have to forget what he did last season. He scored a boat load of goals and looked like a Ferrari surrounded by Fiats. Truth is we didn't control games at all at that point and he - like Saint Maximin - was just finding the game and making the most of it. 

I'd like to see a bit more conditioning with him. He still looks a yard slower and softer than last season, but I think having him float around midfield could be a nice compliment to Shelvey sitting deeper and picking passes.

Still think he is good on the ball going forward and his late runs into the box offer us something that nobody else brings from that position. 

He seems shit scared to put a foot in or challenge for a header, though. Considering he plays centre mid, that’s unacceptable. 

I still really like him. But feels shoehorned into the team at the minute. The 2 of him and Shelvey leaves us massively exposed. Lost count of the time and hooked clearance or random hoof up the pitch would land straight on a Burnley player’s foot. The space between the back 4 and midfield was huge. 

On 05/12/2021 at 14:04, Lush Vlad said:

Still think he is good on the ball going forward and his late runs into the box offer us something that nobody else brings from that position. 

He seems shit scared to put a foot in or challenge for a header, though. Considering he plays centre mid, that’s unacceptable. 

I still really like him. But feels shoehorned into the team at the minute. The 2 of him and Shelvey leaves us massively exposed. Lost count of the time and hooked clearance or random hoof up the pitch would land straight on a Burnley player’s foot. The space between the back 4 and midfield was huge. 

He does some good stuff going forwards, and he does make excellent runs into the box, but one of those times where he bottled a 50-50 almost cost us a goal. Ultimately that side of his game is why Arsenal let him go, I hope Howe can get him to take more responsibility in that regard. Otherwise he'll end up being moved on again. 

Literally the exact same story as Kenedy here, like. :lol:

Turning out to be an absolutely terrible signing at £25million and absolutely Bruce-era-ariffic. No real thought to whether or not it was the right signing or where he'd actually fit. Just an assumption that he'd carry on scoring every week. 

Nowt more inevitable than this lad's form totally nosediving. Needs removing from the team ASAP tbh. 

Totally understand if Howe's playing some sort of game to try and get the best out of him, but I've got absolutely no idea what that might be and at the moment it's definitely not working. How he was still on the pitch beyond 45 minutes let alone at the end is beyond me. Shelvey came off but put in far more work than Willock did, which says it all considering Shelvey's limitations.

Edited by kisearch

Today has definitely confirmed that Willock prefers more time and space/freedom to function as a competent footballer, he clearly can't handle additional responsibilities in a two man midfield and just panics on and off the ball. It's actually got to a point where you can see Shelvey covering for Willock's deficiencies and that speaks volumes.

Time to take him out of the team and put Hayden in (certainly for the next 3 matches). 

What a bitter disappointment he's turning out to be.