Yorkie

4 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

If we could only sign 5 players I'd probably go:

CAM

CDM

RW

RB

LB

As calamitous as our defence is we have nobody on the pitch who can either score or create anything other than Wilson and ASM. 

Would have RB and LB above RW but 2 centre midfielders and 2 full backs are a must. Would probably go striker over winger too to complete the 5.

At least one CM that can control the game is the highest priority for me. If we retain more possession and play how we want to play, the defense will look much better without any upgrades at all (although I do believe we need new defenders as well). 

In order of priority for me (if we could only make 5 signings)

1. CM

2. CB

3. CM

4. LB

5. RB

Before Lewis went out with that nasty hamstring injury I'd probably put RB at 4 and CF at 5 but Joelinton, ASM & Gayle is better cover for Wilson than what we have as cover for left back.

Someone mentioned about a dozen pages back that we should perhaps revisit the "Realistic Transfers Thread" to separate players we want or think we should go for from those we are actually linked with? I have to say I agree with that idea - especially after the last few pages. We could even do loans and purchases

The Athletic article from when Hammond was hired mentioned a shopping list of positions - it seems to be David Ornstein's thoughts rather than Hammond's, but he lists these positions:

"A ball-playing, athletic centre-back, a dynamic midfielder and a progressive full-back are among the priority positions that require strengthening."

"Ideally, an attacking midfielder and a striker would also arrive, but conducting such extensive surgery on a squad in January is rare and also notoriously difficult."

So DC, MC, DL(?), AMC, SC? (The article was written after Lewis was injured and Trippier linked, so maybe they're thinking Trippier as DL?)

Botman, Kamara, Tripper/Digne, Alli, Vlahovic. Sorted :thup:

Edited by Raconteur

12 hours ago, 54 said:

Are people shitting on Dubs all of a sudden? Thats news. Personally think he's a great keeper, bit off form since he came back from injury admittedly, but he's gained us much more points then he's cost us, and would personally rank him as our second best keeper of the Premier League era.

Srnicek, Hislop, Prime Harper & Krul all better for us imo.

3 hours ago, Sima said:

Srnicek, Hislop, Prime Harper & Krul all better for us imo.

Nah. Krul's distribution was shocking, his shot stopping and handling are/were good, but he rarely commanded his area (bit like Shay, except Shay was one of the GOAT's when it came to shot stopping).

Harper, nah. He was too slow. Decent enough allrounder but should have left us and played more often in the Prem. Dubs doesn't let Xabi Alonso score past him from his own half.

Pav was the weak link in the sides he was in, can't remember a great deal about him if I'm honest.

Hislop is the only one you could really argue. I remember him being steady, only reason he left was because we signed Shay.

9 hours ago, Raconteur said:

Botman, Kamara, Tripper/Digne, Alli, Vlahovic. Sorted :thup:

:lol: so just the 150+ million then? Would be nice.

I’d leave out Vlahovic (never realistic anyway) for a cheaper option and use the extra funds for another defender.

10 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

I love Srnicek but if we had Schmeichel in goal and Man U Big Pav, we would have walked the league.

Given was the only recent keeper I can think of that was better than Dubs. Dubs makes mistakes but is let down by having an awful defence in front of him.

Agree with the first sentence but it doesn’t make Dubravka better than him imo.

Schmeichel is arguably the GOAT.

Edited by Sima